Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #1126
Shercoman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. BigWheel View Post
Shercoman,

How about a late model yz250 (two stroke, of course) and a frame? Those pesky things have radiators and water pumps. I imagine you would need a set of rads, hoses, thermostat, etc. What else is included in the etc.?

I would like to add: I have also had issues with the frame retaining water around the foot pegs. It is of course more prevalent to have trouble with the left side of the bike because the kickstand is on the left side and the water collects in the lower tubes. My biggest issue has been getting the bolts out of the left foot peg bracket because the they have been corroding in place for decades.

Drilling a couple holes hole in the frame is a good idea unless you ride through as much mud as we have the grave misfortune to traverse through. The holes will fill up with mud and the water will be trapped again in the fashion that the Japanese engineers obviously intended. Planned obsolescence, as Shercoman has already mentioned.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
A YZ250 two stroke would be good.Big power in a small motor would fit easily.Three issues to consider:
1. The two stroke exhaust pipe is more of a problem.Size and shape is important for the motor to run right. One of the pipes that curls around the front of the motor would be better but there is not a lot of room between the front tire and the front of the motor on a BW.My front fender hits the pipe a little on my 400 conversion and that pipe is small and compact.
2. Gas mileage with a two stroke is always an issue.
3. Radiators take up space but I see that as a minor isue.

More power is fun though.I have drag raced 450R race quads and 250R two stroke quads and I can easily hold my own.Getting the tire to hook up is the problem.And then slowing it down.....

Shercoman screwed with this post 04-17-2013 at 08:22 AM
Shercoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #1127
vroom_vroom
screaming chicken

Oddometer: 63
New lessons learned every day. Big front tire+ bouncing on boulder = you get to lay down.

Headed up the burrow wash trail lots of elevation change and basket ball sized rocks are the normal. Bumped the rear shock pre load up one for my big ass and she did well. Lotta time hanging out in 3rd gear rock crawling.

And managed not to be eaten by mountain lions.........

'86 Bw 200
vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:04 PM   #1128
Sir Lef
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Mr Big,
You may find using a threaded plug in the bottom frame trouble spot an idea worth looking into.
Just add a another item to the de-trail checklist to unscrew water plug.

Break, Break Shercoman,

Did you ever tamper with a 12inch offset ATV rim spacer or adapter?
I had planned on making one until the machinists informed me of bulk sales only.

By the way all i am another new member.
I have two 200's and love trail riding the mtns behind my house. My last ride was three days ago and yes i am a bigwheelholic.
Sir Lef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #1129
Shercoman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Lef View Post

Break, Break Shercoman,

Did you ever tamper with a 12inch offset ATV rim spacer or adapter?
I had planned on making one until the machinists informed me of bulk sales only.

By the way all i am another new member.
I have two 200's and love trail riding the mtns behind my house. My last ride was three days ago and yes i am a bigwheelholic.
No,I never did.
Mr. BW found centered 10 inch rims and BWSwamper found centered 12 inch rims so we have been modifying those.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:01 PM   #1130
Shercoman
Gnarly Adventurer

Signing off until 4/30 gang.
Have fun!
Old 04-17-2013, 09:43 PM   #1131
RWBWheel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Help

Ok, it took this o'l dog awhile to figure how to post pictures and I finally got that part....
Now can someone give me an idiots guide to posting a u-tube video on here so it shows the start of the video?

Shercoman, hope your going riding on vacation for 10 days testing out that big rear rim ...

RWBWheel screwed with this post 04-17-2013 at 09:54 PM
RWBWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:24 AM   #1132
dvgonzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Mr. BW AND BW Swamper,

You are correct about how bad the footpeg bolts "freeze" in due to the rust...ESPECIALLY the lower ones.

On my old '84 TT600 which had that same stupidly designed (Planned obsolescence is correct!) frame/water catch, I did find a way to get the peg bolts out. I simply washed the bike real good spraying water into that frame slot and then heated it up with a propane torch to boil and steam it all out.
I remeber it boiling out a rusty red!

I then inserted an oil can straw connected to a good chain oil and sprayed it pretty much full. I think it probably took about a quarter of a can near as I remember!

I let it set for a week and then put heat to the heads of the bolts several times letting them cool completely in between heat cycles. This allowed me to break em loose fairly easily.

Removed them and drilled a couple small holes on each side of that lower round crosstube. They would get plugged with mud as you mentioned but even then water would drip out real slow over the course of a couple days filtering down through the mud.

I imagine it does stay wet in there quite a bit so any draining of the water would help the frame longevity....at least I figure it cannot hurt.

I went back later, washed the area around that slot with alcohol and siliconed it shut...I even used that high temp red colored silicone as it almost disappears on the red frame. That worked good!

Looking back now you might even be better off heating the frame to steam out all water and then just siliconing the slot shut...especially if you left some oil inside!

Sir Lef,

WELCOME!

Although the tapered pipe plugs are a good idea it is pretty much near impossible to start a tap on a round or irregular frame section. The tapered pipe taps are even harder as due to the thin wall combined with a tapered tap, the tap tends to bite and then go off at weird angles. It can be done if set up in a mill but even then due to the way the tap cuts threads through a thin wall cross section of pipe or round tube, they are real easy to cross thread the plugs if you do manage to successfully thread the hole.

Also down on that crosspiece if you ride pretty aggressively you will be hammering the heads on rocks, logs, roots, and stumps. Similar to how bolt heads mounting belly pans get all messed up. That is why you are better off with a small hole...IMO anyway.
dvgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #1133
MastuhWaffles
Master of Waffles

Oddometer: 13
Hello everyone! This is my first post on here, and I figured this threads going to fit perfectly. So story time! Anyways I own a 1986 (i think) Yamaha Big Wheel 200, and it sat for about 26 years, my grandpa had bought it for the mountains in Colorado when it came out, rode it around for a few months, stuck it in the barn and never took it back out. Until earlier last year it really got me thinking. It sits up in Colorado at our cabin and every year I go up and I always see it, yet never touch it. Earlier last year when I was up there I looked at it for a good time, then I thought, I wonder if I can get it working, so I pulled it out and examined it. It was dirty and beat up, the chain guard was broken off, and replaced with a tin can, as well as the rat crap and chewn wires. So I took the seat off, put some engine starting fluid in it turned the fuel on, took the engine stop switch off and kicked it like crazy. And on my 5th try, it fired right up. And I preceded to take it out and ride it, and oh boy does it ride great, and I quickly learned a few thing about it, it changes your riding style a bit, I was used to racing bikes, it's not very fast, but oh man can that puppy climb! After awhile of riding around I noticed an oil leak, and I still haven't found out what's causing it, so that's the initial plan is to fix that. As well as a good cleaning. Anyways I hope I can get some help on re wiring and fixing the oil leak, cause I'm not a genius with motorbikes.
And I lost some photos but here's my only one!

Oh and notice the custom front rack my grandpa made.. Should I take it off?
MastuhWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:58 PM   #1134
RWBWheel
Gnarly Adventurer

Mastufawaffles

Dude !
That's a big score and you owe a thumbs up to your grandpa for having the foresight to buy the 'red headed stepchild of dirtbikes'...
I have a couple and they aren't fast but alot of fun..
I'm in the Cascades and you wanna talk about a hill climbin' mo/fo little bike??
IT AINT ORANGE THAT'S FOR SHURE......
(tiss so funny..they get near the top and always flip over ..boink..boink down the hill they go..endo..endo..ohhh..a pirouete!.......silly m/x er's...he.he... ill pull into a lot and it looks like a freakin' pumpkin' patch...like you can pay money for skills...ahh yes America in the 21st century)....
Old 04-19-2013, 01:50 AM   #1135
sticker
Adventurer

MastuhWaffles, great find for sure!! That's awesome it started that quick after sitting for so long. It looks like you have an '85 model there because the front wheel is silver in colour. The '86's had gold front rims. Also if it has only a kick start then it's definitely an '85.
sticker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:56 AM   #1136
Röhrich
big wheel freak

Oddometer: 136
Just a little question:

Is it a fair trade, BW200 with Honda Fl250 odessey?
I don´t know anything about the buggy´s.
Someone is interested in one of my BW200´s and would like to trade his own FL250.

Regards,

Röhrich

Röhrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #1137
MastuhWaffles
Master of Waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBWheel View Post
Dude !
That's a big score and you owe a thumbs up to your grandpa for having the foresight to buy the 'red headed stepchild of dirtbikes'...
I have a couple and they aren't fast but alot of fun..
I'm in the Cascades and you wanna talk about a hill climbin' mo/fo little bike??
IT AINT ORANGE THAT'S FOR SHURE......
(tiss so funny..they get near the top and always flip over ..boink..boink down the hill they go..endo..endo..ohhh..a pirouete!.......silly m/x er's...he.he... ill pull into a lot and it looks like a freakin' pumpkin' patch...like you can pay money for skills...ahh yes America in the 21st century)....
Yeah, well its fun, I don't go up to Colorado until next month, so I can't play with it D:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sticker View Post
MastuhWaffles, great find for sure!! That's awesome it started that quick after sitting for so long. It looks like you have an '85 model there because the front wheel is silver in colour. The '86's had gold front rims. Also if it has only a kick start then it's definitely an '85.
Ahh, yep kick start only, I'm guessing it has a battery though to run the lights? I'm happy he gave it to me, I love to ride and being my only bike now I can devote my time to it. Super fun to ride on trails, I can't do a wheelie on it :( but I can jump it.
MastuhWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #1138
DEAVER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
[QUOTE=MastuhWaffles;21219996]Hello everyone! This is my first post on here, and I figured this threads going to fit perfectly. So story time! QUOTE]

Hi and welcome. I alway enjoy "barn find" stories. Best of luck fixin er up. look forward to the rebulid pics.
DEAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:31 PM   #1139
DEAVER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Röhrich View Post
Just a little question:

Is it a fair trade, BW200 with Honda Fl250 odessey?
I don´t know anything about the buggy´s.
Someone is interested in one of my BW200´s and would like to trade his own FL250.

Regards,

Röhrich

I wouldn't trade for the vehicle in the pic, looks like a real rough ride and slow. keep your BW.
DEAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:24 PM   #1140
RWBWheel
Gnarly Adventurer

BW200 goes to the Portland ALLEY SWEEPER ENDURO !!

Went to 'Potlandia' last weekend for an event I saw online, lot's of fun and alot of older cool bikes and classic enduro's.
There was another BW200 on the ride and I never got a chance to talk to him. He was on one of the 20+ non plated bikeson the ride.
They figure final count close to 400 bikes...
Portland has 128 miles of unimproved alleys that have not seen traffic in decades.

">
A Bigwheel hanging out in bad company....

Shercomon, I would hire you if I could afford you to mate this parts bike I got for $300 last summer..

I had never seen a Yammie TDR-Dualsport till the Enduro..
This is a pic and a caption for another thread on here of same bike on last years ride..
I think it would be a lightweight screamer on a B.W. frame....

Day-um Pickle! That's a yammy TDR-250, the most rip-snortingist of all rip snorting 250 dual-sport type thingamajigs ever created in the history of the world... The legends say they have a few equines shy of 50hp at a bajillion revs, which IMHO is about 46hp more then needed to successfully traverse a muddy alley or the woop woops down under

RWBWheel screwed with this post 04-20-2013 at 12:29 AM