Originally Posted by jaubuchon View Post
Freakin Sweet Brat Bro
you got two nice rare vehicals there!
kubiak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:43 PM   #872
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Oddometer: 730
The only things that are missing on the Brat are the rear seats. But they've probably been outlawed in most places.

BWSwamper,

I think that is right on the money. The 12" opens up a tremendous selection of tires. The sprocket carrier measures right at 3 and 7/8 inches, so a 4" opening would work. The original wheel is a 9x9, so there would be an extra 1/2 inch on both sides. The swing arm will easily accommodate that.

The big issue for most owners will be the price. A Douglas 10x10 with 5+5 offset already exists and could more easily be modified to fit our needs. I think that the 12x10 would be a new project for them and the costs would rise correspondingly. Perhaps they could give you a price for both iterations.

epix1718,

What does the kick starter do? (if it is still there) Is it just flopping around or it doesn't return to position?

This is the parts breakdown but it would help to know the symptoms:

http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oem...788abb/starter

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 01-23-2013, 06:41 AM   #873
BWSwamper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Rims on the brain...

Dang, I had it in my mind that the factory rear wheel was 9 diameter by 10 width. I haven't had a wheel off the bike since I got it, so never put a tape on it.

So, I guess I had better ask, what are the tire widths which are appropriate for the 10 inch rim width? I've seen recommendations that the tire be 2 to 4 inches wider than the rim. How strict is that requirement in practice?

I am interested in this group buy approach to rims, but I'm not sure I am qualified to head it up. DWT's 24 unit minimum doesn't seem that difficult to meet given the amount of discussion of the issue gets on this and other forums.

Maybe we ought to do a rough count of demand on this board. I'd be in for two or three, without a second thought. When I called DWT before I got the info from this forum, they seemed to be indicating a FOB price of less than $120 per unit for a custom sized wheel. That seems fair to me for a bolt on ready aluminum wheel.

BWSwamper screwed with this post 01-24-2013 at 08:07 AM
BWSwamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:23 PM   #874
DEAVER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWSwamper View Post
Maybe we ought to do a rough count of demand on this board. .
i'd have to see a price on shipping as i live in newfoundland, canada.
DEAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #875
epix1718
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. BigWheel View Post
The only things that are missing on the Brat are the rear seats. But they've probably been outlawed in most places.

epix1718,

What does the kick starter do? (if it is still there) Is it just flopping around or it doesn't return to position?

This is the parts breakdown but it would help to know the symptoms:

http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oem...788abb/starter

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Thanks for the link, I found out I am missing part #8 in that diagram (kick gear) so ordered one along with the circlip and some washers.

I do still have the jump seats for the Brat, just removed for the winter, bike wouldn't fit in with the seats in also I bet :(
85 Yamaha BIG Wheel 200 & 88 BIG Wheel 350
Travel Blog: http://peteandluna.wordpress.com/
epix1718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #876
BWSwamper
Gnarly Adventurer

12x8 Rim on Rear?

Would a 12x8 rim work on the rear? I found an existing DWT wheel in 12x8 4+4 4/110, which looks like a candiate for drilling a new set of 4/125 holes.

That rim should still take a 12 wide tire, but how would handling be expected to change relative to the stock tire with the taller (more flexible) sidewall?

BWSwamper screwed with this post 01-24-2013 at 07:03 PM
Old 01-24-2013, 07:25 PM   #877
RWBWheel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Rear Rims

BWSwamper..
I would be in for 1 at least..what grade DWT are they quoting?? The .190 model or ??
looks like they have 4 grades of spun Alum. wheels..at least..
Anybody post in the Yahoo group for those that might not look in here often??
Anyone know if you can go 3" wider than an ATV rim??
(I have a spare front 12" rim and I can easily make an adapter plate to bolt to existing holes and reduce down to desired 4/125x4" add a matching shim plate ..I want to still try running a 9" back just to see if it handles better on twisty trails or you can get nice dune tires in that size also...)

MR.Bigwheel,
Do I remember you saying your running a 26 or 27 inch front tire x 9" ?? do you like??

To ALL;
Has anyone been to or have ridden in the Desert 100 in Eastern Wa.??
or the poker run day before?
The whole weekend looks like good fun, anyone interested in going in April and doing the 50 mile desert/family poker run with several hundred others so we can represent the forgotten Bigwheel ??
OR do the 80 mile ironman??
( I could never handle the main race from the vids I see..but would like to watch..)
I can meet you with my 200..
-FSHFLTHNKNG
Seattle weather has me thinking of riding on the beach in 90 degrees again !!
http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/...pse5264988.jpg
To be throwin' sand in T-shirt weather...
http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0323404a.jpg
RWBWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:21 AM   #878
sticker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I'm interested in the rear wheel group buy.
sticker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:14 AM   #879
Cliff h
[IMG]http://i219.pho

Oddometer: 248
I am also interested in group buy. I have not really looked at 12" tires, even though there are lots choices, what are the top pics that have the right profile and what sizes 23", 24"? 11" or 12" wide?
Cliff h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #880
sixpepper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
BW rear rims

Odd this comes up here as I have also been working on rims choices...I purchased a 8x8 rim from Douglas as it was the only thing they seem to have that is centered...so they told me..I was going to drill out the 4/125 into it but the hub hole is too small to allow the hub to go thru..so I tried on my drill press with an expensive hole saw...no luck yet..when I get it out to 4"s
I can drill the 4/125 ...but it will be close so not sure if it will work..I was doing this just to get some shiny rims on a couple of the bw's...
Douglas made wheels that would fit for several years...I still have one of them..4/125 yeap...chrome and shiny..and aluminum...
...I have ran 25" tires on the rear but prefer the 23" ...I know I don't want to go to a 26 or 27..
Anybody know of any wheels that are already "centered" as we could drill out the 4/125
sixpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:00 PM   #881
sixpepper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soggydog View Post
Hey again,

I used a 4 1/16" hole for the center of the rim. But I recall using a 4" hole saw once before.

I wish I could produce a small run of rims for the BW, but I don't think that is possible. I don't work in the machine shop, so when I get stuff made at work I need to jump though a few hoops and buy the guys donuts or something. It is a union shop and I am not in it, but I can get some things done a couple times a year.

But, I could probably get some more centers cut out. They use a water jet and it only takes a few minute to cut the aluminum.

As long as we are talking about wheels, does anyone know if a 10" wide tire would fit on a 9" wide rim?

Soggydog
it would the bw's came with a 11"...first ones came with a 12"er
hope this is the correct way to reply here...
sixpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:59 PM   #882
LDL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Welcome Six Pepper !
LDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:48 PM   #883
BWSwamper
Gnarly Adventurer

Zero Offset Rims from DWT

Here is a link to the 12x8 4+4 rims from DWT I referenced earlier. The dealer said they could order 12x10 5+5 in the same wheel. These are Rhino pattern 4/110. It was unclear whether these were "blue" or "red" label DWT wheels.

http://www.sidebysidesports.com/do112rirhra.html

DWT also has a 10x10 5+5 with the "wrong" bolt hole pattern. They have told two of us that they could do a run with the 4/125 pattern if the order was for 24 units. The price was around $105 each (before shipping). The rep I spoke with mentioned that they had made them in the past as Six Pepper mentioned.

My question has to do with the rim width. If the guidelines are for the tire to be 2 to 4 inches wider than the rim, then it seems to me that an 8 inch wide rim would be better since it could handle everything up to a 12 wide tire, and still be "right" for an 11 or even a 10 wide tire.

Sure would be nice to just convince DWT to do a run. I can call them back on Monday and get more details, unless someone with more technical knowledge would like to make the contact.

Cliff, the Carlisle 489 comes in the 24x11-12 and 23x10-12. I think several people are running Carlisle 489s as BW fronts in 25x8-12.

http://www.carlisletirestore.com/489.htm

BWSwamper screwed with this post 01-25-2013 at 07:59 PM
Old 01-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #884
jaubuchon
Cheapest Boy Alive

Oddometer: 36
Bm200

Got the motor mounted, carb assembled, wiring loom is done now to aesthetics
http://s1302.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0
http://s1302.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=1
jaubuchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:33 AM   #885
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Oddometer: 730
I would like to take the opportunity to point out that Sixpepper is the real Monsieur BigWheel. He has been running the BigWheel forum on Yahoo since the comet impacted Earth and made the three wheelers extinct. Thank you for joining us.

Join the Yahoo group here:

style="border: 0px;"
alt="Click to join YAMAHABIGWHEELS"/>

Click to join YAMAHABIGWHEELS

BWSwamper,

I have a 24x11-10 tire that is enroute to me right now that will be mounted on the Shercoman-modded wheel. I will post the results as soon as possible. The ten inch wheel may be the cure, given the realistic budget options that most face.

Regards,

Mr. Faux BigWheel