Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2011, 09:29 PM   #211
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,413
My XXL has large ear pockets, almost huge. My ears don't touch the liner much at all. Lots of room for speakers.... though I do prefer ear plugs. Some times I use the ER6i ear buds... I need to protect what hearing I have left!
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #212
darkshadow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
Shipment #5 arrived to the vendor today. Most all Strike graphics except some XXLs. Most all SKUs except hi viz yellow, shields, and liner parts are now in.

Black S
Black M
Black L
Black XL
Black 2XL

Pearl White S

Pearl White M
Pearl White L
Pearl White XL

Matte Black S

Matte Black M

Matte Black L

Matte Black XL
Matte Black XXL

Silver S
Silver M
Silver L
Silver XL
Silver XXL

Red Strike S
Red Strike M
Red Strike L
Red Strike XL

Blue Strike L

White Strike XS
White Strike S
White Strike M
White Strike L
White Strike XL
White Strike XXL

Silver Strike XS
Silver Strike S
Silver Strike M
Silver Strike L
Silver Strike XL

Black Strike S
Black Strike M
Black Strike L
Black Strike XL

Urban Camo S
Urban Camo M
Urban Camo L
Urban Camo XL
Urban Camo XXL

For people looking for Hi viz yellow, they have been delayed a fair amount. Originally scheduled for 1st/2nd week of May, they are now arriving 1st / 2nd week of JUNE. Shields and parts also.

Thanks.

BP

WHOOOHOOOO

When can I expect my silver strike?
darkshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:20 PM   #213
robotsthrowingrocks
pray for snow

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagedrifter View Post
My XXL has large ear pockets, almost huge. My ears don't touch the liner much at all. Lots of room for speakers.... though I do prefer ear plugs. Some times I use the ER6i ear buds... I need to protect what hearing I have left!
I should clarify. The ear pockets are quite large, but not as deep as I expected.

I prefer to wear ear buds or plugs as well; Those speakers are for my bluetooth bike-to-bike headset. It might be the best purchase I've made for riding with a partner.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:27 PM   #214
Brtp4
Do what you love.

Oddometer: 1,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshadow View Post
WHOOOHOOOO

When can I expect my silver strike?
Should hit our place tomorrow. Will ship it out same day.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:01 PM   #215
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,265
Got mine today

I have a hard time finding a helmet that fits. Up until now, nothing but an Arai has fit my head worth a darn. After talking with Brian on the phone, I decided to give the AFX FX-39 a try. I wear an XL Arai and an XXL in anything else. Going with the website measurments, I was at the bottom end of the XL size and went with that. It arrived today and I wore it for around 10 minutes while watching TV. It's the best fitting helmet I've ever had other than an Arai and I think it's going to work. I'll ride this weekend to give it a better test.

Great service btw. He took plenty of time on the phone and then after I ordered, I had the helmet (and a new pair of Klim Dakar pants) in 2 days.
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:47 AM   #216
Stegerman
MotoOCD sufferer

Oddometer: 584
Anyone have this helmet and have an Arai XD3? I obviously know there will be some difference (for the price difference there better be, or Arai is in trouble), but I have 2 main questions.

1) Is the visor as utilitarian as the XD3? That is one of the things I love about my XD3 is the visor comes down low enough it actually blocks out the sun most of the time eliminating the need for sunglasses.

2) How's the helmet at hi-way speeds? Visor vibration, noise, face shield seal/vibration?

I am one of "those" riders who likes his expensive stuff to last so I am considering this helmet for my daily commuter (more wear and tear, banging around, nicks scratches, etc...) and using my XD3 for longer trips, true rides, etc... (stays on my head, less chance of scratches, nicks, etc..)

formally trained to screw with people's minds..
Stegerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:16 PM   #217
Abomb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stegerman View Post
Anyone have this helmet and have an Arai XD3? I obviously know there will be some difference (for the price difference there better be, or Arai is in trouble), but I have 2 main questions.

1) Is the visor as utilitarian as the XD3? That is one of the things I love about my XD3 is the visor comes down low enough it actually blocks out the sun most of the time eliminating the need for sunglasses.
I have close to 350 miles on mine so far. Mix of dirt, in town and freeway miles. The visor could be 3/8 to 1/2 in. longer, but it does a decent job of blotting out the sun.
2) How's the helmet at hi-way speeds? Visor vibration, noise, face shield seal/vibration?
I have been up to 90mph in mine. It is noisy without ear plugs at anyting over 50mph, not noisier than any other though. No vibrations from the visor for me. My face shield seals well and has no vibs as well. I have modified my windscreen to allow full flowing air onto me, I hated the buffeting I was getting from it.

I am one of "those" riders who likes his expensive stuff to last so I am considering this helmet for my daily commuter (more wear and tear, banging around, nicks scratches, etc...) and using my XD3 for longer trips, true rides, etc... (stays on my head, less chance of scratches, nicks, etc..)
SO far I can only find 4 issues with this helmet.
1: VIsor could be a touch longer, not sure if that will make it pull though.
2: The chin strap needs reworked, sits a little far back and is stupid long.
3: The overall shape of the helmet seems huge, I am in a large. The shell is just very large compared to other helmets.
4: A chin curtain would be freaking money!

There is virtually no visor lift, rather the largeness of the shell seems to make the helmet push straight back in the wind. Nothing major, just different. Again, I have modded my windscreen on my bike, F650, so I am in the full flow of air. If you have a full screen none of these issues will matter. Thing vents well. We have been really cool up here so we will se how it goes this summer.

