Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2011, 11:26 AM   #151
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Oddometer: 1,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abomb View Post
Just for info. I fit an XL Shoei but the XL FX-39 is too big for me, just a thought. Going to a L.

BP:
My XL goes in the mail tomorrow. Still looking at the 15th for delivery of white L?
Thanks for that. Can I ask a question? What is your head measurement? Also, lean shaped jawline, or full cheeks?

Estimate is still the week of the 18th for the white Ls.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:31 PM   #152
Abomb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
Thanks for that. Can I ask a question? What is your head measurement? Also, lean shaped jawline, or full cheeks?

Estimate is still the week of the 18th for the white Ls.

BP

My head measurment is 24 1/8, in between L and XL. I have a square muscular jaw line. The cheek pads were perfect on the 39, no way would I be able to chew gum without bitting my cheeks, just sloppy on the overall size, front to back and side to side of my head. I am an oval head shape.

Also the chin strap on the XL is WAY to long making it impossible to get it tight enough. Hoping the Large has a much shorter strap. Yes, I adjusted to its smallest sizing.

The Shoei was a perfect fit, little snug but would break in nicely.

If the large is to tight no biggie since I can mold the inners to fit.

I guess I should have errored on the samller size. Oh well.
Abomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:17 PM   #153
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

AFX FX-39 Fit Review

Sorry for the delay in replying. We looked at this in some detail, and I think have a handle on it.

We checked 7 fit models to do a sizing comparison between the sizes we have in stock. (L, XL, and 2XL). We need to check 10, but it is hard to find folks on short notice, plus, I cannot test any size M wearers because my Ms have not arrived yet. Measured everyone, tested them in multiple helmets, and of course in the FX-39. The goal was to 1. establish a benchmark, 2. get a feel for the AFX fit, 3. become aware fo the specs, and 4. compare 1, 2, and 3. I still need to gather more info, but I want to get something posted up here ASAP.

The very first thing to is set a benchmark for specs: We looked at specs from four brands that I consider benchmarks: Arai, Bell, HJC, Shoei. All four share the exact same specs. Because of this, I consider these for brands and their specs as the industry standard. AFX should be compared to them, not vice versa.

On specs, AFX runs a slightly larger size spec than other helmet manufacturers. The spec for each size is 1 cm larger than a comparable size from another mfg. Please note:

The AFX helmets match their spec chart.
Example: my head measures 24.25". I am an XL in almost every other brand, and squarely in their XL spec. On the AFX, I am in the gray zone between L and XL. I initially got an AFX in size XL, and I thought it felt correct (partially because I had the hots for one and did not have any size Ls). Despite the fact that I should know better, after trying on an L, I probably should have gotten that size instead. It feels a little tight, but will probably pack in. One thing, my hair was quite long when I got it, but am now completely buzzed.

There is a difference in fit, and for our customers it is necessary to put some definition on it. We feel it is NOT a full size and people should NOT upsize +1 (can't say this enough) but instead equates to roughly 1/3 to 1/2 of a size. We came up with a simple model to reach this recommendation, here it is:

Example 1: a Large is 60 - 61 cm, an XL is 62 - 63 cm, and a 2XL is 64 - 65 cm. If we assume the size chart is a meaningful tool, this means the range for an XL is theoretically from the upper border of an L (61 cm) to the lower border of a 2XL (64 cm). So, a 3 cm range; OR:

Example 2: a Large is 60 - 61 cm, an XL is 62 - 63 cm, and a 2XL is 64 - 65 cm. Being more conservative, the range for an XL would be from the MIDPOINT in between sizes (L ends at 61, XL starts at 62, so midpoint is 61.5) to the midpoint in between next two sizes (XL ends at 63, 2XL starts at 64, so midpoint is 63.5). So, a 2 cm range.

Because the spec chart seems to be accurate, and the helmets match it, we can use the specs themselves to assign some sort of quantitative description to the difference in size. So:

Since the difference in spec is 1 cm, and the range is EITHER 2 cm or 3 cm, we consider the helmets to be approximately 1/2 to 1/3 size larger than the industry standard.

Definition needs to be used to exclude some anecdotal fit comments. Everyone on here generally, genuinely, tries to help other people with product info. But, anecdotal feedback is sometimes misleading, and that feedback needs to be identified (and done so politely, not in a way that insults anyone). If there are any examples of people with sizing issues, and those examples do not jibe with the specs, those anecdotes should be ignored.

