Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2011, 10:45 PM   #106
Cliff h
[IMG]http://i219.pho

Oddometer: 239
Mr. Big Wheel, I more than anything wanted a Big Wheel when I was a kid. I would relentlessly ask my dad to buy one for me to no avail. Now that I am more toward middle age, and a little rounder in the middle, I have been able to locate and buy a Big Wheel 350. It is the culmination of my childhood dream. I bought the machine in August, and have put many miles on it in the meantime. The bike is in very good condition. I joined this forum in hopes of getting in contact with you. I live in Anchorage and was wondering if I might tag along with you one day on a ride. I am not looking for fame or fortune, just a good time with a fellow Big Wheel enthusiast. What do you think?
Cliff.
Cliff h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:16 AM   #107
dmvmechanics
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
One of the BW floating around the anchorage area is stolen. we had one that disappeared from a friends on Dearmoun. its been a while but it was a blast before it got ripped off. close to 8 years missing.
Buell 1125cr For Sale
dmvmechanics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:59 PM   #108
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Oddometer: 715
dmvmechanics,

Do you have any more info that could be posted about the stolen BW? A VIN vould be very helpful. Otherwise, it makes everyone in a very small population of bike owners a potential buyer of a stolen bike. Even any details about the particular bike would be helpful if there is some way to differentiate it from another BigWheel.

Cliff,

Hell yes! Let's go ride. How about noon tomorrow?

If that's too soon, I'm sure we can arrange something.

Remember, Arlo Guthrie said that it would only take three of us to be an organization. If we can assemble fifty, we'll be a movement.

Let the BigWheel Revolution begin!

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 12-11-2011, 01:43 AM   #109
Cliff h

Mr. Big Wheel. Unfortunately, (Well sorta) my daughter is having a party for her 3rd birthday. I would love to go for a ride except for that fact. I enjoy your brand of humor, and I think that you would be a blast to ride with. I don't have studded tires (yet) on my big wheel, but hope to have some soon. Please send your contact info so that we can make a ride happen soon.
I sincerely hope that I am not in possession of the stolen Big Wheel. I did get a bill of sale from the guy and his driver's license #, and the guy seemed very honest and sincere. I vin # would help confirm that I am not in possession of said Big Wheel. Best of luck in finding the stolen machine.

Cliff
Old 12-11-2011, 08:09 PM   #110
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Cliff,

I have one of those three year old monsters. I have no idea who came up with that Terrible Two stereotype, but they were off by at least a year. Have no worries about missing the most awesome day of riding of this entire century (it was raining sideways up here and we hammered a couple of growlers from Mooses' Tooth instead).

I'll send you a PM when I can spell without spellcheck again.

Regareds,

Meester BeegWheell
Old 12-11-2011, 09:46 PM   #111
mudmantra
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. BigWheel View Post

Mudmantra,

I agree with your riding philosophy. I take the BW for all of my solo riding because it can make it through a lot of scenarios without having to ride at a ten tenths pace. Nobody expects speed out of a BIgWheel, so once you break 10 mph, you have exceeded everyones' expectations.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
I discovered a method to almost instantly make your BIGWHEEL handle much better. Take a ride on a FATCAT, they wander around regardless of how slow you go. I still have one and it's great for crashing through brush. But after taking a ride on the FATCAT, riding the BIGWHEEL is much smoother.
mudmantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:31 AM   #112
Cliff h

Quote:
Cliff,

I have one of those three year old monsters. I have no idea who came up with that Terrible Two stereotype, but they were off by at least a year. Have no worries about missing the most awesome day of riding of this entire century (it was raining sideways up here and we hammered a couple of growlers from Mooses' Tooth instead).

I'll send you a PM when I can spell without spellcheck again.

