Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2012, 07:29 PM   #526
truckinwagen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
im pretty sure its not the carb, it has been gone through multiple times, and when it refuses to run it wont run on ether either, which would suggest it is not a fuel issue.

I am currently looking for other CDI's that may work(with a little splicing) and keeping my eyes open for a bike that screams "Swap my motor in!"

-Owen
truckinwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:42 PM   #527
Cliff h
[IMG]http://i219.pho

Oddometer: 241
Keep up the good fight Truckinwagen! Thank you for saving me from taking on this project. I nearly bought that bike, but I have enough projects as it is. I am glad to see that the bike has found a good home.
Cliff h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:15 AM   #528
truckinwagen
Adventurer

I am currently trying to see if there is a $15 solution to the CDI for the kickstart only bikes.
I will keep you all posted.

-Owen
Old 08-22-2012, 07:40 PM   #529
truckinwagen
Adventurer

so in my quest to figure out a cheap solution to the CDI problem, I opened up the flywheel side of the engine case to figure out what color wire does what(so I can wire up the new cheaper CDI)

in case anyone is wondering, on a kick-only BW200 the wiring from the strator is this:

-green plug - power to the headlight
-white plug - trigger for the CDI
-red and brown wires with individual bullet connectors - power to the CDI

on the CDI:
-orange - coil
-black and black/white - kill switch

all of these are a pair of wires, apparently the bike runs individual circuits without a common ground.
the only circuit that uses the frame for ground is the coil.

I have a new CDI/coil (all in one piece for $15) coming that uses a common ground, so I will have to ground one of the wires from each circuit to make it work.

the only question now is:
does it really matter which wire on each circuit I ground?
the bike runs on AC(except for the light which has its own regulator, and is outside of the wiring I need to mess with anyway) so should it matter which side of the windings becomes common?

-Owen
Old 08-22-2012, 09:42 PM   #530
Darryl A
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I have the same problem with my CDI on my BW 350.
I had cleaned my carb about 30 times or so thinking I was doing a bad job.
Finally I played with the CDI while trying to rev the bike and it came alive.,
So for a cheep fix for now I heated up the CDI to soffen the glue inside, and put 2 hose claps on each side of the wires compressing the glued solid unit with the help of a couple washers and it has been working great for the past year,.
When my cheep fix fails I will cut open the unit and try again before buying a new one for 300
Darryl A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #531
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Oddometer: 716
truckinwagen,

You just went totally P.H.D. on us. I know that you shouldn't put a knife into a toaster (I do it anyway). But that is the extent of my electrical knowledge.

I'm going to dump this whole issue onto Cliff. He's an amateur nuclear physicist. And he stayed at a Holiday Inn once.

Cliff? Edify us please.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 08-23-2012, 08:55 PM   #532
Cliff h

Whoa! I stuck my finger in a light socket while trying to ponder your electrical question, and the only outcome was static cling and a bad hairdo. While the BW wiring system may not be overly complicated, if you have found a $15 source for a potential CDI donor, I say do it! Hell, buy two in case you mess one of them up. The BW world awaits the outcome of your mad science with baited breath! Please let us know what the outcome is!

Cliff.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:12 PM   #533
truckinwagen
Adventurer

I talked to my dad, who is not an electrical engineer, but the two of us have enough understanding of many things to get ourselves into lot of trouble.

many motorcycles use common ground for both their AC and DC systems, and the AC systems operate at vastly different voltages (12v vs. 200v)

the AC seen is really only pulsed DC which shows up as half phase AC and since electrical power is just the difference in potential energy across a circuit it should not really matter which legs are used as common(as the coils are separated and have no connection other than what gets tied together)

so in theory(at least as far as my dad and I can figure) there should be no "correct" leg to ground to the frame and turn into the common ground.

anyone understand any of the stuff written above, 'cause I'm not too sure I really do.

and if it does not work, and I fry the new CDI it was only $15, and there is no danger of hurting the strator coils as long as they are not shorted.

-Owen
Old 08-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #534
the kawasaki kid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Mr. BigWheel: I find your videos very entertaining. I especially appreciate your narration. Thank you for taking the time to make/ post them. I have a new found respect for the big wheels.
the kawasaki kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #535
DEAVER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Are there any parts that a big wheel 350 owner should keep on hand? They are very rare around here. A family member used to manage a yamaha dealership for a very long time and he can't remember seeing one let alone selling one. Does anyone know if there is a crossover with any other models or brands even, ie common parts.

Personally i'd like a extra sprocket, and rear shock. brakes too,but not necessarily. air filter would be nice plus oil filters.
DEAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:56 PM   #536
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Oddometer: 716
I'm going to start the list off with three cases of beer. Always have plenty of booze on hand.

I know that is going to seem so much less funny in the morning, but I still felt that it needed to be said.

Perhaps in the morning I shall have an actual useful answer, but I am skeptical. You should be too.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 08-25-2012, 01:56 PM   #537
DEAVER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. BigWheel View Post
I'm going to start the list off with three cases of beer. Always have plenty of booze on hand.

I know that is going to seem so much less funny in the morning, but I still felt that it needed to be said.

Perhaps in the morning I shall have an actual useful answer, but I am skeptical. You should be too.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
i alway buy 2-fours as i'm Canadian, i could alway add a extra dozen as needed!
DEAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:42 PM   #538
Cliff h

Deaver:

There was much part sharing between other Yamaha bikes of this era. As far as what crosses over, there are others more versed in this subject than I. Figure that if your Yamaha dealer carries a particular part, it must have been interchangeable with another bike. I don't think that any particular part fails with enough regularity to warrant having specific extra parts for it (aside from maybe the CDI lol), the sprockets that you mention were available thru my local Yamaha dealer (had to order-took about a week). It is always a good idea to have extra air and oil filters and such. I just got a set of brakes (front and rear) ordered thru the dealer.

Cliff
Old 08-25-2012, 02:50 PM   #539
Cliff h

Pics from a trip to the local MX track from today. I was the only racer representing the Bigwheel team today. I took my girls for a few laps around the track as well.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:33 PM   #540
dorkpunch
Oops...

Oddometer: 4,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff h View Post
Good thing you have that extra 4" of travel on the bottom side of your rim...

Rear sprocket looks dangerously close to the ground though!

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote