ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Which color should I finish the bike in?
Flat Olive Drab 18 43.90%
Flat Black 6 14.63%
Satin Black 17 41.46%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-2015, 02:33 PM   #1
RiverCitySlicker OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
1993 XR250L - Rags to Riches

I've begun this build, without the help of a credit line of any type. It may be slow going at times, thats what happens when you build with cash. I'll try to update often, I'm already half way done so Im hoping if I stagger my posts enough from the beginning that I won't catch up to my actual progress.

I'll start with a little bit of back story. Sometime around 2007 I purchased a '93 XR250R from the insurance auction, it was a recovered theft claim that had already been settled. For $800.00 I walked away with my very first motorcycle/dirtbike.

It was in rough shape (I wish i had thought to take a picture or two back then) to say the least. The wiring harness was cut everywhere, ignition lock/steering lock had been smashed out and bypassed, muffler broken off, any and all signal lamps had been broken off and wires cut including the headlight(not like the stock headlight was good for anything anyway).

My intentions when purchasing this bike was a learning/throw away bike. I got it cheap and it was beat the $h|t so I rode the dog snot out of it..... For 8 years without even changing the oil, at one point going through 4 different sets of handlebars in a single riding season. I was not nice to this bike, until last year when a title search at the insurance agency indicated that my XR250R was in fact actually an XR250L and I could plate it on the street.

Well this was surprising, and that little throw away bike, after all the abuse I had put it through was still running strong despite my best efforts otherwise. It was official, I was making a trip to my local Princess Auto store to stock up on trailer lighting in order to have DOT marked turn and brake lights(Have you priced out stockers from Honda????). A modified muffler off of a TRX400E got me a muffler that while loud, was intact and had Honda markings(to make the safety inspector happy), and a few hours with a soldiering iron and heat shrink tubing and my wiring harness was better than new. It looked as if I was ready, off to the shop I went to get my inspection papers needed for insurance. This was going to be the best day of my life. NOPE. Brake pads had no lining left in them and a cable was frayed, my newfound hobby was going to have to wait until next payday to begin.

It passed, got insured, and I got a really good season of riding in. Shortly before september of 2014 I noticed the tell tale blue smoke on decel and a dark plug. Looks like the valve seals and possibly more would need a refresh.
RiverCitySlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:38 PM   #2
RiverCitySlicker OP
Adventurer

This is how the bike looked in September of 2014, just prior to the teardown beginning.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:55 PM   #3
RiverCitySlicker OP
Adventurer

I skipped a step in my thread, Ive just started and getting mixed up already. Last summer while riding I blew out some rust on my head pipe with a lean backfire. Which caused me to begin, what would ultimately end up being a non-stop and expensive habit, modifying my bike. A quick read of the Gordon's Mods and a stop on Jets'R'Us.com as well as Ebay I had myself an XRs Only ceramic coated stainless steel header, a UNI air filter and a significant box of main and pilot jets to tune my carb.
The pipe size difference was incredible, turns out my ebay XR250R header from XRs only was actually an XRs Only XR400 header. A minor set back

Some trimming of the collars on the band saw, a little wiggling and a lot of swearing and busted knuckles got it done.
I find it to be a beautiful header, very well made and well worth to big bucks it cost.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:33 PM   #4
Te Hopo
AKA Deanohit

Oddometer: 1,689
An intriguing project, I'll be following along for sure
Te Hopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:10 AM   #5
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 2,366
Subbed.

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 02:01 PM   #6
Undercover Poe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
That's a nice bike. I was just thinking about shopping for one of them, they are hard to find too, I like both the red seat and the blue seat xr250l

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Undercover Poe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 05:49 PM   #7
RiverCitySlicker OP
Adventurer

Off comes the gas seat, gas tank, lights and exhaust. This went fairly easy with no surprises.

Gas tank has some significant dings and dents from a few years of hard riding. Will have to get them pulled and filled. Also noticed lots of rust inside, looks like I will be coating it as well.

Looks like Im going to have to find some boxes. These bikes occupy a lot more space than I thought once they're not together. This pile keeps getting bigger.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:53 PM   #8
RiverCitySlicker OP
Adventurer

This 13 tooth front sprocket seems to be missing something....

And i guess instead of just a top end kit like I had planned I'll be splitting the case to redo my seals, might as well do the trans bearings while im in there.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:58 PM   #9
RiverCitySlicker OP
Adventurer

In this picture you can see the new rear rack and rotopax tank has come in, soft tail bags as well as my new rear fender and tail light. More of the body panels have been removed from the bike.

Got 'er down to a rolling chassis,

Seems one can never have too many projects going at the same time:

Old 04-05-2015, 06:03 PM   #10
RiverCitySlicker OP
Adventurer

you can see the jug was leaking from the lower gasket in this picture,

Some of my new parts have arrived:

Old 04-06-2015, 02:43 AM   #11
Te Hopo
AKA Deanohit

Oddometer: 1,689
Have you considered just going to an aftermarket gas tank instead of all that work on the old tank?

Might be able to lose a bit of weight with a plastic tank or gain a bit of capacity.
Te Hopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:24 AM   #12
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 2,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Te Hopo View Post
Have you considered just going to an aftermarket gas tank instead of all that work on the old tank?

Might be able to lose a bit of weight with a plastic tank or gain a bit of capacity.
+1

http://justgastanks.com/product_info...roducts_id=242

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:52 AM   #13
RiverCitySlicker OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Te Hopo View Post

I've been looking into a larger tank, but don't want to loose my keyed gas cap as it is the same key for my ignition. So far only the acerbis tank is compatible I've heard, and its hard to find
Old 04-06-2015, 07:15 AM   #14
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 4,194
I have a 2002 street-legal XR250R. I have quite a few take off parts that I may not ever use again. Let me know if you need anything.

Also, that XR400 header won't get you anything. I have an OE unit that I bolted on (and, as you discovered, doesn't quite fit perfectly). IMO, the motor runs better with the smaller tube XR2 header. As for the muffler, you might want to go back to stock and find an XR4 insert. That's relatively quiet and the bigger insert allows it to breathe better.

There are several on-line Honda parts suppliers with very good prices. So, if you're getting dealer part price sticker shock, search for Service Honda. I see you're in Canada so that may not work for you.

Here's what my XR2 looked like when I got it:

Here's what my XR2 looks like now:

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:09 AM   #15
RiverCitySlicker OP
Adventurer

I haven't got that far in the build thread yet, but I will mention that the motor is at the machine shop as we speak getting a 5mm over bore, 286cc when I'm done with a custom grind megacycle cam. I'm giving up a bit of low end I know, but I do more highway than single track. With the regearing, I'm hoping my old max speed of 81mph (with a tail wind) will move up to 90ish mph