User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
Carl Childers OP
Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer: 328
Spyder Sidecars

I'm considering a Spyder side car for My Harley, anyone got any feed back on these good or bad?
Old 11-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #2
SwampFox883R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
I have no personal experiance with 'em, but take a look here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278407
AN650 Burgman w/Texas Sidecar <Mrs. SwampFox's

SwampFox883R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #3
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,334
The Motorvation Spyder is a nice little car, has no frame, I believe it has torsion bar suspension and Motorvation equips them with about whatever fender and wheel one llikes.You see allot of them on HD's but you see more of its big brother the FormulaII on dressers.Decent plastic and a nice shape but not and expedition rig.DB

I was wrong it's not a torsionbar it's a conventional coil over shock the swingarm pivot is set in the molded body.

davebig screwed with this post 11-23-2013 at 04:57 AM
davebig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:32 AM   #4
davet2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
There is an Electra Glide with a Spyder on ebay right now.
davet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:11 AM   #5
Carl Childers OP
Ghost in the Machine

Yes they look good, I'm wondering how they hold up for the long run with the built in frame and all? If I got one it would see mostly all paved roads.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:28 AM   #6
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Childers View Post
Yes they look good, I'm wondering how they hold up for the long run with the built in frame and all? If I got one it would see mostly all paved roads.
They have been around forever and apparently Motorvation replaces busted suspension bits on warranty no matter who the owner is.DB
Old 11-23-2013, 07:39 AM   #7
Carl Childers OP
Ghost in the Machine

Some questions on Sidecars

I'm looking at buying or building a sidecar for my bike and I need some help in the way of information. To start I have a few years experience with hack driving as I had a Dnepr that I put an 800cc BMW motor in and had quite a bit of fun with but eventually sold. I miss having a rig so I'm poking around looking at retro style cars to put on my 01 Harley FXD that is built to look like a 70's FLH. It's no show bike I just want to give some background on the kind of tug I'd be using. It makes about 100 hp with nearly as much torque.

OK now some questions! Brakes? I see for the Spyder they are an option. How realistic is it to run without one on the chair? My HD has dual discs up front and stops pretty well for a Harley. Next steering; I'd like to run the forks and rake I have now at least for awhile what are the negatives to that beyond more effort to steer? Would it not give more highspeed stability as a trade off? Which brings up roadspeed; With everything set up right would I be able to cruise at say 80MPH? I'd want to tour with the rig and living out in the west you can make good time on the roads and I'd like to keep that ability to travel and camp out of the sidecar.

All advice is welcome!
Old 11-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #8
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,414
The Spyder is a nice sidecar and well built. Fit and finish on a new one is excellent. There is no conventional frame as DB mentioned which means more care must be taken when mounting it as you have to work around the body.
It does not have a torsion bar suspension as DB mentioned but a conventional coil over shock system. By all means call Motorvation. Ask for Mary Sontag and tell her some goof ball sidecar nut named Claude in central Pa. sent ya. They are great people to deal with and take a lot of pride in the production fo their products.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/

claude screwed with this post 11-24-2013 at 11:07 AM
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #9
GearHeadGrrrl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Not much experience with the Spyder...

Only put 120,000 miles on mine in the last 20 years. I just gave the 'hack a very thorough inspection for rust damage and found none, the unit body is still as strong as new despite some winter riding here in Minnesota. As far as not being suited for ADV style riding, don't tell the Spyder it's not an adventure 'hack... I've had it on an R100GS and many of those miles were enjoyed on back roads. And with it's low center of gravity, the Spyder handles very well.

When you do wear something out, parts prices are reasonable too. The other day I went over to Motorvation with a list of wear items like the shock, rusty wheel, and weather beaten seat that I should replace. I expected enough of a sticker shock that I might just break down and buy a new one after 20 years, but the prices were so reasonable that I'll fix the old one and ride it another decade or three and then they can bury me in it. felt kinda bad though, I really do owe them a new sidecar sale!

Mary has been hinting of a price increase soon and they're pretty busy, so might want to give Motorvation a call soon and get your order in.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #10
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Childers View Post
I'm looking at buying or building a sidecar for my bike and I need some help in the way of information. To start I have a few years experience with hack driving as I had a Dnepr that I put an 800cc BMW motor in and had quite a bit of fun with but eventually sold. I miss having a rig so I'm poking around looking at retro style cars to put on my 01 Harley FXD that is built to look like a 70's FLH. It's no show bike I just want to give some background on the kind of tug I'd be using. It makes about 100 hp with nearly as much torque.

OK now some questions! Brakes? I see for the Spyder they are an option. How realistic is it to run without one on the chair? My HD has dual discs up front and stops pretty well for a Harley. Next steering; I'd like to run the forks and rake I have now at least for awhile what are the negatives to that beyond more effort to steer? Would it not give more highspeed stability as a trade off? Which brings up roadspeed; With everything set up right would I be able to cruise at say 80MPH? I'd want to tour with the rig and living out in the west you can make good time on the roads and I'd like to keep that ability to travel and camp out of the sidecar.

All advice is welcome!
>>Brakes? I see for the Spyder they are an option. How realistic is it to run without one on the chair? My HD has dual discs up front and stops pretty well for a Harley.?<<
Either way would be fine. Brake can be retro fitted if you want to later.
>> Next steering; I'd like to run the forks and rake I have now at least for awhile what are the negatives to that beyond more effort to steer? Would it not give more highspeed stability as a trade off?<<
Run what you got. You will be fine stability wise. You can chnge th etrees or whatever later. No biggie.
>>Which brings up roadspeed; With everything set up right would I be able to cruise at say 80MPH? <<
1OO horse will cruise at 80. Gas mileage will suffer of course.
GO FOR IT.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:21 PM   #11
Carl Childers OP
Ghost in the Machine

Claude,

A big thanks for the answers to those questions!
Old 11-25-2013, 08:37 AM   #12
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
We seldom have these in the shop, We did install used one several years ago, they ran it for a couple of years and were happy with it other then, They found it very hard to get in and out of and a bit tight so much so that they had us pull the sidecar off and put a different sidecar on. At the time we were not building our own sidecars so we installed a Ural sidecar, Now I would have gone with our M72C or M72CX sidecar for them. So, before you buy one, I recommend making sure that you can get in and out of it ok. There are enough people on this forum and others that you should be able to find some one in your area that will let you sit in one.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:06 PM   #13
Carl Childers OP
Ghost in the Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydmc View Post
We seldom have these in the shop, We did install used one several years ago, they ran it for a couple of years and were happy with it other then, They found it very hard to get in and out of and a bit tight so much so that they had us pull the sidecar off and put a different sidecar on. At the time we were not building our own sidecars so we installed a Ural sidecar, Now I would have gone with our M72C or M72CX sidecar for them. So, before you buy one, I recommend making sure that you can get in and out of it ok. There are enough people on this forum and others that you should be able to find some one in your area that will let you sit in one.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
That is good to know, If I get one it would either hold groceries or extra riding gear and when I tour it would hould all my camping gear. I'm sure once in awhile the wife will go for a ride but she's 5' 4'' and 110 lbs soaking wet so I don't think she'd have a problem with a car the size of a spyder.