Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2011, 01:43 AM   #196
Steve In Ireland
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
I wouldn't soften the sidecar suspension much or you'll find roll in the corners becomes more of a problem unless you fit a sway bar. You really need to find a way to stiffen up the bike suspension. How about taking the standard rear shock to a breakers yard and trying to find something with a stiffer spring that would fit or maybe just trying to replace the spring? You can stiffen up the forks by changing the springs or at least pushing some spacers on top of them. Both of my outfits have air shocks on the back. Not cheap but make a big difference. Before I changed the forks on the Guzzi I had one inch spacers on top of the standard springs.
Steve In Ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:48 AM   #197
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by NortwestRider View Post
As far as stiffer suspension for the bike go's that is a REALLY expensive fix that I can't afford right now ( but will in time)
Not sure how you define "really expensive" but new fork springs should cost about $100, and a new spring for the shock about $125. Optionally, new valves in the forks might run about $200.

HERE is a How To for the forks.

For the shock, I'd recommend getting a pro to swap out the rear spring but HERE is a How To on that as well.

Don't know if you have a local guy who does shock work, but I've had good service from John at Moto-Pro out in Woodinville. Would seem pretty easy to order a rear spring from HyperPro or RaceTech then drive out to Woodinville to get it installed.

DRONE screwed with this post 04-08-2011 at 10:05 AM
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:32 AM   #198
storch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
suspension

On my previous rig(FJ 1100) I added a biggish air cylinder to the rear suspension.Worked very well.2 inch diameter gives 3 square inches of piston.At 20 psi it gives 60 pounds of support.Change the progressiveness
by changing volume.AT 40 psi the back suspension was very rigid,very nice for cranking turns on smooth roads. I attach a picture of similar on my latest sidecar.The shock is a junkyard shock,way to soft.The aircylinder is a 2 inch doubleacting with 4 inch throw.
Attached Images

storch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:59 AM   #199
storch
Gnarly Adventurer

suspension

In the early 1950's I had a number of rigs like this KS 600 with no rear suspension.IT had some advantages
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2011, 10:03 AM   #200
storch
Gnarly Adventurer

steering damper

Mercedes Benz steering damper is very much like the VW damper:
Part number 124-463-04-32.I paid $ 67.00 for it.I think it is for a MB 180
Old 04-08-2011, 10:35 AM   #201
boxertwin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by storch View Post
Mercedes Benz steering damper is very much like the VW damper:
Part number 124-463-04-32.I paid $ 67.00 for it.I think it is for a MB 180
Nice. Thanks.
boxertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:40 PM   #202
NortwestRider OP
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,554
My dampner is a VW fox unit,new on Ebay for $20.00,works great.Everybody I talked to wants $300.00+ for a super stiff rear spring for my V ( not including labor ).I WISH somebody made a air shock for the Vstrom,that would solve all the rear end problems.I'm going to do the forks soon,but I don't want stiff forks and soft rear on the bike.I was thinking of making a 1-2" spacer for the rear shock spring to preload it and try that??.Tomorrow I will get the car and bike more level and play with the toe in some.The only way I can think of to soften up the car is to build yet another suspension for it.I have all the parts to swap out the leaf spring and go with a trailing arm/air shock for it but i kinda like it the way it is now.Keep up the help guys I REALLY need it.
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:30 PM   #203
NortwestRider OP
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

So I have a idea,although I need your guys's input on it.I was wondering if a set of LEADING AXLE FORKS,like that on a Triumph Tiger would do the same thing as leading legs??.Both the triumph and the Vstrom have 43mm forks.

NortwestRider screwed with this post 04-08-2011 at 07:54 PM
Old 04-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #204
D.Bachtel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Thumb

Put the sidecar on the Tiger...
D.Bachtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:38 AM   #205
Steve In Ireland
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
So I have a idea,although I need your guys's input on it.I was wondering if a set of LEADING AXLE FORKS,like that on a Triumph Tiger would do the same thing as leading legs??.Both the triumph and the Vstrom have 43mm forks.
In theory it could work I guess. Moving the axle forwards without changing anything else will reduce trail.
Steve In Ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:52 AM   #206
brstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
Wicked Rear spring

Quote:
My dampner is a VW fox unit,new on Ebay for $20.00,works great.Everybody I talked to wants $300.00+ for a super stiff rear spring for my V ( not including labor ).I WISH somebody made a air shock for the Vstrom,that would solve all the rear end problems.I'm going to do the forks soon,but I don't want stiff forks and soft rear on the bike.I was thinking of making a 1-2" spacer for the rear shock spring to preload it and try that??.Tomorrow I will get the car and bike more level and play with the toe in some.The only way I can think of to soften up the car is to build yet another suspension for it.I have all the parts to swap out the leaf spring and go with a trailing arm/air shock for it but i kinda like it the way it is now.Keep up the help guys I REALLY need it.

1st think I noticed earlier in the week when I bolted the chair on then dropped the bike of the centre stand. SAG!!! Same as you the buget does not go just yet to pricey shocks so spacers may be the go???? After you sir!!! No I insist!
Cheers Bruce
brstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:12 AM   #207
NortwestRider OP
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Must be a Vstrom SAG thing !!.I think I can solve the suspension problem for about $300.00,BUT I just found that the my chain and sprockets are shot SOOOO they come first.NIX the Tiger Idea,I just bought some leading legs from a inmate here...THANKS ( you know who you are) !!
Old 04-09-2011, 11:03 AM   #208
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,238
Adding a preload spacer won't make up fo a too soft spring . It will jack up the ride height without making the suspension stiffer.
You can stiffen the spring by shortening it and replace the length you cut off with a spacer. How much?
Who knows, and experiments can get expensive. Will the shock from a 100 V- Strom fit the wee and is it stiffer?
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:00 PM   #209
D.Bachtel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Thumb

Well you might gear up or down a bit for comfort while you're at it..
10-15%. Leading Links eh? I'd like to see a photo, sounds great.
Go stiff as you can on the back with the adjustments or replacement spring(s) you can pick up. You can always go back to wallow...

Don in Nipomo
D.Bachtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:43 PM   #210
Sparrowhawkdesign
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:

Yes. It will work to reduce the trail. As a guideline most of the modifications manufactured put the trail between 1 1/4" and 2". You can look up the specifications for your bike to see what the stock trail is and decuct the amount you will be moving it forward. The more reduction the quicker and lighter the steering. Barry

General Manager, designer, installer, test rider, problem solver. Generally whatever needs doing.
37 YEARS PLAYING WITH SIDECARS

Myths and misinformation are more seductive than the truth.
Sparrowhawkdesign is offline   Reply With Quote