Edit: Finding that a lot of people who sized up from normal because of the FX-37, OR used a bad benchmark for comparison, or did not measure at all. In these instances, it is common to say the helmet runs large, however, a different process for choosing size would have gotten a different result.

Many riders tend to choose helmets that fit too large
. This is so, so common. It also throws their benchmark off. If they are buying a replacement helmet that has a similar or smaller spec, they likely will never notice. On this AFX helmet, if their benchmark size is too large, this problem will be exacerbated.

We are apprehensive about making fitment statements that may be misinterpreted somehow. Rule #s 1 and 2 for companies selling gear online regarding fit is "post up the manufacturer's fit charts", and "say little else". To be clear, we do not assume responsibility for correct fit, as their are too many variables involved. But we do want to offer common sense information and feedback to folks when possible. In this case, there are sizing characteristics that should be noted, and we have tried to. But I worry that over time, they will morph into something completely different that what we have tried to say.

One point that needs to be 100% crystal clear: this is a SIZING discussion, NOT a fit discussion. The FX-37 had a fit issue (shape), this helmet fits great. I also want to reiterate people should NOT just order 1 size smaller (though I know it will happen).

I apologize for the lengthy reply, and admittedly less than polished nature of the response. I do feel that we have a good handle on FX-39 fit, and can speak intelligently to our customers about it. I also feel we are extending our best service to our customers.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR

Brtp4 screwed with this post 04-12-2011 at 07:18 AM
Old 04-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #154
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Hi Ed. For my reference, what is your head measurement? Also, pls PM me your order #.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 04-11-2011, 07:21 PM   #155
nonamehorse
Concrete Jungle

Oddometer: 119
Just got home to find my Silver L waiting-excellent fast service! Great quality helmet for the price, unfortunately the L is too big in this model for me. Way loose on the head and easily maxed out the ratchet adjuster strap. I will be swapping for a Med. Once again, great looking helmet and quality is definitely a step up from the previous model.
nonamehorse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:23 PM   #156
nonamehorse
Concrete Jungle

Oddometer: 119
FYI - I sized up to a large in the new AFX-39 after owning an AFX-37 in medium. The AFX-37 Med has a different narrower shape and applied too much pressure on my forehead. Thought I'd solve this by going to the Large in the AFX-39, but the new model is rounder, so the large is too big. Best to stick with medium, my correct size by the posted sizing chart. Hope this helps anyone on the sizing fence! ...and thanks again BP!
nonamehorse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:31 PM   #157
jonmorehouse
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
got mine today, great looking helmet

buuut... holy cheek pads! i look like a chipmunk with a vise around his head. and that's rocking the xxl, must have lots of brains or rocks or air or something in there.

my nose also touches the top lip of the screen shield...(edit: breath-box. and it can be trimmed. that's obvious now)

i'm going to re-evaluate it when i'm not so tired but it doesn't look good for me and afx...

EDIT: should have read more of the thread and kept quiet until i had something constructive to add. i will measure my head and edit with data.

question: do somewhat smooshed cheeks hurt after a while or do the cheekpads give in a little over time? my current hjc symax2 xxl is the only helmet i've ever spent alot of time in, so i am self-rated as new to helmet-shopping.

BP: thanks again for excellent attentive service. you're going well out of your way to ensure our satisfaction and i look forward to recommending your business.

jonmorehouse screwed with this post 04-12-2011 at 06:44 PM
jonmorehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:26 PM   #158
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Jon, sent you a PM.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 04-12-2011, 07:08 PM   #159
indykwak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
BP, thanks for the call today to discuss fit. Can't wait to try the helmet on. I'll share my experience with everyone.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:54 PM   #160
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmorehouse View Post
got mine today, great looking helmet

buuut... holy cheek pads! i look like a chipmunk with a vise around his head. and that's rocking the xxl, must have lots of brains or rocks or air or something in there.

my nose also touches the top lip of the screen shield...(edit: breath-box. and it can be trimmed. that's obvious now)

i'm going to re-evaluate it when i'm not so tired but it doesn't look good for me and afx...

EDIT: should have read more of the thread and kept quiet until i had something constructive to add. i will measure my head and edit with data.

question: do somewhat smooshed cheeks hurt after a while or do the cheekpads give in a little over time? my current hjc symax2 xxl is the only helmet i've ever spent alot of time in, so i am self-rated as new to helmet-shopping.

