Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #1156
broettge
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
looking for a BW350 in the upper midwest.

I will save you all the long boring story about selling a bw350 and regret....

So, I live in Minneapolis, MN and am looking for a BW350 at a reasonable price. For some reason the only ones I can find locally are priced over $3000.

I have been searching craigslist and find a lot of BW350s around the country that are priced between $1800 and $2300. Heck, I even found one in NJ for $1300 but can't really justify driving that far. http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/mcy/3743767122.html Maybe one of you guys can save it from the mentally challenged current owner.

Let me know if you have one or know of one for sale that is priced at 2K or under and it is within 500 miles of me. It is ok if it is in rough shape.

Thanks,

Brent
broettge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:16 PM   #1157
RWBWheel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
[QUOTE=broettge;21275234]I will save you all the long boring story about selling a bw350 and regret....

Call and have it shipped,..it's gotta have darn near no wear on it !!!!
Really, I watch the whole northwest/west alot and 3 grand for a 'mint' one is the normall top end, this could be better with a little love..
RWBWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:28 PM   #1158
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Oddometer: 749
Brent,

We all know that tale of woe and regret. I do think that the 350 on the Minneapolis CL looks pretty good though.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/da...757256992.html

Like anything else, you usually get what you pay for. The new gas tank suggests that the owner was willing to put money into the bike. Some of the parts look like they were painted for the sale but at least show that some care was invested in the machine. Often, these bikes are neglected.

If you deduct the expense of driving 500 miles (which is a considerable sum these days) to get a cheaper example then you are getting closer to your price range.

Best of luck.

Mr. BigWheel
Old 04-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #1159
dudetomm
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Hi I'm new to this forum but have been lurking on this thread for a while. I bought a BW350 a couple of months ago, it was very complete but had not ran in quite awhile. After cleaning it up I tried to get it running, but it wouldn't run well at all. I found out that the CDI was bad & replaced it. Also someone had tried to work on the carb & had screwed up the main body casting beyond repair. As you all know these carburetors are rarer than the bikes themselves. I'll show you what I came up with. A 2010 Raptor 350 carb with the choke lever from a 2012 Raptor 250 along with a Raptor 350 twist throttle conversion. I also had to modify the air box boot to accommodate the larger carb throat. I used a silicone hose adapter made for turbos. It now runs great, like a new bike with the stock Raptor jetting.[/IMG][/IMG]
dudetomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:29 PM   #1160
dudetomm
n00b

Old 04-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #1161
dudetomm
n00b

Old 04-26-2013, 08:15 PM   #1162
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Oddometer: 749
dudetomm,

Welcome and thank you sooooooooo much for posting your modifications.

That is awesome. Does the kickstart lever have any interference issues with the carb at all?

I attempted to fit a Mikuni flat slide carb to the 350 and ran into fitment issues with the gas tank, the CDI, the kickstarter and the dual cable arrangement. You seem to have side stepped all of these.

When I did run the Mikuni on the 350, it was a wonderful change. The bike started great, idled beautifully and the accelerator pump made it seem like a whole new machine.

Can you detail how you used the turbo hose adapter for the airbox side? Any part numbers or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 04-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #1163
dudetomm
n00b

Mr. BigWheel,

There is plenty of room to miss the CDI & no interference with the kick starter. The bike starts & idles fine. Only thing missing is the accelerator pump, but the CV carb has no hesitation so I think it's just fine, purrs like a kitten. For the air box mod I cut about 1 & 1/2" off at the carb & added the 2 & 1/4" silicone hose ( I trimmed a little off the end to make it fit) & two screw type hose clamps. Here's a link to the hose I used:http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-25-2-1-4-5...21094922369%26
Old 04-28-2013, 06:58 AM   #1164
300stw
n00b

Oddometer: 3
BW200 big bore kit or?

new guy to the forum but not new to the bigwheel,,, i have owned 10 or 12 in the last 20 years,,,buy em take em hunting for the year and sell em,,,

any way at one time i was on the hunt for more power from the 200, seemed like a timberwolf cylinder and piston t oget in the 225 cc and higher compression could be done,,,
cant remember the details, anyone else,,,

anyway i have 2 more now for me and my 12 yr old,,,
long time ago i had put a 10" dia wheel on one with a 24" mudlite on the rear,worked real wheel, interested in the 12" wheel though,,,

anyway 200 to 225cc or so, thoughts,,,experience,
thanks
300stw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:42 AM   #1165
BWSwamper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
BW200 Big Bore

My recent search came up empty on the existence of big bore "kits" which will work on the BW200. Also, the custom shop said the 225 big bore kit will not work on the 200. So, it looks like it would be a custom, put-together kit.

The Timberwolf bore x stroke is 71mm x 58mm, while the BW200 is 67mm x 55.7mm. That would give 220 ccs for the combo, wouldn't it?

I wonder if 2mm is enough to cause a problem in the BW200. I guess it depends on the precise shape of the piston used.

Did you work out what the new compression ratio would be? The BW200 is 9.5:1, but I can't find the Timberwolf specs. I guess that also depends on the actual piston used.

One question is whether the BW200 clutch could handle much more horsepower.

Alternatively, there has been a least one successful XT225 motor transplant. That approach has the added benefit of solving the rare/expensive CDI problem. Also, the 250 big bore kits will work on the XT225 motors.

BWSwamper screwed with this post 04-28-2013 at 08:17 AM
BWSwamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:15 PM   #1166
RWBWheel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
BigWheel Productions ??

Mr. BigWheel,
When can us lower 48er's expect to see the next release of a Bigwheel feature with your loyal cast. Those glacier shot's are great and that look's like fun riding.

I proppose you give Cliff H. a gallon of this product for his birthday to coat his whole bike with.
And maybee all his gear with........

">
RWBWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:32 AM   #1167
MastuhWaffles
Master of Waffles

Oddometer: 13
Im just glad there are loads of people out there with BW's, I thought I was the only one with a funny looking bike. Lol!
Old 04-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #1168
LDL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Found another 200

Found another 200 on CL Houston , wanted to get it for the wifey , but she said she would'nt ride it . Would have loved to have 3 of the little devil's in the family.
Yep , Mr.BigWheel , we're still down here in Houston , rideing them like they were still maken them !
LDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:08 PM   #1169
Röhrich
big wheel freak

Oddometer: 154
Hi Bigwheelers,

Because of to BIG rear wheels (25x12-9), we maybe have to extend the rear swingarm, otherwise we don´t come through the german Tüv. The wheel fits in the swingarm, but I don´t think I can get a roadlicense for it. On the picture the wheels are at the maximum rearwards.

Regards,

Röhrich

Röhrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:27 PM   #1170
Shercoman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBWheel View Post
Went to 'Potlandia' last weekend for an event I saw online, lot's of fun and alot of older cool bikes and classic enduro's.
There was another BW200 on the ride and I never got a chance to talk to him. He was on one of the 20+ non plated bikeson the ride.
They figure final count close to 400 bikes...
Portland has 128 miles of unimproved alleys that have not seen traffic in decades.

">
A Bigwheel hanging out in bad company....

Shercomon, I would hire you if I could afford you to mate this parts bike I got for $300 last summer..

I had never seen a Yammie TDR-Dualsport till the Enduro..
This is a pic and a caption for another thread on here of same bike on last years ride..
I think it would be a lightweight screamer on a B.W. frame....

Day-um Pickle! That's a yammy TDR-250, the most rip-snortingist of all rip snorting 250 dual-sport type thingamajigs ever created in the history of the world... The legends say they have a few equines shy of 50hp at a bajillion revs, which IMHO is about 46hp more then needed to successfully traverse a muddy alley or the woop woops down under
Do you want to put the TDR-250 engine in that 200? Do you have a side shot of the TDR?
Shercoman is offline   Reply With Quote