User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2012, 08:17 AM   #286
LDL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Wink

Got the frame painted , I'm gett'n super excited about getting it all put together with all the new part's that are all arriveing . With all the stories that Matt556 is telling me about how much fun he's haveing on his BW , I'm ready to get this thing back out on the trail's again !
LDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:48 PM   #287
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Oddometer: 749
Happy Valentine's day. Yes, today was Valentine's day.

Cliff h spent the entire day BigWheeling. All while leaving the wife with his offspring to suffer completely alone.

I think that we should take this opportunity to berate him for this reprehensible behavior.

Tsk, tsk, Mr. H.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 02-15-2012, 08:20 AM   #288
Cliff h
[IMG]http://i219.pho

Oddometer: 256
How can my wife ever forgive me??? Well it seems that I may never be forgiven for getting the BW in the first place so.... I'm in the dog house again (aka, the shed where the BW is parked). I did purchase flowers for my wife, but it was not for Valentines day, but an ongoing effort in penance and groveling. Also the local bar did give me a single rose while having a beer (and they didn't even imply that I should be home with my wife, and the bartender even asked if a wanted ANOTHER beer, (the wife never even asks me if a wanted a first beer)). At least I was in good company on my ride, and adjacent to me on the bar stool.

Cliff

Cliff h screwed with this post 02-15-2012 at 09:27 PM
Cliff h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #289
Cliff h

The rear sprocket on my BW is a 47 tooth, which I thought was stock. But after examining another BW 350, I discovered that his was a 37 tooth. My fellow BW'er was able to out-distance me at a quickening pace in the race to the local watering hole. I was able to order a 37 tooth sprocket from my local Yamaha dealer (After they finished laughing at me, I was on hold for quite some time) for $40. My BW is also missing the rear plastic chain gaurd. I have been informed that one from a 200 will fit and are available from various sources (not only ebay). Does anyone on here have one that they are willing to part with before I order one? Just a shot in the dark. I realize that I am in competition with everyone else in this forum for a dwindling supply of overpriced parts.

Thanks in advance,
Cliff
Old 02-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #290
LDL
Adventurer

Anyone heard anything from Iron Bear and the other's that were doing their rebuild's ? Or how they turned out ? Am I the only one rebuilding at this time . I'm super excited about getting this thing running again !
Old 02-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #291
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Oddometer: 749
LDL,

I'm in the middle of a rebuild myself. The problem I have is that it is like having a Ford in the garage and another one on blocks in your front yard. Parts keep disappearing off of the static one to keep the runner going. It's too hard to resist.

I hope to have The Ultimate BigWheel Buildup Yet(T.U.B.B.Y.) started soon though.

Cliff,

Part Shark lists that sprocket for $25. They ship in plain, cardboard, unmarked boxes so that not even your mailman will know that you are ordering BigWheel parts. No more embarrassed staring at your shoes at the parts counter when you go pick up your order.

I like to support the local dealer as much as possible, but they always charge a premium for parts to a bike that Yamaha orphaned decades ago. Considering the giant, oversized gas-guzzling dinosaurs that you drive, having someone drop your parts off on your doorstep should be another plus.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 02-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #292
Cliff h

Dough, I just ordered a front sprocket from the local Yamaha dealer while I was at it. My front sprocket is a 11 tooth. From what I can find, the factory sprocket is a 14 tooth. Can anyone else comfirm this??? The BW 200cc chain gaurd is not available from Yamaha. I guess that I will pick one up from ebay eventually, along with those extra large footpegs that you reccomended Mr. Bigwheel. I am also going to look into a 25 inch rear tire. Can you compensate for in the front by going to a big front tire too? I also would like to know what application has a longer rear travel shock/spring that bolts in to the rear for when I get to do my tri-z front shock/disk brake.

Thanks,
Cliff
Old 02-18-2012, 05:46 AM   #293
LDL
Adventurer

Beside Ebay , I've been getting part's online from www.babbitsonline.com , the part's from babbit's are OEM . with fair prices. Just thought I'd share .
Old 02-18-2012, 06:33 AM   #294
LDL
Adventurer

Cliff H , yamahanosparts has that chain guard on ebay for $89.27 plus shipping ( has 8 ) .
Old 02-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #295
Cliff h

LDL,

Thank you. I figured that you would have to have a good supply of parts what with your build and all, I just was not sure if you would want to divulge your sources. On my Vallentines day ride, I was able to look at another BW350, and liked many of the "Modifications" made to that bike. It has given me encouragement to slightly tweak my own BW just a bit, and fix an "issues" with my own BW, such as the sprockets, and lack of a chain gaurd.
My memory card from my camera was stolen for awhile, I will post up some pics from the ride as soon as the offending party returns my card .

Cliff
Old 02-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #296
LDL
Adventurer

Cliff h , just getting into this BW thing a month or so ago , I started out with nothing except a son that purchased one last spring sometime , then he found one on craiglist here in Houston for me, and it needed to be saved from a slow and painful rusty death . So my only choice was to get on ebay and craiglist and start looking for part's there , and on a couple of other websites like babbitsonline,com .so if I had any spare part's to sell ya , I would'nt hesitate to sell'em to you on the cheap to turn around and give the money back to somebody else on ebay for something else that I know that I'm gonna need . Have you seen what they want for a nos fuel tank for a BW200 ? Well someday I 'll get one , but I've got to get this thing running first . Good luck !
Old 02-18-2012, 11:01 PM   #297
Cliff h

Oops, I meant to say that you probably had good parts SOURCES, as in places that have BW parts inventories. You are well versed in the scarcity of parts for these bikes. But I am sure that the build will be worth it in the end. Best of luck and keep us posted!

Cliff
Old 02-19-2012, 04:12 PM   #298
LDL
Adventurer

Got quite a bit done with the BW today . Got the swing arm reinstalled , had to shine up the eccentric's and axle befor instalation, motor installed also. Waiting on a cuople of seal's to show up befor jack shaft can be installed . also waiting on new chain's and master link's. Got all the new taper roller bearing's for the stearing stem , new fork seal's and lower leg's for the front end . Matt556 is going to fab up a new top motor braket , and that's about it for today's work on the project. Part's should be in soon . I'm getting closer !!!!! And more excited !!!!

LDL screwed with this post 02-19-2012 at 04:46 PM
Old 02-26-2012, 09:58 PM   #299
Cliff h

I got my sprockets installed today. Man what a difference. The gearing that my BW came with was 11/47. Mr. Bigwheel's bike had a 37 tooth rear sprocket. His rear sprocket was also dished for proper chain alignment, mine was not (might explain the chain issues I was having). With a 47 tooth rear, the sprocket was about the same diameter as the 9" rear wheel! My front sprocket also showed signs of wear so it was replaced as well. The BW is now much faster than is was before. I could only go maybe 30mph before, I am not sure how fast I can go now, but it is much faster than before. I love it!

Cliff.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #300
LDL
Adventurer

Cliff , glad you got it figured out ! I would have loved to find a suprise like that with mine , but I checked it out as per the book and I've got the right gearing in place .So befor I go and order something else , I'm gonna get this sucker up and running, What happened to Mr.BW ? Have'nt seen him post anything up . I enjoy reading and watching his post's and video's ! Do'nt recon he's in the dog house too , do ya ? Matt556 gett's back from a quik dive trip to Cozumel , this week so I'll have him to help me remember how all this stuff goes back together ! Great rides to all !!!