Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #1201
DEAVER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
So my 350 ran great prior to the winter. as my relatives told me. I received it today and I wouldn't start so I put a new spark plug in. the battery was weak and I didn't realize it had a decompression switch. charged it, and with the choke half way it started up, but sounded like it would shut off at any moment. would stall if I moved the idle screw or give it some throttle. so I let it run for a good while and it sounded strong, yet turn off the choke and she went dead. with the choke halfway ran again. some throttle and she would die. I figure its the carb from sitting for 9 months. pulled it off cleaned the shit out of it about to reinstall in an hour or so. didn't appear overly dirty but It doesn't take much. the lower gasket is weird, like it isn't a bw one or something. it leak gas there and the shape is natural to the surface it supposed to be on. and its like the previous owner didn't remove the old one. i'll take a pic.
DEAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #1202
wingnut racer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
BW Crab rebuild kits

Anyone have any idea where I can find one. The pilot jet pn 2JN-14342-23-00 seems to be unavailable anywhere. Anyone have links, leads, spares ect?
wingnut racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:10 PM   #1203
Shercoman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAVER View Post
So my 350 ran great prior to the winter. as my relatives told me. I received it today and I wouldn't start so I put a new spark plug in. the battery was weak and I didn't realize it had a decompression switch. charged it, and with the choke half way it started up, but sounded like it would shut off at any moment. would stall if I moved the idle screw or give it some throttle. so I let it run for a good while and it sounded strong, yet turn off the choke and she went dead. with the choke halfway ran again. some throttle and she would die. I figure its the carb from sitting for 9 months. pulled it off cleaned the shit out of it about to reinstall in an hour or so. didn't appear overly dirty but It doesn't take much. the lower gasket is weird, like it isn't a bw one or something. it leak gas there and the shape is natural to the surface it supposed to be on. and its like the previous owner didn't remove the old one. i'll take a pic.
This sounds like a plugged pilot jet.Since the hole is very tiny,you need to remove this jet and verify that you can see light through it.If not,it is plugged.If you cannot see through it and cannot blow air through to clean it,it may be gummed up and you'll need to push a small piece of wire through to open it.
Then verify there is no other dirt in the carb that will plug it back up when you assemble it and try to run again.
For old machines like ours,fuel filters are your friend.
Shercoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:39 AM   #1204
DEAVER
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shercoman View Post
This sounds like a plugged pilot jet.Since the hole is very tiny,you need to remove this jet and verify that you can see light through it.If not,it is plugged.If you cannot see through it and cannot blow air through to clean it,it may be gummed up and you'll need to push a small piece of wire through to open it.
Then verify there is no other dirt in the carb that will plug it back up when you assemble it and try to run again.
For old machines like ours,fuel filters are your friend.
do u happen to know how many turns for the pilot screw set, in much hurry I accidently removed it.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #1205
Shercoman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
do u happen to know how many turns for the pilot screw set, in much hurry I accidently removed it.
Paging Mr. Bigwheel to the carb adjustment phone....

I don't have that carb or a manual so I'm sorry I cannot answer your question.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:17 AM   #1206
cubegleamer
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Bw200

Hi Guys,
I found a BW200 that I'm interested in. I do a lot of trail riding. I currently have a CRF230F and a PW50 for my 4 year old. Some of the trails here in FL are very sandy and hard to ride. If you've ever tried to ride a dirtbike in sugar sand you know what I'm talking about. I spend most of the time just trying to keep the dang thing on 2 wheels. How do the BW's handle in the sand? Those big tires look like they were made for sugar sand. Does anyone have any experience riding a BW in sugar sand? I think this might be the perfect bike for my wife too. I'd like to get her out on the trails with me and my boy. She's open to the idea but she thinks my CRF230F is too "big and scary".
cubegleamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #1207
DEAVER
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Paging Mr. Bigwheel to the carb adjustment phone....

