User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-13-2011, 04:46 AM   #46
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
I was looking at XJ6s in the classifieds recently. Damn they are cheap. It's so easy to tell yourself that this would make sense as a daily driver...

€5000 for a decent series II, a bit more to make it run well and you're all set... or not!

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #47
S2P
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
I thought I'd dust this off with a couple pics. Did you ever get the car?

WR 426
TTR 125

S2P screwed with this post 06-10-2012 at 02:02 PM
S2P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #48
vagueout
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,562
Since childhood bikes were my main thing, however growing up i lusted for an E type jaguar. With minimal funds i bought a 62 3.8 model back in '78. Had a healthy engine, the rest was a recently re-sprayed assembly of rust, welded up bits of chassis, every piece of rubber bushing or seal perished and leaking......... you get my drift. In reality it was a massive project beyond my scope of abilities or finances. Sold it at a loss. Later on i had three xj6 sedans all bought on the cheap, you think i'd have learned!!!!!
Old 06-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #49
beachmike1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Had two e types

Back in the mid 1970s e types were about 1500 used for 6's 2500 for v 12's . These were not cheap cars new. I had two over a seven month time span. I cou
D not afford to keep them . They have crap electrics until you go through them..then they are fine. Use dielectric grease on the fittings. They drank ol like a whore uses cheap perfume. Until you nstall Teflon valve guide seal. Then that stops.....for the most part.

The sixes were the most well balanced cars ever.....including the sweet mark two . The real bitch is clutch replacement. Back in the day it was a fourth our job with five hundred in parts. Or basically 1100 at a dealer. 900 at the shop I worked. I was a kid working my way through college at five per hour plus one third labor rates at a local independent shop in SoCal . I bought these a 67 and a 68 both sixes both needing clutches. The whole damned front he and engine have to come out. But put n a Barnett clutch and you never do it again. Fuel mileage. 16 to 18 mpg.. With 3 carbs.the trick to those is kept the oil topped. Modern fuel suck on thes motors....hardened seats are required.

The 4.2 is a nice motor. Easy to get parts. Built basically forever.

The great part of thes cars is you can drive the snot out of them. They are a wrenches dream. They need fiddling but if you have the time..they respond well to tlc. Biggest grips......well once you go through the wiring and ignition..carbs ....fuel system.....and get everything working then just polish drive and enjoy. ..the brakes work well but require a leg. The foot well is small. The coupes are nightmares to get in and out of. The converts are a snap. Step in sit down buckle up..drive.

Get the bitch now.. Fix it drive it.woow women......it is a 3200 lb sex object.

If you want a reliable sports car buy a miata......A new one is about a quick as this jag but not on the top end. It will hadle better but you will get no attention. For what this will cost bringing it up to snuf is about what a nicely options Miata will run. You will be another chump in a chick car in the Mikita but a supremely desired person in the jag.

Also in a jag you have the excuse of being a cad all the time ...why????? Because you drive a ..JAGGGGGG
Old 06-10-2012, 08:38 AM   #50
msells
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
I knew someone in the UK in the late 1980s that had two XKEs - "One is always in the shop, I just trade them out." It will take lots of time and a bunch of money or lots of money and bunch time - for various definitions of lots and bunch. Realize this isn't something you can expect to take care of itself even when "finished" - the 5 hours a month just to keep it up estimate sounds reasonable.

Here's one over on Pelican Parts: $5k + $30k in parts done over I'm assuming a big # of years. The thread seems to cover a lot of the same comments here:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...ml#post6715774

Would I do it again? Hell No!!! I enjoyed the process but never again. Now I have a bunch of old Kawasaki H1 triples I'm fixing up. Easier on the pocketbook.