BP: thanks again for excellent attentive service. you're going well out of your way to ensure our satisfaction and i look forward to recommending your business.
Jon, I felt the same way in the XL and took the cheek pads out and left them on the table smashed flat under a bag of pellets. I have only worn it once since then but the cheeks are still tighter than I would like. Drives my cheeks into my teeth. I think I am destined to get the XXL cheek pads. I hope that takes care of it. If not I may have to go Ginsu medieval on it
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:22 PM   #161
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,408
I have the Silver one in XXL now, it has met my initial expectations. My in the house review:

I like the solids simple AFX logos. The vent controls could be bigger, it appears the rear vents always stay open some when closed? I hope the helmet is dry in the rain. The fit and finish is good. No distortions while wearing it inside, the shield could use a cracked open or vent position. At least a solid notch there, it may not matter though. Lots of room for glasses etc. Lots of room for my big ears, generous pockets for speakers or my usual ER6i ear phones.

The fit out of the box seems to be a true long oval.

I'll ride with it tomorrow for a few hours and see if that holds, but it is by far oval shaped. I have a 64 mm long oval head. I do not feel any discomfort in the forehead, just a light squeeze across my head... side to side which is going to probably go away with use.

Reminds me of the Shark RSI fit in XL except it has more cheek room. The cheek pads fit my full cheeks a bit snug and I expect them to break in nicely. I would say these run true to size and the AFX size chart is accurate for a round face. I think the XXL is right for me, thicker cheek pads would not work and I think after break in the fit will be just snug every where else the way I like my MX style helmets.

The liner is smooth/soft to the touch, the chin strap is long and I have it fully tightened while using all but two or so notches on the quick release. The buckle works good but, the strap should be shortened about 60% since the quick release has a good range by its self. No biggie, easy to cut it off and melt the end. The visor looks like it will do some thing, I can see about 2" with it in the low position. Mine came loose, I'll probably need to tighten it down in the low position, maybe some thread locker on the plastic center screw? I can see it vibrating loose...

I can tell already that the AFX DS39 is a fine long oval DS helmet for the price. The initial impression is positive to me, I'm usually disappointed in cheap helmets, this one exceeds expectations in feel and looks. I think it looks better in person and I expect it to be just perfect for my DR650 travels. I should be on a 150 mile DS solo ride tomorrow down to Mt. Cheaha. About 50% dirt roads and 50% paved twisties...

Stay tuned for an actual ride report...

Thanks to Atomic Moto for the introduction to an affordable DS helmet that actually fits my American head. I probably would have never tried the 39 via the internet if it wasn't for this thread. Yes, it actually fits.

PS: the rear top vents on my example are not closing right. With all the venting I doubt it will matter much. It looks like the little rear facing vents wouldn't do much closed anyway with the larger ones all around. I guess the metal screen in the vent openings will help keep the water and debris out. I count 11 vents, two at the cheeks and four on the back are open all the time.. So it should flow some air by the looks of it! I doubt it will fog much with the air flow... looking foreward to my test ride tomorrow..

sagedrifter screwed with this post 04-13-2011 at 03:24 PM
sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:22 PM   #162
jonmorehouse
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
walked around the house wearing it a bit, and discussed it at work with a fellow motorcyclist (who's had many helmets) and decided to take the tags off, i'll make it mine one way or the other.

next problem,

it accentuates my crooked nose! damn you symetry...
jonmorehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:35 PM   #163
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,408
I wore mine a little bit today too. No hot spots....

How dark is the tinted shield? Any out yet???

The Scott Voltage goggles fit with the breath guard. My nose just clears it too. I adjusted the chin strap and cut off the extra. The release with the little pull tab works well, easy to operate. I do have a Nolan so, I'm accustomed to a non d-ring helmet... I like the chin strap over all, it does feel like its farther back than my other helmets but, it is comfortable and well padded.

Its nice to be surprised by something for a change. Testing continues... this thing gives me a reason to go riding.
sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:50 PM   #164
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

AFX FX-39 Review on Web Bike World

WebBikeWorld just published their review of the FX-39, quite positive.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...met/afx-fx-39/

I know it is hard to take a retailer's product endorsement as truthful, but these really are a great helmet. Forget "for the price", they are a category killer.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR

Brtp4 screwed with this post 04-14-2011 at 01:02 PM
Old 04-14-2011, 03:09 PM   #165
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
WebBikeWorld just published their review of the FX-39, quite positive.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...met/afx-fx-39/

I know it is hard to take a retailer's product endorsement as truthful, but these really are a great helmet. Forget "for the price", they are a category killer.

BP
Certainly a massively fair and balance evaluation of the product.
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote