Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 11:35 PM   #841
RWBWheel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
BWSwamper, I too would like a disc on my 200 from a Tri-Z..been watching craigs and it's slim pickin's for 1986 in my parts.. anybody know of potential sources for tri-z parts??
I have seen a few 85 whole bikes for 500 or so..

Mr.BigWheel,
What is a 'fair' price thesedays for a 86 or newer front end ?? in the lower 48 : )..??
I like the 12 inch wide tires on the BW's as it is part of their appeal, I look at it and just smile at it's outrageousness sometimes..I have a plated one and the looks/comments I get when running to the store are priceless...
At times it would be fun to find a performance advantage that the factory never got to..it would look a little 'Ronkony' though with 2 -12" wheels x 9"....just have to think it would track though corners better..
I would like to make a BW350 and turn the head around like i have thought of for years would be the best trail bike so the air comes in the fromt from a snorkel at the front of tank with filter in front of gas cap for deep water, and the exaust going straight out the back of the motor to center rear fender, no heat for the legs..Etc..
I need to win the lottery so I can dream and play in a shop all day...
RWBWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #842
Röhrich
big wheel freak

Oddometer: 136
Hi,

Just a question:
Is it possible to build a BW80 from a PW80,
by switching front fork and rear swingarm and wheels?
There are no BW80s in europe and I would like to have one.

Regards,

Röhrich
Röhrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #843
jaubuchon
Cheapest Boy Alive

Oddometer: 36
More BigMower News

http://s1302.beta.photobucket.com/us...uchon/library/

Got all body panels meticulously sanded
jaubuchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #844
Soggydog
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Help with pictures

Hi Big Wheelers,

I would like to share some photos, but how? I have them in photobucket and I tried to paste the img link, but no luck. Should I see the pictures in the post preview?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jim
Soggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #845
BigE_50
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. BigWheel View Post
While the following has no relevance at all to BWs, it is a world premiere. The latest Enduro Alaska:

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Mr BigWheel,

Thank you for another fabulously entertaining video. I enjoyed many a chuckle, a few chortles, several oh’s, and more than one wince. And I replayed the dramatic (and not so dramatic) falls many times over.

In honor of “ENDUROCROSS at Everett, WA by Enduro Alaska”, I offer this for the Enduro Alaska connoisseur:

This is a multiple-choice, open-book test. You may utilize all BigWheel Productions videos, any and all Mr. BigWheel online posts, and, of course, personal communication with Mr. BigWheel. He is listed in the phone book under B. Wheel; please don’t call after 9 PM.

Your score on this test comprises 100% of your grade in ENDU 1100: Basic Principles of Endurocross

1. Enduro Alaska’s groupies consist of:

a. Patient wives, quietly calculating the total cost of the expedition so they know how much they can tip cabana boys during their girls-only trip to the Caribbean.
b. Over-stimulated children, almost as excited as when they saw Yo Gabba Gabba! on ice.
c. All of the UAA cheerleaders, from 1977
d. The English Nightmare, who feigned injury to avoid embarrassment.
e. Only a and b

2. The Endurocross rock pile was more challenging in Everett than Denver because:

a. They couldn’t find big enough rocks in the Rocky Mountains.
b. One difficult rock pile = two easy rock piles in the minds of the track designers
c. Washington lies on an active subduction zone, while Colorado is part of the old, Cretaceous Laramide orogeny.

3. Taddy did not take on Enduro Alaska because:

a. He’d heard about their BW’s and was afraid the cooties might rub off
b. Mr BigWheel towered over him with a menacing glare, making him feel like a 4-year old caught riding his tricycle in the house
c. Taddy had already had enough of them huddling under his tent
d. The confluence of even two of them on the track at the same time could have triggered a massive earthquake (on the active subduction zone)
e. He knew H6llyw76d’s KTM was cooler.
f. He was mad because the Monster Girls kept winking at Mr BigWheel
g. He was mad because H6llyw76d kept winking at the Monster Girls
h. 111 + 676 = 787
i. All of the above

4. After the event Mr. BigWheel and H6llyw76d celebrated with:

a. The UAA cheerleaders
b. 20 year old single malt and cigars
c. A night at Seattle’s hottest BDSM club: Sin-ematic
d. A hot shower
e. 4 tubes of Bengay
f. reruns of Ghost Hunter
g. a, b, and c
h. d, e, and f
BigE_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:38 PM   #846
Soggydog
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Hey everyone,
Another new guy here. I would like to introduce myself and share some of my BigWheel info with you.
I am Jim from Minnesota and I recently got my second BW200. This one is a 1987, that is in great original condition, even the tires are original. I bought my first one in 87 from a local dealer for $800. It was a slightly used 1985 BW200. I rode that bike for 10 wonderful years. I must have put several hundred hours on it, without any repairs except for the maintenance items. I sold that bike $850, which I have always regretted.
The best thing I ever did to that bike was put on a 24x9 rear tire. I think that was in 1991, when we live in the Black Hills of SD. The Blacks Hills has very hard ground and very little sand or mud. Since I didn’t need the floatation of the stock width tire and wanted improved handling I went with a 9” wide rear tire. The handling was greatly improved and I didn’t notice any loss in traction. I don’t remember what size rim I went with (probably a 10X7), but it came from Dennis Kirk and all I had to do was drill out the center hole of the rim and maybe new mounting holes. It came with zero off-set.
That brings us to my new bike. The original rear tire still has good tread on it but has a lot of age related cracks in the rubber. So, like a lot of you, I started looking for a new rear tire and found very little to choose from for a 9 inch diameter wheel. I then decide to get a 10 inch wheel. Of course, there is nothing that fits as is. What I found was a new 10x9 aluminum wheel (3x6 offset) on Ebay for $30 with free shipping. I figured for $30 I would try to change the offset and if it didn’t work, it would be no big loss.
I am lucky to work at a manufacturing place that has a very nice machine shop. What I first did was have a new center mounting plate made and then welded to the wheel in the center. After that, I had the old center cut out. Below are the pictures. It looks like it will work fine. I plan to go with another 24” tire either 10 or 11” wide. It gives a little more speed without much loss of low end power, but still plenty of clearance. Once I try it out, I will report back.
Jim in Minnesota
PS- I love the Mister Big Wheel videos, they’re grrreat!

Soggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:44 PM   #847
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Oddometer: 730
Cliff has been pouring beer down my throat all weekend and forcing me to tell fascinating stories. Then he made me to go riding. I'm going to need to rest for a few moments while you gaze at Cliff's Awesomeness below.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:48 PM   #848
dorkpunch
Oops...

Oddometer: 5,028
Sweet! A self-washing motorcycle! As I understand it, Anchorage is currently FORTY SEVEN DEGREES WARMER than SE Idaho right now...

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:39 PM   #849
BWSwamper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
10 inch rims?

No doubt a silly question, but did anyone ever try to put together some sort of "group buy" for some 10 inch rims set up for the BW rear? It seems like there ought to be a good number of BW owners who would jump in.

Soggy Dog, if your project works out would you be up for a short "production run"?
BWSwamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:43 PM   #850
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

This is buried back in this thread pages and pages and pages ago:

That is a 10" ITP wheel with zero offset from the factory. It had to be modified by Shercoman to accept the 125mm stud spacing and be able to pass the sprocket carrier through the center. This is the wheel mated to the axle:

I apparently think really slowly because I've only now decided what tire will be mounted on the wheel.

Now I have to beg for the money, order the tire and deal with the guilt of raiding the kids' college fund again.

Soon, though. Soon, the wheel will preform it's function.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 01-13-2013, 10:47 PM   #851
Cliff h
[IMG]http://i219.pho

Oddometer: 248
Well, after suggesting that many other people's BW runnability issues may be CDI related, and not carb. related, I had a dose of reality this weekend. I was sure that my #2 350 was having carb. related runnability issues. I had soaked the carb. in pine sol for a couple of days and then cleaned out the passageways as best I could, but the bike still would not run very well. I was considering buying a China made carb figuring that it would be easier to pay something like $30 vs $300 for a CDI. Mr. Bigwheel and I swapped CDI's from bike to bike, and his bike would not run at all, and my bike ran very well. Although the Stock carb. is no powerhouse, it seems to be more durable than the more expensive CDI replacement. With the bike now running reasonably well, it is time to fix it up a bit. I plan on gathering a small fortune in parts this week.

Cliff.
Cliff h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #852
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

As everyone can see in the picture above, Cliff made reparations for offering fallacious carburator advice by flat tracking his 350 through icy puddles on a frozen lake. We would have to use the Kelvin scale to calculate the wind chill factor he experienced. From now on, if someone says they have a slow leak in their front tire, Cliff will suggest they replace the CDI.

Röhrich,

You can convert a PW into a BW but the parts list is more extensive than it seems initially.

1) Forks, triple clamps, axle, brakes, wheels and tire

2) Swing arm, axle, wheels, brakes, tire

3) Front fender, rear fender, fuel tank (PW fuel tank might be usable)

4) Exhaust muffler (PW will not work on the BW because of the wide tire and different mounting points)

5) The counter shaft on the BW is longer to allow the chain to clear the rear tire, so the cases would have to be split and the shaft installed

It is definitely a possible project but it would almost necessitate buying a BW to have enough parts to do the job.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 01-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #853
RWBWheel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
C.D.I. Possible replacement?
After looking a bit on the Australia Yamaha site I ran into the AG200 Yammie that was sold in latin America and Aust/N.Z. for the last 20 years but never in the U.S.
There is a good u-tube of one going through a mudhole I dont think my B.W. could go through...
Pretty neet /tough little bike, they say it is a 'detuned' tw200 motor-that made me wonder if the C.D.I. might swap out for a B.W. motor?
Parts are still very avaliable for these bikes compared to the B.W's...
I think they would have sold well here for farm/ranch and trail use..I like the enclosed chain on them..
looks like Honduras/Guatamala are the closest dealers to the U.S......
Just a crazy thought..
RWBWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:50 PM   #854
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Big E_50,

I've taken the quiz multiple time and have failed miserably. I'm afraid to make any more attempts as it has all of the elements of a minefield. Just like the time my wife gave me three chances to guess her birthday. I know that I shouldn't have guessed April 1st for the first try, but it just seemed so logical to me..

Thanks for letting me know that I'll be heading to a Caribbean island this year. It gets old paying off bargains made with the devil on the Pacific islands.

And I guess we'll be getting reservations at Sin-ematic for this October. Is that anything like an Applebee's?

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 01-15-2013, 09:13 PM   #855
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

RWBWheel,

This is a pic of an ebay CDI for the BW200:

This is the only picture I could find of the AG200 cdi:

There is a family resemblance, but it would not be a plug and play type of swap. It sounds like a contender but will require some reworking.

The other downside is that these CDIs have been experiencing the same kind of failures that we have been going through with the BWs. However, there are a lot more younger AG200s running around right now than there are BW200s.

Maybe we should get Big_E 50 to look into this CDI issue. She's the only one on this thread with the maturity to type "orogeny" without giggling like a 13 year-old.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel

Mr. BigWheel screwed with this post 01-15-2013 at 09:19 PM
Mr. BigWheel is online now   Reply With Quote