Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 04:28 PM   #31
seriousracer
be a man dodge tree bark

Oddometer: 7,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
Seems like someone back in the day could have made a nice living selling good wiring harnesses for those.
british wiring. then i have i direct source over the pond too...

be a man dodge tree bark!

We’ve said it before, but it bears repeating; the GS handles in ways a two-story building was never meant to.

Taking collections for Faye Butler Training please spare some change.

www.kmotorwerks.com

Remember red and yellow make orange.so to think orange is better means you have to use two steps to get there.
________
seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:02 PM   #32
S2P
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Buy it for what it is too you also, I have a 67 XKE 2+2. We got it when I was 5 years old. It makes me smile every time I go for a ride even after 43 years. Sometimes its a pain in the ass,I spent most of last summer trying to get my clutch bled after the seals went. I have some crap in the bottom of the gas tank and if I go over about 40 miles an hour it runs itself out of fuel. Doesn't matter I'll get it fixed one of these days. We also have a 62 MarkII Saloon,it is in need of some TLC at the moment,but I could have it drivable in a couple hours,just don't have the time.I have heard all my life about what crappy this and that Jags have.Enjoy it and your Uncle will/would be happy you got it.

WR 426
TTR 125
S2P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:47 PM   #33
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2P View Post
Buy it for what it is too you also, I have a 67 XKE 2+2. We got it when I was 5 years old. It makes me smile every time I go for a ride even after 43 years. Sometimes its a pain in the ass,I spent most of last summer trying to get my clutch bled after the seals went. I have some crap in the bottom of the gas tank and if I go over about 40 miles an hour it runs itself out of fuel. Doesn't matter I'll get it fixed one of these days. We also have a 62 MarkII Saloon,it is in need of some TLC at the moment,but I could have it drivable in a couple hours,just don't have the time.I have heard all my life about what crappy this and that Jags have.Enjoy it and your Uncle will/would be happy you got it.
That is what it's all about.
DELTATANGO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:44 AM   #34
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,935
Back in the late 70s I had an antique 9th-grade algebra teacher who liked to tell stories. A brief one was about a bumper sticker on a Jag that said, "But when it runs..."
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:59 AM   #35
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
At one time there was a place in Colorado called JTR, it stood for Jaguars That Run.....they specialized in mid year (70s 80s) Jaguars where they swapped ion a Chevy 350 and a Turbo 350. A buddy had one and it did run!
Old 02-09-2011, 10:23 AM   #36
regal403
vanilla_g0rilla

Oddometer: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
At one time there was a place in Colorado called JTR, it stood for Jaguars That Run.....
There still is that place!
http://www.jagsthatrun.com/
regal403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:26 AM   #37
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal403 View Post
There still is that place!
http://www.jagsthatrun.com/
Cool! I would love to have an XJ8 with a potent 383 stroker motor in it! Shoot, evebn with a 350 and 5 speed!
Old 02-09-2011, 11:40 AM   #38
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,307
hopefully you can work on it yourself, they are money pits. I had a 2+2 '71. the V12 was a blast to drive when running.

It spent a lot of time on a trailer going to the shop though. If not a lot of work has been done on it expect anything gasket and rubber to need attention. treat it like a car with 2 v6's and you will get the idea

awesome cars though, I wanted to do a v8 conversion to make it a true daily driver but didn't have the funds at the time and sold it.
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:22 PM   #39
Carlo Muro
Supercàzzola

Oddometer: 2,040
One of the most complex cars ever.

Peter Egan has written about restoring one (may have been a Series I).

There was a whole series on DIY TV 5 or 6 years ago where a British bloke restored one. Might be able to catch it online. They aren't the easiest to restore.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:33 PM   #40
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,013
This thing belongs to a friend of mine

Kind of pretty to look at. Very difficult to get into and sit in, very uncomfortable and archaic feeling. By the time I get the door closed I just want out.

I understand the investment value due to the irrational emotions of some, but gawd what an awful thing to try and use.

At least you get shitty electrics to deal with!

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:25 PM   #41
Recht
Binge Thinker

Oddometer: 1,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank22 View Post
Great Movie, Great Car
Indeed.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:45 PM   #42
S2P
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal View Post

That looks like a 68 possibly a 69. Can't tell without seeing the headlights.Looks to be in good condition.

WR 426
TTR 125
S2P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:42 AM   #43
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
At one time there was a place in Colorado called JTR, it stood for Jaguars That Run.....they specialized in mid year (70s 80s) Jaguars where they swapped ion a Chevy 350 and a Turbo 350. A buddy had one and it did run!
Jagrolet baby! Jags that run indeed!
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:05 PM   #44
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,169
There was a neighbor of mine, who happened to be a funeral director, that had a new (black of course) '73 XJ6 and a new (black of course) '73 2+2 XKE type V12, (whatever it was called) both automatics. He occasionally let me drive them, and were of course way out my league purchase wise or any other wise. Superb feeling cars, sumptuous, smooth, agile, quick, great brakes - all for the time. Just getting into a Jag on warm spring day, with the inside leather heated up just so, was a olfactory pleasure. When I drove the XJ6 I had to buy a box of Andes mints and just pop them into my mouth and enjoy the ride. This being the 70's era Jags, I didn't see his cars for very much longer. To this day I don't understand how the Brits, what with their other aesthetics, could come up with such a body style, in particular the '67's and earlier
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 02:14 PM   #45
Motornoggin
Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 20,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commuter Boy View Post
Jagrolet baby! Jags that run indeed!

I have a 74' XJ with a 350/350 combo. Mild engine so it isn't real fast, but it does run well and it drives great! The SBC fits better than the original 6cyl and is slightly lighter as well.

It's in sad shape cosmetically, and it needs to be re-wired (imagine that!). It's in decent mechanical condition though.

I would love to rebuild the engine and turn up the wick considerably someday. Make it stupid fast and leave it looking rough. Total sleeper!

My Wyoming has an East infection.

http://motornoggin.smugmug.com
Motornoggin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: