Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #1141
MastuhWaffles
Master of Waffles

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAVER View Post

Hi and welcome. I alway enjoy "barn find" stories. Best of luck fixin er up. look forward to the rebulid pics.
Thanks! It kinda was a smack in the face barn find. I wish I would've taken it out earlier, but when I was little I was scared of it...And I thought it looked stupid. Oh gosh how wrong I was. I'm just hoping I don't break it more by trying to fix it.

MastuhWaffles screwed with this post 04-19-2013 at 10:40 PM
MastuhWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #1142
KINGSIZE
This Guy

Oddometer: 1
Hola!

Hi guys,

I just picked up a 1985 BW200. Bikes complete and runs ok. I plan on a full resto-mod build up. Only bad part is the tank has a few holes in it. Anyone ever swap a larger ATC tank on one?

I'm 90% sure I'll end up swapping in a larger motor. Maybe a XR350 or XR400. Not sure yet. The 200 motor runs but smokes a bit. I'm sure it needs a rebuild.

Glad you guys are here. This this thread has helped me a bit already. I could only imagine how many others this helped.

Kingsize
KINGSIZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #1143
BWSwamper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
BW200 Tanks

The Clarke IT200 tank might work. It is 2.7 gals. vs. 1.7 stock. Came across one and decided to give it a shot. Here are some photos of a quick test fit with no modifications. This has got to be the closest cousin that is out there. Notice how the indentation in the rear of the tank matches the BW. The IT200 frame was a little funky, so the wider BW frame isn't an issue. It will require slight relocation of coil and some type of custom forward mounting tabs.

http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/BW...tml?sort=3&o=0

This tank is a square faced tank with fork indentations. They don't match the BW, but the square face and set back means the BW forks don't touch at full lock. Only problem looks like the possible need for a cosmetic white cowling in front of the tank to reduce the visual impact of the larger amount of exposed frame. (The IT200 sort of has that too.)

BWSwamper screwed with this post 04-20-2013 at 09:00 PM
BWSwamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:59 PM   #1144
Duster11
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Found inside my BW350 gas tank. Is it supposed to be there or is it something being smuggled or ? It's like 4 fishing weights inside a plastic bullet shaped thingy.

Also, are there carb rebuild kits available for the 350? Got the carb off and it's a mess.

Thanks,
Duster

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 04-21-2013, 12:16 AM   #1145
Cliff h
[IMG]http://i219.pho

Oddometer: 240
Looks like a fuel catalyst such as a fitch or something like that. It is supposed to do wonders for your fuel (If you believe the advertised claims) like increase fuel mileage and lower octane requirements. Do they work, I doubt it, but I have never tried one either.
Cliff h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:57 AM   #1146
Duster11
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff h View Post
Looks like a fuel catalyst such as a fitch or something like that. It is supposed to do wonders for your fuel (If you believe the advertised claims) like increase fuel mileage and lower octane requirements. Do they work, I doubt it, but I have never tried one either.

That's what it is, I'd never heard of such a thing.

http://www.fitchcatalyst.com/
Old 04-21-2013, 08:46 PM   #1147
jaubuchon
Cheapest Boy Alive

Oddometer: 36
Eek Bigmower is back

Well I have the harness for the bigmower200 done except for one thing
What are the two wires on the cdi Green and white that have their own plug but go to nothing on my harness do? Please help
jaubuchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:55 AM   #1148
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Oddometer: 715
I'm going to venture a guess about the green wire because I have a broken green wire on my harness. Everything is working normally and that leads me to think that it could be the ground for the switch that prevents the bike being started in gear or without the clutch lever pulled in. I bypassed mine, so it would leave the wire without a function.

My short search for a 200 wiring diagram has left me empty handed, so this is pure speculation.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 04-22-2013, 10:10 AM   #1149
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

The Glacier Ride Report

Sunday arrived with blue skies, moderate temperatures and a pair of kitchen passes. So Cliff and I started off the day with The Breakfast of Champions:

We drove to the Jim Creek trailhead, where we received numerous stares from the Rhino/Razor/fourwheeler riders that were populating the parking lot.

Spring has definitely taken hold, as evidenced by the rushing meltwater and open streams along the route:

At the half-way point to the Knik Glacier, Cliff noticed a sign advertising "Free Mud Baths - Today Only!!!!!" Not being able to pass up such a sweet deal, he dove in headlong:

Just to show what an epic faceplant it was, here are some shots of his helmet and goggles that also got the spa treatment:

Old 04-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #1150
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

It turns out the the free mudbath wasn't truly free. It came at the cost of one brake lever. I guess Ayn Rand was right.

However, riding around without a brake lever is something that Cliff has become quite accustomed to, for some reason (ahem).

Refreshed by the break, we continued on to the glacier. As we rode over the terminal moraine, the tracks became fewer and fewer. Out on the lake at the base of the glacier there was a single trail between the icebergs frozen in place. Everyone was afraid to deviate from the track for fear of breaking through and joining the mastodons and mammoths that lie beneath. Spring riding in Alaska is a sport for courageous idiots.

That, of course, meant that we needed to ride up the side of an iceberg and jump off of it, since we were as far away from the trailer as was physically possible:

That is how Cliff managed to exterminate his clutch lever. No clutch and no brakes, that's a FatCat, right?

Cliff exposed his sentiments to the glacier and we began the long slog back home. Using only the rear drum to control the massive horsepower, we enjoyed the slimy ride back to the truck in the mid-forties temps that melted the frozen mud into a more malicious form.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #1151
jaubuchon
Cheapest Boy Alive

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. BigWheel View Post
I'm going to venture a guess about the green wire because I have a broken green wire on my harness. Everything is working normally and that leads me to think that it could be the ground for the switch that prevents the bike being started in gear or without the clutch lever pulled in. I bypassed mine, so it would leave the wire without a function.

My short search for a 200 wiring diagram has left me empty handed, so this is pure speculation.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Thank you. The bike should be running any day now
jaubuchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #1152
vroom_vroom
screaming chicken

Oddometer: 63
it seems that cliff would keep a aftermarket parts company for the bw in business by himself. the destructor come

'86 Bw 200
vroom_vroom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #1153
RWBWheel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
BW200 Mileage-Blinkers Etc..

Vroom-Vroom -
I Did a 'somewhat' mileage test while turkey hunting and did 48 miles on the GPS and still was a way from reserve, Lots of elevation and on the gas alot,next time ill remember someting to measure exacty for a MPG Est.
Cle-Elum ridge in Wa. State, looking N.E. to windfarm.

Camped with BW on the creekbottom:

Watch out for these sukkas ! they will ruin yer day at 40 mph...
Like a moron I was holding my camera going up the road as so many elk had been around and this one jumped out so quick i didnt see it comming..missed it by a good 6 feet though..one hand on the bars and lost a couple heartbeats..no more hand held while riding for me..

Lots of up and down looking for Turkeys and Coyotes..

Put over 100 miles on the B-Dub in one day for the first time and I was toast.
MADE FOR A SLEEPY BIGWHEEL...

BWSwamper, this is a pic of where the front lights went, tucked up high, very flexible and bright.
Yes-still trying to figure the wiring ..
how does a guy tap into a clean power line to run 12V?? anyone??
I tried to install the tusk handlebar control to the 'headlight' main wire as their instructions and the bulb got so bright it looked like an aircraft landing light for 3 seconds and literally blew up-first time I had seen that happen...I dont know wich wire would do that ?
The more I look at the diagrams the more I am hesitant o connect anything without further consultation.

BWSwamper - that tank looks great to me, the exposed steering area has always been an eyesore, not that I picked this model for 'beauty' ..blends to the seat nice too..watcha thinkin' for a cowl?? like a faux tank extension to blend in??

RWBWheel screwed with this post 04-25-2013 at 09:49 PM
RWBWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #1154
Cliff h
[IMG]http://i219.pho

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom_vroom View Post
it seems that cliff would keep a aftermarket parts company for the bw in business by himself. the destructor come
Just doing my part to keep the economy going. The Bigwheel aftermarket cottage industry is alive!
Cliff h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:18 AM   #1155
BWSwamper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
IT200 Tank on BW200 (Cosmetic Cowling)

RWBWheel,

That's what I'm thinking. A white plastic cowl/faux panel to blend in with the tank and hide some of the steering head.

It would need to be narrower than the tank (as viewd from above) in order to maintain the full lock steering. I have a broken BW front fender which might serve as material. Also, thought about using one of the soft white plastic marine vent cowls.
BWSwamper is offline   Reply With Quote