Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 10:46 PM   #1396
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Oddometer: 734
The tire predictably worked well in the loose stuff. Unfortunately, there are almost no real sand dunes in Alaska. I got to play in the glacial silt, where the bike carved pretty well.

However, getting to the silty stuff involved quite a bit of hardpack and that was eye opening.

The tire rolls across the hard stuff like one of Fred Flintstone's wheels. It feels like it is roughly square and sometimes rectangular. I can't imagine that it did any favors to my worn out chain and sprockets but they are another subject entirely.

I was riding with MiniMe on the 80 and didn't really get to test the tire extensively, so there may be a more comprehensive report in the future.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 07-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #1397
greg24
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
steering head

have amy one rebuild the steering head and how hard is it to get the right parts on a bw200
Old 07-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #1398
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

greg24,

The steering head rebuild is fairly simple and straightforward.

The stock setup has loose ball bearings in a race on the top of the stem. I think one of the best things to do to a BW is to replace the ball bearings with a tapered bearing from a kit like this:

http://www.allballsracing.com/22-1008.html

That is from All Balls but there are other manufacturers and they can usually be found a little bit cheaper on Ebay.

You just tap the old race out and press the new one from the kit into position and you'll never have to chase ball bearings across the garage floor again.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 07-20-2013, 04:00 AM   #1399
vroom_vroom
screaming chicken

Oddometer: 64
can you tap the head for a zert fitting for the bearings?

'86 Bw 200
vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #1400
greg24
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
thanks for the infor
Old 07-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #1401
Shercoman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom_vroom View Post
can you tap the head for a zert fitting for the bearings?
You certainly could but it would take a lot of grease to fill up the empty space inside and would be a mess to clean out when you take it apart again.

Once done right they do not need to be done again for a long time.
Shercoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:32 AM   #1402
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

I'll second Shercoman's opinion. I had a BW that had the steering head tapped with a zerk fitting and it took about three pounds of grease before any reached the bearings. The steering bearings are very low RPM setups and just doing the normal servicing of the bearings should be sufficient for long intervals.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 07-21-2013, 01:49 AM   #1403
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

This is yet another post that is designed specifically to show off what Cliff missed on today's ride because he had to "work" and pay attention to his "family."

Pffffsshhh! You can skip both of those things if you have your priorities straight.

Here, a beautiful rainbow leads to the BW:

A dramatic sky highlights the attributes of the 350:

This documents the easy passage through the MASSIVE, ENDLESS Swamp that guards the monument at the site of the wreckage of the KB-29:

The plaque:

Wish you were here, Cliff.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 07-21-2013, 10:04 AM   #1404
Cliff h
[IMG]http://i219.pho

Oddometer: 251
That bike is too clean to have crossed the swamp. I call foul. You must have had the bike choppered in. There is no other possible explanation. Although I foresee a BW vs. Fatcat expo to the Bomber and back in the near future.
Cliff h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #1405
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

This is the other half of the story:

It is the MUCH longer half. I mounted a BRAND NEW Chen Shinn tire on the rear just for this ride. I only speak Mandarin and didn't realize that Cheng Shinn is Cantonese for "Chinese Garbage." To it's credit, the tire performed surprisingly well in the swamps by virtue of it's flotation. On the way back, a rock slashed the sidewall and I got to ride 15 miles back home on a flat 2 ply tire. I can't tell you how unpleasant that is.

Now Cliff isn't even remotely jealous. I have failed in my mission.

And now I hate rainbows.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 07-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #1406
DirtHog350
BigWheeler

Oddometer: 18
Hi everyone, been a while since my first post. As always the summer is off to a busy start. Had the BigWheel out a few time now since purchasing and have really exposed so of its short comings. As well as some of the strong points. Ivr determined I'm really not a fan of riding well worn(by quads) sandy trail with the bigwheel at any speed. Its gets wicked squirrly. On the dirt or grassy trails is where I think it really shines. I still haven't done anything as far as upgrades but will look further into the the riser Mr. BigWheel suggested. I would prefer to spend a little more and get something tried and true. Thanks for the suggestion : I have also started using a new app for the forum and it allows me to post pics right from my phone so here's a few from my last ride.

Noe that I've had a few solid ride on the BW it's time for a full service. I think I need to change the short chain too. Seems pretty slack and the cam adjuster is already maxed out. Pretty sure I read I the forum the best chain to use soni won't be redundant and ask again lol.

Take care for now everyone.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:10 AM   #1407
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

DirtHog350,

What has been discovered recently is that Yamaha has sold all of the engine mounted sprockets and there is not a readily aftermarket replacement.

I need to change all of my sprockets and chains on one bike and think I have located a reasonable substitute for the countershaft sprocket. I'll get one ordered and let you know how it works out.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:30 AM   #1408
BWSwamper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Dirt Hog's Tires

DirtHog350,

I'm not a big fan of the OEM tire. Wait until you get a more open v-pattern tire on the beast before you pass judgment. My world is full of sand and mud and the OEM tread seems squirrelly in both to me.

I am using the Carlisle AT489s on both ends and the difference is remarkable in terms of tracking. -Not to mention the tendency of the OEM's to become "mud slicks".
BWSwamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:34 AM   #1409
BWSwamper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Mr. BigWheel's Front (tire)

Mr. BigWheel,

What's the make/model and width of the 26 inch tire in the rainbow photos? Looks like an AT489 type tread, but the sidewall is different. Is it the ITP M/S 589?

BWSwamper screwed with this post 07-23-2013 at 04:56 AM
BWSwamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:48 AM   #1410
DirtHog350
BigWheeler

Oddometer: 18
Mr. BigWheel

Please do let me know how the replacement sprocket works out. I would like to do a partial teardown this winter and the sprockets and chains will be on my list of replacement parts.
P.S. Did you ever pull the trigger on the ITP mud lites. I'm still very curious how well they perform?

BWSwamper

Thank you for the input, I have experienced the joy of running the "mud slicks" you speak of lol. Its a challenge enough to handle a bike of this weight and characteristic as is but when the trails get slick it's like a game of Russian roulette. I'm looking forward to upgrading the tires soon. Have you ever used ITP mud lites?