Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #1276
Cliff h
[IMG]http://i219.pho

Oddometer: 248
Sorry folks, I have been away for a bit, working north of the Arctic Circle. I (or what's left of me) am back. Since DC is our only option saving paying extortionist's prices for factory plastics on ebay, The side panels worked ok for me. The panels were completly missing on my (race) bike, and there were no factory plastics on ebay at that point in time. The finish on the DC stuff is not as "finished" as smooth as factory plastics, but the rest of my 25 odd year old factory plastics aren't in the best shape either. I have heard the the DC headlight surround plastics are sans the headlight mounting tabs, but I have no experience with that.

As Mr. Bigwheel said, logistics are being worked out for the desert race. I am not sure if my best option would be to ship one of my bikes down, and (hopefully) ship what's left back to Alaska, or to try and find a 350 in the Pacific Northwest, and make the necessary mods down there, and ship the bike up here afterwards.

Cliff.
Cliff h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #1277
DEAVER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
here is a example of what they cost on ebay. I think this is a DC product. I post this a couple pages back, no interest then. they have sold a few since, wonder if these will appear in photo's here.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/270978720866?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
DEAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:05 AM   #1278
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,064
Not mine, nor am I affiliated but I used to have an miss my bw350 and troll this post. Found this today and wanted to share in case anybody interested.
http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/mcy/3838651558.html
Old 06-10-2013, 08:03 AM   #1279
DEAVER
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkey Cat View Post
Not mine, nor am I affiliated but I used to have an miss my bw350 and troll this post. Found this today and wanted to share in case anybody interested.
http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/mcy/3838651558.html

they are even rare-er in Canada. i'd buy that, if it was located here.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:30 PM   #1280
FutZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
So as I guessed, the kick stand order was canceled but I was able to search all of craigslist and found a guy with parts in NH and he is willing to ship me the kick stand for a reasonable price.

If anyone else is looking for parts you may want to hit him up.
http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/3795588230.html
FutZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:27 PM   #1281
FutZ
Adventurer

I'm not having any issues yet with my CDI but after reading this whole thread it is something we all need to be worried about for the future.

I found a programmable CDI for around $150 for the whole kit, but after I got the timing curve recorded then I could program the boxes to be replacements for around $70 plus shipping. Granted it would still be a custom wiring job and I'm not 100% sure on the kill switch and lighting coil. But it still looks worth investigating.

I have a working 85 BW200 and the 87 BW350 so I could get the programing for both.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #1282
BWSwamper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
CDI Option

Sounds like a great option if you can get it sorted out. Please keep us updated.

(Successful solution of the BW CDI problem leads to one being awarded an honorary title still under development, but something like "Champion of the Big Wheel Empire".)
BWSwamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #1283
DEAVER
Gnarly Adventurer

JT Sprockets Steel Rear Sprocket - 37T JTR1845.37 Yamaha BW350 87-88

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JT-Sprockets-Steel-Rear-Sprocket-37T-JTR1845-37-Yamaha-BW350-87-88-/350613543991?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item51a2321c37

what do ya think?

Old 06-12-2013, 05:41 AM   #1284
BWSwamper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Sprockets

That Ebay ad seems to shows fitment for both the BW200 and the BW350. I don't think the same sprocket could fit both due to the offset from the dish of the 350 sprocket. One or the other would be out of alignment, wouldn't it.

JT's website shows a different part number for the two. Not the clearest photo, but the sprocket in the link does seem to have a offset, just not dished like the OEM.

BWSwamper screwed with this post 06-12-2013 at 06:03 AM
BWSwamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #1285
wingnut racer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Tire Pressure

What you guys running? Can't seem to find suggested pressure anywhere. I got rocks, soft dirt hills and sand whoops. Seems I've been too high or low and haven't found that happy medium. Thanx Van
wingnut racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:12 PM   #1286
DEAVER
Gnarly Adventurer

Put a new CDI in my 350 today, starts without choke and has a nice steady idle. took it for the usual 15min run up and down some hills and seems much better. hopefully this clears up my hesitation and loss of power issues.

also got a new tank, super white, these bikes must've been really sweat when brand new. just gotta get the decals from my friend, who has a friend who can make them.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:03 PM   #1287
DEAVER
Gnarly Adventurer

just thought i'd bring this back for the new people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. BigWheel View Post

To address Deaver's question:

1. The forks are the same as the early TW200 (with drum brakes)

2. The Front wheel is the same as a Tri-Z and most of the other three-wheelers of the era

3. Rear shock is similar or identical to the TW200 (for the 350)

4. Footpegs are nearly the same as a YZ80 and should be replaced with something bigger immediately

5. The engine's bottom end is from the SR250. There are tons of those around the world.

6. The top end is interchangeable with the Warrior 350 (Warrior has larger valves)

7. The front fender from the Tri Z can be used, although they cost just as much

8. One of the yahoo forum members recently used a carb manifold from a Yamaha Bruin on a 350

9. A Banshee shift lever has a folding tip and makes a wonderful addition to any 350

10. Cables, brake and hand levers and other miscellany were straight out of the Yamaha parts bin

Items that seem to fail and are hard to get or expensive:

1. Fuel tank

2. CDI

3. Swing arm bushings

4. Any part that you break that was only made for the BW series (long list. very long list)

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 06-12-2013, 10:13 PM   #1288
Cliff h
[IMG]http://i219.pho

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut racer View Post
What you guys running? Can't seem to find suggested pressure anywhere. I got rocks, soft dirt hills and sand whoops. Seems I've been too high or low and haven't found that happy medium. Thanx Van
Sorry, I can't help you with a pressure number. I once overinflated a front tire that was leaking, in order to extend the interval between air ups. This was on a snow ride. The front end did not track well and wanted to dart around (partially, but not wholly due to the snowy conditions). As pressure was reduced, the front end tracked much better. I never put a pressure gauge in my tires, I adjust according to ride feel. What kind of conditions/terrain do you ride in?
Cliff h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:31 PM   #1289
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Oddometer: 730
I don't think that the sprocket shown it the photo on ebay will work on either the 200 or the 350. The tooth count might be correct but the location that it attaches to the axle is entirely too wide to be used without a spacer of some sort.

Since there are no more 350, dished sprockets available, we are going to have to use spacers and 200 sprockets anyway. The Sixpepper method involves a cut-down BW200 sprocket and a new BW200 sprocket in combination:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6eFZtjwrhE

It is all presented in a pleasing Georgia accent and sometimes I play these videos to help me fall asleep.

Regardless, DON'T THROW OUT YOUR OLD SPROCKETS!!!! YOU ARE GOING TO NEED THEM TO MAKE SPACERS FOR YOUR NEXT 350 SPROCKET!!!!

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 06-13-2013, 06:23 AM   #1290
FutZ
Adventurer

Tire pressure

BW200 manual calls for 4.3 psi
BW350 manual calls for 5.8 psi

It requires a low pressure air gauge to be able to set pressures in this range. I thing most everyone goes with a trial and error or kick/bounce/ride testing for air pressure.