Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #1906
supertarmac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Rattling Sound from Engine

Hey guys,

I haven't been able to ride the BW200 much, I apologize for not having an accurate update on the ride quality of the new tires (Kenda Knarly 535A 22x11-9 and Dunlop KT511 25x8-12). I did not feel much of a difference between these new tires and the stock ones on the small amount of riding I've done though.

The reason I haven't been able to ride is because I haven't been able to adjust the bike properly. I got the bike around two months ago, but it did not have an air filter. So I rode it a bit just to test it and it ran LEAN. It would backfire, hesitate when opening the throttle past half way and the spark plug would come out white. It made a rattling sound which I assume was pre-ignition (pinging) and when idling when warmed up it would die. Also when having the throttle slightly opened (like 1/8) the rpms would go up and down, without changing the throttle position. I attributed all of this to the lack of air flow restriction because of not having an air filter.

So the filter finally arrived. I installed it but nothing changed . It still lacked a lot of power.

So yesterday, I changed the needle setting to the first slot (richest), and the bike runs pretty good, but still has the rattling sound coming from the engine. Here is a video so you can hear it:

It still dies while idling when it is warmed up (I have adjusted the rpm screw but it still dies) and when having the throttle at 1/8 it still goes up and down on rpm's without changing the throttle position.

I have:

Checked the gas cap for flow - OK
Checked the fuel filter for obstruction - OK
Cleaned the Carburetor throughly twice
Checked Airbox and Carburator Rubber Connection for Leaks - OK
Checked Spark Plug Gap and used a couple of new ones for reading
I am using Premium Fuel
Oil Filter is clean / Air Filter is new
I am using Yamalube 10W-40 Mineral Oil

The original owner almost did not use it. It has very low hours. The main jet is stock (#108) and I have the pilot crew at 1.5 turns from the closed position.

I closed the pilot screw almost completely to make it run rich. It felt like it was running on choke, but it STILL had the rattling sound from the engine. So I don't know if the pinging sound is actually because of running lean? Or could the timing be off? Could it be the valves? Even if the bike has been used very very little.

Here is how the spark plugs look right now. They have a white tip, but tan color on the lower part. Does it look like it is still running lean?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Many many thanks.
supertarmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #1907
Cliff h
[IMG]http://i219.pho

Oddometer: 256
Yupper,

Mr. Bigwheel would be the best person to ask on the studding matter. I have been slacking this winter and have not yet mounted up my studs. Most of my procrastination is due to the fact that my rear sprocket is badly worn. I am about to pull the trigger on the sprocket adapter for my 350's. I also need to replace my rear wheel bearings and brakes. I also need to lube the eccentrics, adjust the valves, clean the air filter, change the oil....... I will blame my lack of progress on the holiday season and other obligations. Mr. Bigwheel may need to recycle video shots taken in the past couple of winters to get enough usable shots to make a winter '13/'14 season vid.

Supertarmac,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but my feeling is that your CDI is faulty. It seems that you have eliminated most of the other possibilities. Unfortunately, BW 200 CDI's are very rare and expensive when you can find one. Sixpepper is the Bigwheel Guru. He has installed CDI's from other people's suspect BW's onto his pristine steeds to confirm if indeed you posses a faulty CDI. I have now converted to the Sixpepper religion. He is my new Pope. Maybe you should consider seeking his council as well.
Cliff h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #1908
Cliff h

Speaking of recycling, here are some of my favorite old BW shots, most if not all taken by Mr. Bigwheel:

Old 12-11-2013, 06:21 AM   #1909
wingnut racer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Magoo's Shoes

Bike has new shoes installed 'em myself. Just probably some dirt in there.
wingnut racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #1910
DEAVER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
nice pics

Holy shit boy u got some nice scenery over there in Alaska.
DEAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:29 AM   #1911
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Oddometer: 747
Little known fact: Cliff was actually the body double for those underwear ads that Marky Mark did back in the Eighties. He makes picture-taking easy.

Yupper,

The Bruno Wessel stuff is indeed high quality. It is also rather spendy. That is what we have been using for a few years. There is a bit of a learning curve and it's not the easiest task, but it is effective.

The only other alternative that I'm aware of are the Grip studs that screw into the tire with a drill:

http://www.maxigripstore.com/motorcycle-tire-studs/

They look to be much easier to install than the Bruno Wessel studs but come at an even steeper price. Since we're fully invested in the Bruno Wessel system it doesn't seem as attractive.