Regareds,

Meester BeegWheell
Yeah, I was wondering if you had gone out for a ride in that weather. Our power was out last night for 2 hours due to the heavy wet snow and high winds. With a 3 year old, I can understand the need for a growler or 2, regardless of the riding conditions, and Mooses Tooth pizza is always a welcome meal.
In the words of Alexander the Great, or was it the great Alexander Haig: "Ich bin ein Bigweeler" or something like that....?
Old 12-12-2011, 10:03 PM   #113
rhino89523
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I have one of these things, just cruising and saw this thread and it made me smile. I have one of the 200's and I think the thing is ridiculous, it's not really great at anything but it always runs. It is the weirdest handling thing I have ever put a leg over and I own a few 3 wheelers too. I saw it sitting out at a garage sale, stopped and yelled at the guy he said $200 and it was in the truck. It's pretty good at teaching people how to ride because you can dump the clutch at idle and it goes or you can dump it at full tilt and the front tire barely leaves the ground. I can't really describe it because when I talk about it it all sounds kind of bad but I will never sell it. It always puts a smile on my face, even just seeing it in my garage puts a grin on my face. It is so stupid and yet so fun. Long live the BW!!!
rhino89523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:07 PM   #114
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

rhino89523,

I think you summed it up pretty well. I'm going ride my BigWheel to the retirement center when my time comes up.

But in the meantime, I'm going to take it out on the snowmachine trails tomorrow on a solo ride. There is no other bike that I can do this on and have reasonable certainty about making it back intact. Every timer I think about making the KTM into a BW, I realize that it make more sense to make the BigWheel into a KTM.

That probably makes no sense to someone who is not a BIgWheeler, but I still haven't figured out if it makes sense to those of us with the BW affliction.

Regards,
Old 12-13-2011, 07:11 PM   #115
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

and BTW mudmantra,

Do you spend the majority of your day on ebay?

Couldn't you find another more obscure bike with worse parts availability?

Either the BIgWheel or the Fat Cat would have fit the bill, but both of them?

I admire your wild fat-tire abandon.

Regards,
Old 12-13-2011, 09:47 PM   #116
mudmantra
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
and BTW mudmantra,

Do you spend the majority of your day on ebay?

Couldn't you find another more obscure bike with worse parts availability?

Either the BIgWheel or the Fat Cat would have fit the bill, but both of them?

I admire your wild fat-tire abandon.

Regards,
On the plus side I don't worry about everything working perfect. I have some spare parts for the Fat cat . The CDI is weak and the motor is completely worn out on the Big Wheel, but I have a spare XT225 motor that just might fit, and the CDI's are cheaper for them. An extra 5hp and a little more torque shouldn't hurt either.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:20 AM   #117
rhino89523
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I really like my CR500 in the snow but the BW gets it done too. Cool spot here, I just smile every time I see a bike with the big fat back tire.
rhino89523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:42 PM   #118
mudmantra
Gnarly Adventurer

So far on the 1985 BW200, I've completely painted the frame and engine. Installed new sprockets and chains. Rebuilt the carburetor. New air filter. Removed the swing arm, cleaned,greased the jackshaft bearings and rebuilt the adjusters. Replaced a rear wheel bearing and seal. Installed new timing chain and cam bearing, new oil and filter, new levers. Recovered the seat. Cleaned the gas tank. Installed new brake shoes. Repaired the wiring. And some other small stuff. It's raining right now, so the trails are getting ready for the Big Wheel.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:28 PM   #119
2handedSpey
bunned

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudmantra View Post
BigWheel.

Oh.
My.
God.

That is hideous

But, I'd really like to ride it
2handedSpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:32 AM   #120
mudmantra
Gnarly Adventurer

If you get a chance to ride a Big Wheel, don't just take a couple of laps in a parking lot or somewhere a regular dirt bike is easy and fun to ride at. Instead take it somewhere your standard dirt bike just barely makes it, or won't and try it there. For me, I have some trails my dirt bikes well just make it when it's dry, as soon as the rain comes, forget about it. That's when the Big Wheel dose it's best work. I can get my trail riding fix in' not matter what the weathers like. Plus the wide tire doesn't cut ruts in the trails. A real plus when you have to ride over lots of water bars.