Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2012, 10:06 PM   #586
truckinwagen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
well, the motor is in and bolted down, forks on, wheels on, carb installed(although I need to figure out a filter/airbox)

I need to finish up a few things(tomorrow) but the bike is almost done!

left to do are:
new, longer primary chain.
install handlebars/new controls(clutch lever, throttle, etc...)
hook up brakes
install new trimmed up wiring harness

then it is time to fire it up and take a test ride!

it still needs longer shocks for the rear end, as the fork is raked way out, and the ground clearance is low, but that will happen a little later, and wont keep me from riding it a bit.

I took some pics of the motor mounts and the way the bike sits, but need to upload them.
when I do(later tonight) I will post the awesomeness!

-Owen
truckinwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:40 PM   #587
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Oddometer: 749
That's totally awesome. When you're done with your project maybe you could help me put a turbine engine in my lawnmower? If you have a spare afternoon.

Although, with the weather we've been having, there won't be a need for the mower much longer.

How are you handling the different size sprockets between the engine and the swing arm sprocket? Are you putting 530 size on the engine or changing the one on the swing arm to a 520?

Kudos on the progress. Keep it up.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 09-01-2012, 12:42 AM   #588
truckinwagen
Adventurer

I am going to leave the sprockets alone, the 530 chain will fit on the 520 sprocket that is on the motor(its just a little wider) and will run fine.
I have run similar chain/sprocket setups before and had no issues with a wider chain than the sprocket was made for.

thanks for the kudos, I try to do my best, it does not always work out perfect the first time, but where is the fun in having everything work all the time?

as for the turbine, not sure I can help you there, but if you wanted to turbocharge it, I do have experience installing them on motors never designed for them.

-Owen
Old 09-01-2012, 09:58 AM   #589
truckinwagen
Adventurer

as promised, here are the pics!

its not as pretty as it could be, but bear in mind this was all done without a welder, on a porch, with hand tools.

this is how it sits:

this is how I think it should sit:

and this is how much longer the shocks need to be to accomplish that:

all in all not too bad, in my opinion.

and it looks like my hopes of getting it done today went out the window with this rain.

maybe I can find some time next time it is sunny.

-Owen
Old 09-01-2012, 10:02 AM   #590
dorkpunch
Oops...

Oddometer: 5,144
Impressive. I have a garage, a welder, and lotsa tools and it still would have taken me months to finish something like that...

That said, I think you will probably want to weld the rear engine mount sooner rather than later, and also make some bushings where the swing arm bolt goes through even if it's just a whole ton of washers stacked on the bolt. Can't wait for the ride report!

Did you ever tear the old engine down to see if the cdi/coil was the cause of it melting?

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #591
truckinwagen
Adventurer

no, I have not torn the old engine down yet, it is on the list though.

as for the spacers, yes that is happening, I just had to get the frame bolted up to measure to make them.

as for welding the rear mount, I will lay a bead on it as soon as I have access to a working welder, for now it will have to do.

-Owen
Old 09-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #592
Shercoman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Truckin,
I greatly admire your ingenuity and skills so please take the following as constructive "advice."

As a tool maker,engineer and fabricator with many projects under my belt I'd like to offer some suggestions.

The BW frame uses the engine as a stressed member. Since there is no lower engine cradle,the engine itself has to provide the strength to hold the frame together and stabilize it.
Your engine will be strong enough but the mounts you have made will not.

The front mounts may be good enough but would be considerably stronger if you weld the plates to the frame.
The back mounts need some more work.
If you land this from a jump,the frame will try to "open the horseshoe" that is the engine cradle.The front mount will try to pull the back of the engine away from the swing arm pivot.
The lower mount using the u bolts will do little to prevent this. They will break or deform as the angle iron is already doing from the bolts being tightened.
The upper mount is two "L" shaped pieces of iron bolted together. If you make spacers to fill the gaps between the brackets and swing arm you will have good side to side strength but virtually no strength when the motor tries to move away from the swing arm bolt.Simply welding the two pieces of angle together will not give you the strength you need. The forces will try to straighten them out. You need the top plate to hold the bracket in the shape it is now.

Laying a shaped plate on the top and bottom of these two "L" brackets,that covers them from one side of the engine mount to the other side and extends backward out over the swing arm bolt,and then welding all together will greatly strengthen this area.Do top and bottom if you can.

My concerns are this,if you ride this very hard at all, this frame will be a "flexible flyer" and quickly break.The results could hurt you.

Please go back and look at the conversion I did with the two stroke.I fabricated new lower frame rails to tie everything together and then used a thick aluminum skid plate on the bottom as a stressed member also.

Please take this from a fellow BW'er that would rather not see you get hurt and continue to develop your obviously creative fabrication skills.
I'll be glad to help you in any way I can. If welding is an issue, you can send me anything and I'll weld and send back.

Shercoman screwed with this post 09-03-2012 at 05:38 PM
Shercoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #593
truckinwagen
Adventurer

yep, all those things are on my mind.

the current mount setup is just a mock up to make sure all the holes are lined up.

the only reason things were not welded is that the welder I had up here broke, I do have one that I will be bringing up to finish the project with.

that said, this is going to have to hit the back burner for a while.
between school and work I dont have much time, and what I do have is spent on homework/housework.

and on top of that, I have to fix our fence and cut up some trees that the storm broke the other night.

-Owen
Old 09-10-2012, 10:58 AM   #594
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

We've had biblical-style rain and windstorms that have wreaked havoc across southcentral Alaska. Owen's 200 project may have gotten washed or blown off his deck. Haven't been riding in weeks.

Saturday was different. Cliffosaurus and I scheduled some perfect weather for a ride up the B-29 Trail.

Here's Cliff fording a rain swollen stream:

(Note the brake lever being used on the clutch perch and the absence of a brake lever. A small concession to the original design: the levers can be swapped and the ride continued in the event of a tipover)
Old 09-10-2012, 12:27 PM   #595
DEAVER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
sweet pic
DEAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:46 PM   #596
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,874
Had this 86 BW200 follow me home

Purchased from original owner who has had it since age 12.

Front and rear plastics are kaput. Is DC plastics the only place for replacements?

PO had drained carb and tank before storage. Cleaned tank, carb and it started on the second kick

When to start it again and broke the kick start output shaft

Has anyone put a warrior engine in a BW? 350cc 6 speed
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #597
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Nice find sanjoh!

I haven't heard of too many engine transplants in the 200s. The Warrior engine would make your bike into a slightly higher performance BW350 with an extra gear.

I'd like to know if the Warrior transmission could be swapped into a BW350 bottom end, as that extra gear would come in handy sometimes.

The angle between the cylinder and case halves is different between the Warrior and BW engines and that might complicate the installation. However, the mounts seem to be very accommodating for a number of builders.

As far as I know, DC Plastics and occaissionally ebay, are the only sources of plastics. At least you have you side panels and that puts you miles ahead in the game.

Here's another shot of Cliffas Pastrana charging hard above the tree line in the Talkeetnas:

Old 09-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #598
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,874
That is an awesome pic, regardless of the bike!

Kinda had trust that he wouldn't land on you

Thanks for the info.

Look forward to getting the BW motovating.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:12 PM   #599
Shercoman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
You Alaska guys post the coolest pics!!!!
Shercoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #600
kozaz
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Silly question?
Are there any pros/cons to the BW350 vs BW200?
I keep thinking a BW200 would be easier to throw around but I never been on either. Besides price and availability, is there anything else?
kozaz is offline   Reply With Quote