If you like reading, buy the Peter Egan books since his writing is amusing to read and he talks about his experiences with his XKE a bit.
msells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #51
squiffynimrod
maximum shrinkage

Oddometer: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
Back in the late 70s I had an antique 9th-grade algebra teacher who liked to tell stories. A brief one was about a bumper sticker on a Jag that said, "But when it runs..."
Had an English roomie who repaired Brit cars on the side. We always had interesting cars in the driveway. Lotus Esprit turbo, Jag XK150, Jag saloon car, etc. Favorite was the XKE in British Racing Green, with the 6 cyl. Pulled like a train. But the best part was the bumper sticker- "All the parts falling off this car are of the finest British craftsmanship" and the personalized plate- "E P S". So I ask about the plate as I don't get it. Stood for "English Phallic Symbol".
Old 06-10-2012, 11:55 PM   #52
Cowgirl
Cougar on the prowl

Oddometer: 3,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2P View Post
I thought I'd dust this off with a couple pics. Did you ever get the car?

The e-types are works of art. Back in the 60s my Dad was the president of the Ontario Sports Car Club and one of the guys had a black e-type - gorgeous. Dad had an Austin-Healey 3000. They used to race them at Mossport.
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:30 AM   #53
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,507
I remember when they first came out in 1961, I was a sophomore in HS and made a trip to the dealer in Queens to look at one. I'd seen pictures in the magazines, but still wasn't prepared for how gorgeous they were.

I test drove a used one years later when I was a college student. Beautiful roadster, red with tan interior, guy wanted $1500 for it. I talked to my uncle who had a Mk VII sedan, the one that looks looks a Rolls, and he told me the problems to look for. Low oil pressure, and a loose front end. He said if the car had either one, I couldn't afford to maintain it. Unfortunately, this car had both. I wound up buying a used MB 190SL. Sadly, a lot of people who couldn't afford to maintain them did buy them, and ran them into the ground.

I still get great pleasure seeing an E Type. Let's face it, how many 50+ year old designs still look this modern, and this good? Timeless design, certainly as good, or better, than the Ferraris, at a price that, with a little stretching, the average man could aspire to.

Good luck with yours!

Speedo66 screwed with this post 06-14-2012 at 10:36 AM
Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #54
RockyRaccoon
Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer: 60,947
Riding and driving around in rural Northern California in the last few days, I've seen one of these for sale...

XJS Coupe

and two of these....

All maroon, and at least two of them appeared to be non-working and parked for quite awhile.

“It is a far, far better thing to have a firm anchor in nonsense than to put out on the troubled seas of thought.” -- John Kenneth Galbraith
RockyRaccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:14 AM   #55
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,599
I oned an XJ6 for a while and LOVED the car....it was so nice....and it was the body style pictured above.

If I could find a perfect one I would buy it again.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:19 PM   #56
Bart Jones
BGY 504

Oddometer: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair4360 View Post
.....And best of all, the wiring and electrical bits are from "the prince of darkness" aka Lucas.
Not to worry you can get this on fleabay...

Bart Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:50 PM   #57
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 40,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal View Post
This thing belongs to a friend of mine

Kind of pretty to look at. Very difficult to get into and sit in, very uncomfortable and archaic feeling. By the time I get the door closed I just want out.

I understand the investment value due to the irrational emotions of some, but gawd what an awful thing to try and use.

At least you get shitty electrics to deal with!

Am I the only one that greatly prefers the coupe to the convertible? That is one of my all time favorite cars to look at. Sheer beauty.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:50 AM   #58
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
Am I the only one that greatly prefers the coupe to the convertible? That is one of my all time favorite cars to look at. Sheer beauty.
No, I think they are better too.
I once saw in a magazine an E-type advertised for sale, and it was all spec'd up to go racing...

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:14 AM   #59
redsport
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurgen View Post
am i the only one that greatly prefers the coupe to the convertible? That is one of my all time favorite cars to look at. Sheer beauty.

+2
Old 06-19-2012, 10:21 AM   #60
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 5,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker View Post
I'm still kicking myself from when you could buy them all day long for $5k. 30 years ago.
Same story here. Back then they were considered dogs that wouldn't run without lots of care. But then I coulda done that easy.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: