ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 08:12 AM   #1
Martian OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Elmdale, Kansas, USA
Oddometer: 1,108
Low Fender 91-95 GS Pic

Will someone please post some pics of the low fender on a 91-95 GS. The more detailed the better. I'm wanting to fit one to my R100R and need to see how it is done on the GS. Is the fork stabilizer the same as on the high fender version?

TIA,
Tom
__________________
Tom
'93 R100R
'02 F650GS sold)
'93 R100GSPD(sold)
http://frommars.smugmug.com
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:55 AM   #2
Martian OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Elmdale, Kansas, USA
Oddometer: 1,108
Surely someone has this information. Please share.
__________________
Tom
'93 R100R
'02 F650GS sold)
'93 R100GSPD(sold)
http://frommars.smugmug.com
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:14 AM   #3
mykill
odd
 
mykill's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 1,157
The fender is mounted to the pressed steel fork "brace",which also holds the brake hose/line junction. Just four bolts IIRC. I will try to take images later. San Jose still has their cast fork brace which replaces the stock stamped version. They have two versions, one with fender mounting holes and one without. It is probably cheaper than a new one from BMW.
Hope that helps.
__________________
Never underestimate the laxative properties of motorcycling.
mykill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:11 AM   #4
Panic
Anxiety's little friend
 
Panic's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Metro Chaingolia
Oddometer: 1,307
Not the most detailed pic but...........
__________________
" Gonna do what I want and I'm gonna get paid." Tom Waits
Panic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:47 PM   #5
Martian OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Elmdale, Kansas, USA
Oddometer: 1,108
Thanks, Panic and Mykill.

I've looked at the parts fiche on MaxBMW's site and they list the low fender ($118), but not a seperate fork stabilizer. The standard GS stabilizer is $52, but the SJBMW one looks really nice. I've got to replace the R100R "brace" and fender since I'm putting a 19" rim up front.
__________________
Tom
'93 R100R
'02 F650GS sold)
'93 R100GSPD(sold)
http://frommars.smugmug.com
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:17 PM   #6
wirewrkr
the thread-killer
 
wirewrkr's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: HIGH desert
Oddometer: 4,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
Thanks, Panic and Mykill.

I've looked at the parts fiche on MaxBMW's site and they list the low fender ($118), but not a seperate fork stabilizer. The standard GS stabilizer is $52, but the SJBMW one looks really nice. I've got to replace the R100R "brace" and fender since I'm putting a 19" rim up front.
The San Jose Brace is awesome but doesn't fit the front end of an R100R
Your front end is made by Showa, The GS front end is Marzocchi.
If you find a way to make it work please share!
__________________

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:05 PM   #7
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!
 
StephenB's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Ontario
Oddometer: 2,046
Low fender option for R100GS

Now, the R100R has a stock 2-pc low fender (front and rear) so it's construction is different, more like the K-bikes. So, not sure what you're trying to do, fitting a 1-pc low fender a la R100GS?


Here is how the optional low fender for a R100GS works.

You need to find the later 1991-1996 R100GSxx style steel fork brace that has 4 holes and 4 threads. The part # is 12342312119. The 4 holes are for mounting it to the fork sliders, the 4 threads are for mounting the low fender which was stock for the 1991-1996 GS. The brake lines should work as they are, but I am not sure.

The SJBMW stabilizer is very nice, I have one fitted myself. They once had one version for the early GS (4 holes) and one for the later (4 holes, 4 threads). But it fits the Marzocchi forks only.

I am with Robert: I don't believe you can make it work with stock parts on a R100R.
__________________

Some of the above is fact, some is fiction, some is my personal imagination and some is just simple truth. [me]

... i'm not touring around the world, but neither are most of the guys i see running overloaded spam cans ... [bmwblake]

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
StephenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:22 PM   #8
bikecat
Beastly Adventurer
 
bikecat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Tropical Far East
Oddometer: 1,109
Martian

Is there a chance that the low GS fender interfere with the R100R's calipers' crossover brakeline/pipe? If you need measurements hole-to-hole for a low fender I can put them up for ya.

Cheers
bikecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:30 PM   #9
Martian OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Elmdale, Kansas, USA
Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr View Post
The San Jose Brace is awesome but doesn't fit the front end of an R100R
Your front end is made by Showa, The GS front end is Marzocchi.
If you find a way to make it work please share!
Thanks. You've saved me the time and expense of following this dead end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
Now, the R100R has a stock 2-pc low fender (front and rear) so it's construction is different, more like the K-bikes. So, not sure what you're trying to do, fitting a 1-pc low fender a la R100GS?


Here is how the optional low fender for a R100GS works.

You need to find the later 1991-1996 R100GSxx style steel fork brace that has 4 holes and 4 threads. The part # is 12342312119. The 4 holes are for mounting it to the fork sliders, the 4 threads are for mounting the low fender which was stock for the 1991-1996 GS. The brake lines should work as they are, but I am not sure.

The SJBMW stabilizer is very nice, I have one fitted myself. They once had one version for the early GS (4 holes) and one for the later (4 holes, 4 threads). But it fits the Marzocchi forks only.

I am with Robert: I don't believe you can make it work with stock parts on a R100R.
The problem I'm trying to solve is the lack of space between the fender/brace and the tire on my R; it fills with mud and is practically impossible to cleanout on the road. The 18" front rim is being replaced with the R1100GS 19" rim so I can use a regular DS tire. Of course, this is going to reduce the clearance even more. Thus, the desire for a fender/brace with more clearance. I'm hoping to be able to use off-the-shelf parts to keep the cost reasonable. BTW, that part number doesn't match anything on MaxBMW's fiche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikecat View Post
Martian

Is there a chance that the low GS fender interfere with the R100R's calipers' crossover brakeline/pipe? If you need measurements hole-to-hole for a low fender I can put them up for ya.

Cheers
It is possible that the brakeline crossover will be an issue. However, there are bends that may provide a little wiggle room so I can clamp the pipe to the new brace over the fender. It may require lifting the calipers to install the fender, but a new crossover is not out of the question.

I would greatly appreciate any measurements you could provide me.

I will share my progress as I gather the stuff to try and solve this issue. I was hoping somebody else had GSified a '93 R100R and would be able to share what worked, but if there is, they haven't come forward.......yet.
__________________
Tom
'93 R100R
'02 F650GS sold)
'93 R100GSPD(sold)
http://frommars.smugmug.com

Martian screwed with this post 02-07-2011 at 08:44 PM
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:30 AM   #10
bikecat
Beastly Adventurer
 
bikecat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Tropical Far East
Oddometer: 1,109
Dear Martian,

I took some measurements of the holes on a R100GS low-fender. The holes are about 185 mm across eye to eye, and about 110 mm front to back. By contrast, a rough measurement puts the R100R holes about 160 mm apart so I guest they are not compatible.

How about mounting a GS high fender to solve the mud issue?
bikecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:33 AM   #11
bmwhd
God Bless Texas
 
bmwhd's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Texas
Oddometer: 1,476
__________________
Todd R.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:01 AM   #12
Martian OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Elmdale, Kansas, USA
Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikecat View Post
Dear Martian,

I took some measurements of the holes on a R100GS low-fender. The holes are about 185 mm across eye to eye, and about 110 mm front to back. By contrast, a rough measurement puts the R100R holes about 160 mm apart so I guest they are not compatible.

How about mounting a GS high fender to solve the mud issue?

Thanks, but in my impatience to advance this project and with too much snow/cold to work, I've already ordered the GS brace and low fender from the dealer in KC. If there is no way to make them work, I'll have to pay a restocking fee. The high fender is an option.

By the time I get this figured out, I could probably have bought a GS and just lowered it to R height.
__________________
Tom
'93 R100R
'02 F650GS sold)
'93 R100GSPD(sold)
http://frommars.smugmug.com
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:21 PM   #13
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!
 
StephenB's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Ontario
Oddometer: 2,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
The problem I'm trying to solve is the lack of space between the fender/brace and the tire on my R; it fills with mud and is practically impossible to cleanout on the road. The 18" front rim is being replaced with the R1100GS 19" rim so I can use a regular DS tire. Of course, this is going to reduce the clearance even more. Thus, the desire for a fender/brace with more clearance. I'm hoping to be able to use off-the-shelf parts to keep the cost reasonable. BTW, that part number doesn't match anything on MaxBMW's fiche.
You original post seemed to imply you needed a low fender, so you sent me off on a wild goose chase. What you want is the high fender and a fork brace allowing a 19" front wheel, right?

Going to a 19" wheel is the wrong way to go about this, I am not even sure it'll fit. It certainly leave an even lesser (but shorter) gap. I think you can use the R100R brace without the 2 pieces of low fender. Run two stainless steel brake lines up from each caliper to the lower triple tree and place a 1-to-2 brake line distributor there. That gets the brake line crossover out of the way and cleans up the asymmetry of the stock R100R front brakeline setup. The you need to look at the bottom of your lower triple tree and see if you can add 4 threaded holes to accommodate a high fender. An Acerbis Baja or NOST will do the job and allow custom mounting holes.

This is how I would approach it. Cost would be about $100 for brake line material and $50 for the fender shipped.

__________________

Some of the above is fact, some is fiction, some is my personal imagination and some is just simple truth. [me]

... i'm not touring around the world, but neither are most of the guys i see running overloaded spam cans ... [bmwblake]

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
StephenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:32 PM   #14
Martian OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Elmdale, Kansas, USA
Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
You original post seemed to imply you needed a low fender, so you sent me off on a wild goose chase. What you want is the high fender and a fork brace allowing a 19" front wheel, right?

Going to a 19" wheel is the wrong way to go about this, I am not even sure it'll fit. It certainly leave an even lesser (but shorter) gap. I think you can use the R100R brace without the 2 pieces of low fender. Run two stainless steel brake lines up from each caliper to the lower triple tree and place a 1-to-2 brake line distributor there. That gets the brake line crossover out of the way and cleans up the asymmetry of the stock R100R front brakeline setup. The you need to look at the bottom of your lower triple tree and see if you can add 4 threaded holes to accommodate a high fender. An Acerbis Baja or NOST will do the job and allow custom mounting holes.

This is how I would approach it. Cost would be about $100 for brake line material and $50 for the fender shipped.


My preference is the GS low fender to maintain a near stock look. Something about the high fender and low muffler just doesn't work for me. The GS fork brace is desired because it actually screws to the forks as opposed to the R brace which fits into rubber gromets in the mounting holes and is held in place with little push-on clips. The 19" rim is so I can have a greater selection of front tires made for DS use. The R1100GS rim is a 2.5X19 40 spoke rim; mine is a 2.5X18 40 spoke rim. There is currently 1" space between the top of the tire and the brace. The choke point for mud is the ears of the fender which extend down the fork a couple of inches on both parts leaving a clearance of only 1/4" between the tire and the fender. The R brace is a cast piece approx 1" thick. The GS brace *should* easily give me the clearance I need for the larger diameter rim. The distance between the forks of the R should be the same as the GS. Providing the mounting holes for the brace on the forks are close, I can probably make it work. The parts guy at the dealer thought it would fit. Ideally, I will not have to drill and tap holes in the lower triple for either a fender or brake lines.

My apologies for sending you off on a wild goose chase. I hope no wild geese were harmed in the pursuit of my education.

Edit: I just looked at the enlarged pic of your fork brace. It secures where the ears of my fender currently do. I see you have the same side clearance problem I'm trying to cure. It doesn't look like we have the same sliders. Mine have the ears fore and aft at the top, like my PD had, for the brace.
__________________
Tom
'93 R100R
'02 F650GS sold)
'93 R100GSPD(sold)
http://frommars.smugmug.com

Martian screwed with this post 02-10-2011 at 06:40 PM
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:04 PM   #15
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!
 
StephenB's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Ontario
Oddometer: 2,046
Now I sent you on a goose chase The pictures are from a 198x R100 that was (ab)used to play in the mud on the TAT ... it was only included to illustrate what will happen! We had to take the fender off to be able to carry on!

Not sure why you don't like high fender and low exhaust:



Admitted, the R100R exhaust looks better "chrome-relieved" showing its real face, a small-ish stainless steel exhaust saving 4.5lbs.

I still don't believe a 19" will work to your personal satisfaction, but you're welcome to prove me wrong .
__________________

Some of the above is fact, some is fiction, some is my personal imagination and some is just simple truth. [me]

... i'm not touring around the world, but neither are most of the guys i see running overloaded spam cans ... [bmwblake]

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
StephenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014