Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2011, 07:22 AM   #226
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 5,952
I don't have a dishwasher, so that's not a solution that's conveniently accessible to me.

I got a PM from Bob Geiger suggesting I give him a call for a solution, so we'll see how that goes.

Thanks for the suggestions.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:37 PM   #227
Mr. Fisherman
FTW! FIT! FIN! FYYFF

Oddometer: 10,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
I don't have a dishwasher, so that's not a solution that's conveniently accessible to me.

I got a PM from Bob Geiger suggesting I give him a call for a solution, so we'll see how that goes.

Maybe inside out with hotter water and soap?
It is so easy to turn inside out to do this. I also like to dry mine while I am at it before turning it inside in and using it again.

About the pressure hose, mine did the same. I was able to feed just enough slack hose towards the bulb and it is not as annoying anymore.

I hope it helps.
Mr. Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:52 PM   #228
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer: 2,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post

why would he not want to post it in thread for all to see?
Old 08-23-2011, 04:10 PM   #229
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 5,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by rthuey View Post
why would he not want to post it in thread for all to see?
Can't help you there.

Like I said, I'll post what I find out.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:06 PM   #230
DeFens
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
Received my Rig 500 Hi-Viz a couple of weeks ago, and tried it out last week on a 120 mile ride on the Mt. Loop Highway on my F650GS. On pavement or dirt road it stayed in place and very comfortable on my back. The venting job on the backpack seems to work pretty well, it stayed relatively cool even in fairly warm temperatures.

The spray part was great! My wife wanted to wash her hands and I was able to give her a nice blast of water; very handy. Of course, also works great for sipping while underway. I liked the angled bite value under my XD-3 helmet.

The free filter and new hose were backordered when I got my pack, but arrived earlier this week. I swapped the hose out, clicked the short and long hoses together, and placed the filter into the pack for future use if I need to go into filtration mode. It will be very handy to have that all ready to just pop together in a few seconds when needed to refill from a lake or stream.

The water from my first use did taste a bit plasticy, but I'll give it a wash and perhaps a soak in water with some baking soda in it, that should do the trick. In all, a very robust and nicely designed unit!
DeFens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #231
flyingreg
just ridin' along

Oddometer: 242
Just an FYI on my purchasing experience. I purchased a 1200 rig in camo. I got the pack in a few days and a week later got the free goodies. I am very happy with the hydration pack and the filter kit. I won't have to pack a water filter anymore, saving me about a pound. The pack is well built and should last a lifetime. Bob is very good at getting back to you to answer questions.

I am very pleased with the whole purchase experience. Way to go Geigerrig! You won me over as a satisfied customer. Never suck again!

"Illegitimis Non Carborundum"
2010 KTM 990 Adventure
flyingreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:23 AM   #232
Astir
Adventuress

Oddometer: 195
I bought my rig in April, 500 in citrus and have been using it weekly since. My work has me out of town nearly every week, riding the GS about 800 - 1000 miles a week. Temperatures running between 95 and 105 , at speed, with humidity levels below 10% really sucks the moisture out of your body.

Very pleased with this system. It is easy to fill, easy to clean, and enables me to drink LOTS of water. I find I need about 4 liters for a 300 mile stretch In these temperatures. The angle of the bite valve is good under the helmet, and the pressurized system makes drinking enough very easy - effortless really. When I stop for gas, I can easly detach it from the backpack and ask the attendent if it is OK to fill my engine with ice. It is a bit hard to say no to a hot sweaty motorcyclist in crazy hot temperatures. So easy to remove from the backpack, not to mention easy to fill! I could never do that as effortlessly with the other systems I had.

Figured out a bonus last week. Tweaked my back while on travel, and needed to ice it. Tried using the bag from my dried fruit and nuts, asked the hotel for a plastic baggy, tried the cheapo bag from the ice bucket, then looked over at my Geigerrig filled it with ice and it was perfect.

Just ordered the 3L engine, and working now working to clean out the taste. Tried a tablespoon of lemon juice, and it is now in the dishwasher. If that doesn't work, will try the baking soda DeFens suggested. I don't know how long it took my first engine to taste neutral. Early June I started adding O2 mineral drops, which also covered the taste. Who knows if they work as advertised, but I like the tangy lemony taste. Don't know if it covered the taste long enough for it to go away, or helped get rid of it.

All I can say is you simply can't go wrong with one of these systems.

Did I mention customer service is OUTSTANDING?
Astir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:44 PM   #233
BMW_BIKER_KEITH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Has anyone tried some Mouthwash (diluted) as a way to clean and get rid of the new plastic taste? I was told to try this... Havent yet. YMMV
Old 08-29-2011, 08:25 PM   #234
Grizzler
Gas Passer For Hire

Oddometer: 89
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_BIKER_KEITH View Post
Has anyone tried some Mouthwash (diluted) as a way to clean and get rid of the new plastic taste? I was told to try this... Havent yet. YMMV
I used single malt scotch (undiluted) instead of mouth wash. Took several rinses and taste tests to confirm...

No, seriously, mine came as ordered in about a week. Works as advertised. Cleans up nicely, etc.
The plastic taste was not strong, and started to fade fairly quickly.

And #1 wife (aka LavaGrrl) was not convinced until I resuscitated her somewhere in deepest British Columbia with a blast from my Geigerrig. We will be ordering a second one for next summer.

This gear emulates the pressure bags I use to squeeze blood into you in my operating room! By intravenous of course!

WDITOT?

==Grizzler
Grizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:51 PM   #235
BMW_BIKER_KEITH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Grizz - I like your Single Malt option better!

ANYONE - has someone rigged up one of these into a Tankbag ?
I dont want to be wearing one while riding gravel and dirt.
If so, which model would work in a Wolfman Enduro ? Any pics?
Old 08-31-2011, 05:30 AM   #236
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,231
Thanks to ADV inmates for embracing this excellent product and thanks to Bob at Geigerrig for giving us free goodies, and listening to our input.

Time to let this thread float.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:21 AM   #237
Miles Tugeaux
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy View Post
Thanks to ADV inmates for embracing this excellent product and thanks to Bob at Geigerrig for giving us free goodies, and listening to our input.

Time to let this thread float.
Wait - wait! I have a question!

Has anyone used one of these to drink while wearing a full face helmet? How does it work? Do you spray up from under the chin piece, or open the visor and squirt down?

I guess that's more than one question...

Tnx,

MT
Miles Tugeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:58 AM   #238
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Tugeaux View Post
Wait - wait! I have a question!

Has anyone used one of these to drink while wearing a full face helmet? How does it work? Do you spray up from under the chin piece, or open the visor and squirt down?

I guess that's more than one question...

Tnx,

MT
I have used it that way, and have no problem snaking the tube up between my chin and the helmet. Indeed, the helmet tends to hold the tube in place, which lets me bite for a drink whenever I want without fumbling around.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:25 AM   #239
flyingreg
just ridin' along

Oddometer: 242
bad taste solution

I stumbled onto this while looking at the Hydrapak website, hydrapak manufactures the Geigerrig bladder. I know some have been experiencing some bad water taste with their new units, so thought this post appropriate. I do not represent either company nor do I know if this method works for the GR unit. YMMV inmates!

How to Remove “Plastic Taste” from Reservoir

Some users can be more sensitive to plastic than others. We find that a “plastic taste” occurs upon first several uses but can be easily removed by taking the following steps:

Fill Reservoir
Squeeze a fresh lemon into the reservoir
Bleed the tube to ensure that lemon juice is thoroughly exposed to the entire system
Disconnect the Plug-N-Play connector.
Put Reservoir in the Freezer
After frozen, thaw then rinse and the residual taste should be gone

Now I ask Bob Geiger if this is the recommended method for the Geigerrig units.

"Illegitimis Non Carborundum"
2010 KTM 990 Adventure

flyingreg screwed with this post 08-31-2011 at 01:00 PM
flyingreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:19 PM   #240
GEIGERRIG OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
GEIGERRIG In Afghanistan

Bob Geiger here from GEIGERRIG...

Sorry about the delayed response to some of the inquiries here at ADV Rider. I've read through everything, and it looks as though you all are providing great feedback and advise to one another.

We are also grateful for all of the e-mails and correspondence that we receive. We're working on beefing up our customer service department in order to continue to supply the same level of service that you are accustomed to and deserve.

We are grateful for you guys here at ADV!

We've been very busy designing new gear and getting it in the hands of all those who could benefit from it and who need it:

Name:  Afghanistan #3.JPG
Views: 746
Size:  117.8 KB
GEIGERRIG is offline   Reply With Quote