I don't have that carb or a manual so I'm sorry I cannot answer your question.
also, what's the best way to pull the diaphragm set from the carb. (diaphragm itself is removed , but what about the pin spring etc.) nervous bout using plyers
Old 05-22-2013, 08:23 PM   #1208
Shercoman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubegleamer View Post
Hi Guys,
I found a BW200 that I'm interested in. I do a lot of trail riding. I currently have a CRF230F and a PW50 for my 4 year old. Some of the trails here in FL are very sandy and hard to ride. If you've ever tried to ride a dirtbike in sugar sand you know what I'm talking about. I spend most of the time just trying to keep the dang thing on 2 wheels. How do the BW's handle in the sand? Those big tires look like they were made for sugar sand. Does anyone have any experience riding a BW in sugar sand? I think this might be the perfect bike for my wife too. I'd like to get her out on the trails with me and my boy. She's open to the idea but she thinks my CRF230F is too "big and scary".
BW's are awesome in sand.The big tires float on the sand instead of digging in like a narrow dirt bike tire.
They also have a nice low seat height that helps them feel small also.In my opinion,you would not regret the purchase.
I have had 3 BW's over the years.
I think others here will agree.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:58 AM   #1209
cubegleamer
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
BW's are awesome in sand.The big tires float on the sand instead of digging in like a narrow dirt bike tire.
They also have a nice low seat height that helps them feel small also.In my opinion,you would not regret the purchase.
I have had 3 BW's over the years.
I think others here will agree.
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to see it again tomorrow. The BW200E that I'm looking at is in great shape. The seller wants $2000 and he's pretty firm on that price. Does that price sound about right for one of these? How do they compare to a FatCat?
cubegleamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:40 AM   #1210
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Oddometer: 734
Deaver,

I'm currently 4,700 miles from my manuals, so I have nothing to offer, other than my hazy, inaccurate memories for another week.

I hope you get the carb back together and running without too much effort. It has to be frustrating to wait that long and not have the bike ready to go.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 05-23-2013, 07:30 AM   #1211
Cliff h
[IMG]http://i219.pho

Oddometer: 251
I have not been able to find the base adjustments for the carb. in my manual. I will keep looking. Good luck.
Cliff h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #1212
DEAVER
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. BigWheel View Post
Deaver,

I'm currently 4,700 miles from my manuals, so I have nothing to offer, other than my hazy, inaccurate memories for another week.

I hope you get the carb back together and running without too much effort. It has to be frustrating to wait that long and not have the bike ready to go.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
thanks, my parts just need to be picked up by a friend and i'll start at 2 full turns and work my way back 1/4 turns to max of 2.5 turns as recommended by a friend. should be riding the weekend. gonna paint the oem muffler which is in fantastic shape, aside from the bolts that hold the pipe it to the engine, they are completely frozen. i'll leave it attached and tape it all up and spray it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff h View Post
I have not been able to find the base adjustments for the carb. in my manual. I will keep looking. Good luck.
I have the owners manual and its very basic, very little mention of the carburator. unless u have a shop service manual i'll be shit out of luck.

on another note where does everyone buy oil filters, anyone got a link. also do the lights only come on when the engine is running?
Old 05-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #1213
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Oddometer: 734
wingnut racer,

If you are looking for any part that starts with 2JN, that usually implies that it is a BigWheel part that is not shared with any other model. Unfortunately, that also means that they are not available if you can't find them at a Yamaha dealer. Neither Teikei or Yamaha offer support for the TK28.

Deaver,

It is normal for the lights to operate only when the engine is running. They are spit off of the charging system with their own coil under the stator cover.

The oil filters are nearly a generic item for Yamahas, as they have been used in many of their models. I just paid $13.50us to buy one from my local, friendly Yamaha dealer. If I had planned ahead, I could have had some filters delivered to my door for $3.50 each from an ebay vendor. Of course, they are most likely Chinese knock offs, but that just encourages me to change my oil more often...

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 05-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #1214
DEAVER
Gnarly Adventurer

I just ordered close to 800bucks worth of big wheel parts. all oem. gonna be sweet. once they ship i'll have more details. I also sprayed my exhaust, looks real nice. pics of before and after to come.

need new hand grips, what's everyone else using? also what do u spay air filter with once clean, before returning it to the box?

DEAVER screwed with this post 05-24-2013 at 03:28 PM Reason: bad grammer
Old 05-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #1215
DEAVER
Gnarly Adventurer

Laugh

Quote:
I just ordered close to 800bucks worth of big wheel parts. all oem. gonna be sweet. once they ship i'll have more details. I also sprayed my exhaust, looks real nice. pics of before and after to come.

need new hand grips, what's everyone else using? also what do u spay air filter with once clean, before returning it to the box?

So I found the pilot screw(turns out) setting. drum roll please.....2 turns. hope this helps those that want/need to know in the future.