If I was in your shoes, I'd be giving it serious consideration.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:34 AM   #1912
supertarmac
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff h View Post
Yupper,

Mr. Bigwheel would be the best person to ask on the studding matter. I have been slacking this winter and have not yet mounted up my studs. Most of my procrastination is due to the fact that my rear sprocket is badly worn. I am about to pull the trigger on the sprocket adapter for my 350's. I also need to replace my rear wheel bearings and brakes. I also need to lube the eccentrics, adjust the valves, clean the air filter, change the oil....... I will blame my lack of progress on the holiday season and other obligations. Mr. Bigwheel may need to recycle video shots taken in the past couple of winters to get enough usable shots to make a winter '13/'14 season vid.

Supertarmac,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but my feeling is that your CDI is faulty. It seems that you have eliminated most of the other possibilities. Unfortunately, BW 200 CDI's are very rare and expensive when you can find one. Sixpepper is the Bigwheel Guru. He has installed CDI's from other people's suspect BW's onto his pristine steeds to confirm if indeed you posses a faulty CDI. I have now converted to the Sixpepper religion. He is my new Pope. Maybe you should consider seeking his council as well.
Thank you Cliff. Isn't performance affected by a bad cdi? My performance is well except that is dies on idle when warm and surges at 1/8 throttle position.

Very nice pictures!
Old 12-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #1913
Cliff h

Supertarmac:

I had a bad CDI in a 350 that exhibited many of the same symptoms as you described. The CDI affects (or would that be effects) your ignition timing curve, which could be the source of your runnability issues. My 350 had the same idling and surging issues.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #1914
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,814
For some odd reason I constantly come to the BW thread looking for inspiration and entertainment. That and to click the link to MR Big Wheel's you tube channel.

When is the Report and video for the actual endurocross 2013 coming out.

Been waiting patiently for what seems like months.

Want to see the carnage.
MrPulldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #1915
BigJDirt
Hooligan

Oddometer: 8
We have two 1986 BW200's, along with 2 Fat Cats, with also a motor less Fat Cat. Hope to be doing a complete rebuild when the weather warms up. They really are fun trail bikes. They've unfortunately sat for a long time, luckily I drained the gas at the time, filled it up and cranked on second kick! Unfortunately I put in regular gas (with ethanol!) in without thinking and within maybe 4 hours of riding the fuel cut off, Hopefully I can figure it out...

Pics later!!
BigJDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #1916
5 speed
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
Oh Lord I shouldnt have come onto this thread!!! I worked at a Yamaha shop in 1985 and remember well skying one of these off the top of a big hill. Nice to have the big tires after the suspension travel was gone.

I want one, it was so much fun.
5 speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #1917
supertarmac
Adventurer

Quote:
Supertarmac:

I had a bad CDI in a 350 that exhibited many of the same symptoms as you described. The CDI affects (or would that be effects) your ignition timing curve, which could be the source of your runnability issues. My 350 had the same idling and surging issues.
Thank you Cliff for sharing your experience. I checked the cam chain tensioner and it was good. I will check the valve clearances and if the are also good I will start trying to find a new cdi.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:40 PM   #1918
supertarmac
Adventurer

Quote:
Supertarmac:

Cliff besides the idling issues and surging, how was your performance? Did you have a ticking noise sometimes? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #1919
yupper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
[QUOTE=Mr. BigWheel;22971121]Little known fact: Cliff was actually the body double for those underwear ads that Marky Mark did back in the Eighties. He makes picture-taking easy.

Yupper,

The Bruno Wessel stuff is indeed high quality. It is also rather spendy. That is what we have been using for a few years. There is a bit of a learning curve and it's not the easiest task, but it is effective.

The only other alternative that I'm aware of are the Grip studs that screw into the tire with a drill:

http://www.maxigripstore.com/motorcycle-tire-studs/

They look to be much easier to install than the Bruno Wessel studs but come at an even steeper price. Since we're fully invested in the Bruno Wessel system it doesn't seem as attractive.

If I was in your shoes, I'd be giving it serious consideration.[/QUOTE

Thanks Mr BW! Looking at the site for these, they sell by 100, 200, or 1000. Any recommendation on how many studs to plan for per tire? Thanks again!
yupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #1920
Cliff h

Supertarmac,

I don't remember a pinging pre-ignition noise. The symptoms were pretty much what I described. Difficulty idling, had to feather throttle to maintain idle, an off idle miss, surging at partial throttle. That's all that I can remember. I could have sworn that I had carb. issues, but a new CDI later and my runnability issues were much improved.

It is true what Mr. Bigwheel said. I was the "Funky Bunch" for Marky Mark. So named because my underwear were frequently funky and all bunched up. I started the whole "grunge" thing long before Nirvana made it popular.