Saw this on Cl
jaubuchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:03 PM   #812
dorkpunch
Oops...

Oddometer: 5,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBWheel View Post
I am thinking Digital printing may be a good option for making the plastic bushings in small quanitity.
Does any in the group use it at work?? You can 'build' any plastic part from a 3-d digital file and use various plastic's.
It is simply additive instead of subtractive machining.(amazing technology) You can now get a plotter for home use under a grand and let it make parts while you sleep...(or ride)..I have a parts bike and could dissasemble/send the bushings to a vendor to have them scan it (most machines can scan the part on the bed and then replicate it ) and quote pricing based on quantities wanted. What was the going rate from Yamaha before they were discontinued??
How many people would need them? I have 1985 models and I assume 85 to 87 all have same bushings in the 200's??
Fshflthnkng...

Am in the process of buying kit parts to assemble a Mendelmax... But I'm doing it for my school and I don't have enough left in my budget to get everything this year... If you don't mind waiting until after the start of the next school year though...

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #813
BWSwamper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
BW200 Front Tire Help

I am getting very close to needing a new front tire on my BW200. I am looking for something as similar to the original as possible and am not having much luck. So far, the Kenda K532 Klaw XCF is the best I have found. Any suggestions?
BWSwamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:41 AM   #814
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Oddometer: 749
BWSwamper,

The Kenda looks like a decent tire with the exception of the outside row of knobs being shorter than the rest. Realistically, the only time I use that part of the tire is when the bike is laying on its's side though. The original Dunlop was a great tire for the BW but I wouldn't worry about matching the original pattern. There are even a few guys who are using a chevron pattern on the front who report good results. I think what is most important is the profile of the tire. My worst tires have been too pointy in the center which resulted in a twitchy, wandering ride with plenty of washouts.

jaubuchon,

I'll wait patiently for your pictures. But only because you are related to someone who personally knows Mr. Bushingmanufacturer. I can send some BW350 bushings for reproduction.

The additive machining sounds awesome but I'm not allowed to use the coffee maker at week without supervision, so it's probably unrealistic to think that I will ever be involved in the process.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 01-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #815
hillbilly enduro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBWheel View Post
I am thinking Digital printing may be a good option for making the plastic bushings in small quanitity.
Does any in the group use it at work?? You can 'build' any plastic part from a 3-d digital file and use various plastic's.
It is simply additive instead of subtractive machining.(amazing technology) You can now get a plotter for home use under a grand and let it make parts while you sleep...(or ride)..I have a parts bike and could dissasemble/send the bushings to a vendor to have them scan it (most machines can scan the part on the bed and then replicate it ) and quote pricing based on quantities wanted. What was the going rate from Yamaha before they were discontinued??
How many people would need them? I have 1985 models and I assume 85 to 87 all have same bushings in the 200's??
Fshflthnkng...
Sorry, but 3D printing won't work. It's only meant for evaluating design/function. It has very low strength. This is at least true for the 3D prints we are getting made at work.
Someone might make some higher strength prints... If so it should be fairly cheap, if you guys make a group buy, as the startup fee is the largest part of the bill with such small pieces.

But as I said, if it's just a sleeve with a collar in one end, anyone with a lathe can make them.

But we still need to se some pictures. The parts fiche only give a rough idea of what we're talking about.
hillbilly enduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #816
Shercoman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
I can make these on a lathe one by one or I have a source with a CNC lathe that could make a quantity cheaper than I can.
Just need dimensions or a good pair to measure.
Shercoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:13 AM   #817
BWSwamper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
More on Carlisle Trail Wolf Tires - Front and Rear

Mr. BigWheel,

A while back you commented on the Carlisle Trail Wolf for a rear replacement for the BW200. The 25x8-12 size has a profile similar to the smaller on in the photo you posted. Does this look like a good front tire replacement option for the "fire road" application? The side profile looks to be adequately rounded.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. BigWheel View Post
WSdog,

Welcome to the thread.

I can't find a picture specifically of the 25-12/9 Trail Wolf. I can only find generic ones like this:

If that is representative of the profile of the rear, then I think the tire would suit your needs just fine.

The only tires that I've ever had any problems with are the sport-quad tires that have a square profile. They lose traction unexpectedly when leaned over beyond a certain point. Otherwise, even those tires seem to work fine on these odd-handling bikes, as long as you are within their limits.

I like to unload my poor-handling square profile tires on Cliff. It has helped him become a master of the High Drama Crash and has provided me with much entertainment. I just wish that he would be more accommodating and execute his HDCs in front of the camera.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel

BWSwamper screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 09:07 PM
BWSwamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #818
dorkpunch
Oops...

Oddometer: 5,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly enduro View Post
Sorry, but 3D printing won't work. It's only meant for evaluating design/function. It has very low strength. This is at least true for the 3D prints we are getting made at work.
Someone might make some higher strength prints... If so it should be fairly cheap, if you guys make a group buy, as the startup fee is the largest part of the bill with such small pieces.

But as I said, if it's just a sleeve with a collar in one end, anyone with a lathe can make them.

But we still need to se some pictures. The parts fiche only give a rough idea of what we're talking about.
Curious what kind of printer your using at work? My understanding of the more "common" printers nowadays use ABS plastic, and its fairly durable. Heck, the printers print THEMSELVES... gotta be fairly strong? I also have seen printed HOCKEY PUCKS so I'm guessing it might work for bushings... I'd be willing to print a set if (when) I ever get a printer for my class.

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #819
jaubuchon
Cheapest Boy Alive

Oddometer: 36
The BigMower

Old 01-09-2013, 06:53 PM   #820
jaubuchon
Cheapest Boy Alive

The BigMower 2

Old 01-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #821
jaubuchon
Cheapest Boy Alive

The BigMower 3

Got her all stripped down, got the wiring harness done, body panels in paint, setting up motor mounts now. She's apart at the moment
Old 01-09-2013, 11:00 PM   #822
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Am I the only one who can't see the pictures that have been posted lately? Or is jaubuchon just teasing me?

I'm dying to see the pictures of the BigMower but I don't know if the name is going to fly with the Marketing Department.

How many BMs will Home Depot order with a name like that? How can you keep your self respect while riding a BeeEm? At least it will keep you regular.

On the subject of the swing arm bushings:

I was hoping to find another project so I could ignore this one for a little while. I'll go see if I can extract some bushings intact and get them sent off to Shercoman so that several thousand examples can be produced.

Wish me luck.

BWSwamper,

The only worry that I would have concerning the Trail Wolf front tire is that the knobs on the shoulders seem largely ornamental. The Carlisle tire that I am very interested in for a front is the AT489 X/L:

We are running this tire already, but the X/L has a 3/4" tread depth and it weighs less than 16 pounds. I am going to pull the trigger on a set of those as soon as I can find someone who doesn't charge $100 for shipping a single tire to Alaska.

I'll report the findings as soon as possible.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 01-09-2013, 11:38 PM   #823
jaubuchon
Cheapest Boy Alive

Reupload

http://s1302.beta.photobucket.com/us...3dc60.jpg.html
Old 01-09-2013, 11:39 PM   #824
jaubuchon
Cheapest Boy Alive

Reupload

http://s1302.beta.photobucket.com/us...f3063.jpg.html
Old 01-10-2013, 12:48 AM   #825
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttt!!!!!!!!! I love it!!!

Where is that exhaust going to go?

I did something useful. Of course I knocked out a damaged one so a usable example wouldn't be made unusable by my inelegant techniques. Will this be good for measurements Shercoman? I can remove one that is undamaged if that would help.

Maybe this will make up for snapping off a bolt in one of the rocker arm shafts while trying to extract it with a redneck puller last night .

Regards,

Mr BigWheel