Great helmet otherwise. I wish they would put more R&D into it and refine it some more. I think they could easily charge another $50 with some refinements and just kill all other DS helmets.

It is a great fitting helmet for me as I have no hotspots or other issues, I just wish the cheek pads would break in already. This aint no gum chewers helmet.

Edit: I have only about 200 miles in a borrowed XD3 to compare and like the FX 39 a ton better, less lift and lighter on the pocket book.
Abomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:15 PM   #218
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 2,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotsthrowingrocks View Post
My visor doesn't snap shut like many helmets do, but rather slides past the gaskets when you apply pressure. Again, not a problem, an observation.

I can't tell if it seals 100% until I go for a ride. It seems to have a pretty good seal though.

Not as much ear space as I'd hoped for. No way speakers are going in there. I don't know if I have giant ears, or if this particular size has less room than others. In the ear space it goes outer shell>foam>flat plastic covering. I'm guessing this helps keep the noise down and the structural integrity up. Some of my other helmets have no had foam and such over the ear "hole" area, leaving more room for speakers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stegerman View Post
My shield seems to seal just fine. It's easy to open and close and I don't notice any wind noise caused by a bad seal. I put on my goggles and the shield still closes just fine - obviously not fully sealed but good enough for those times I need it.

The lack of ear pockets was a real problem for me. My ears pushed against the side of the helmet and all the outside noise was transmitted right into my head . Pulled out my Leatherman and dug out about half the styrofoam, creating an ear pocket with some depth (hey, it's a $100 helmet, what could I lose?). Gone is all the outside noise and now I hear just a light wind noise at highway speeds.

If my visor was fully extended, at highway speed there was a very annoying low frequency buzz. I stuck a small piece of Dynomat to the underside of the visor and now the buzz in gone. It just needed a little something to dampen the vibration.

It's a GREAT helmet for the price and I would definitely buy another one .
Old 05-09-2011, 09:26 PM   #219
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,265
Quote:

I've had an Arai XD (don't know if it's a "3" I've had it for probably 6 or 7 years) and just got my AFX39. Just one road ride with it so far. The shield is long enough to block sun but I don't know if it's a big as the XD.

Quote:
Definitely much louder but I wear earplugs for any ride more than about 10 minutes at freeway speeds so that's not a big issue for me. Face shield sealed well and no weird vibrations. I turned to look over my shoulder at probably 65 mph and there was less pulling than the XD.

A couple issues:

1)I like to ride with sunglasses and they are a bitch to get on, at least while it's new. I'm hoping that after some time wearing sunglasses, the pads will form a pocket for the sunglasses.

2) The buckle/quick connect sucks. Easy to use but way too thick. Looking down at my feet, I can feel the buckle being pushed into my chest. During a crash, I could see where it could really be driven into the collarbone. I wear a Leatt much of the time which will solve that issue though.

For $300 less than an Arai, I can live with the problems listed above.
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:43 PM   #220
foxbrook
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Go figure I got one in November and now they release a new model, but that's my luck.
I take a L in a HJC so I ordered a L but it's a bit tight, hoping it will break in a bit and get rid of my chipmunk cheeks.
Visor doesn't close all the way but it seems to seal it just doesn't look closed.
I ordered a medium tint visor with the helmet and I ended up with 2 clear shields I'm sure of it. The seller argued this fact and told me the medium tint were almost clear and there was not much of a difference so I ordered a dark tint a few weeks ago and it's much better. (now have 3 visors but they are cheap)
Didn't get my helmet from these guys but just wanted to add my 2 cents. Good quality for the price.

foxbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #221
poondangle
Slow

Oddometer: 1,256
I just got mine today. I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I did want to make a few comments. I rode about 75 miles to try it out.

1. I had read some comments that AFX helmets run big, but I found the opposite to be true. I think the medium is a bit on the small side. Nothing to return or complain about, but the chipmunk cheeks are pretty bad.

2. I second what everyone is saying about the chinstrap. It is way too long and a bit far back.

3. I think the helmet is relatively quiet, with little to no vibration from the peak. I would even say it is quieter than my HJC IS Max. That's a noisey helmet with loads of rattles and vibration from the sun visor

4. I also found it hard to wear with sunglasses. I'm not a fan of a tinted visor, so I'm hoping the pads will wear in a bit for sunglasses. Otherwise, I have an excellent excuse to go get some new tinted goggles.

I would recommend this helmet to anyone.
poondangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:58 PM   #222
dirtdadx
Noob ad Infinitum

Oddometer: 483
The ratchet looks nice. Is there a way to use that with a helmet lock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
Here you are:

Hope that helps.

BP
dirtdadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:28 PM   #223
Crapflinger
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapflinger View Post
sweet. helmet waiting for me at the house when i got home. really nice...

it's a little tight in the cheeks, and it's a little funky getting my glasses on once the thing is on but it doesn't seem to be pinching. my head is 23" which is right under the limit on the M so surely the foam will compress a bit after wearing it....doesn't feel uncomfortable just sitting there though
just quoting this for reference...kind of forgot to get back to this thread.

the day after the helmet came in me and my buddy did a whole day of off road riding. i was in the helmet for 7+ hours straight and experienced NO cranial preassure (squeezing the brains out of my skull)....at the end of the day the cheek pads did make my face hurt...almost like i had been smiling/laughing too much (you know the feeling). if you've got fat cheeks you may want to see about getting some smaller cheek pads (or not wearing the helmet for 7+ hours straight)

other than that, the helmet never got too hot, the shield never fogged up, and it never lifted off my head. the quick release strap is AWESOME
Crapflinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:13 PM   #224
darkshadow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
I also love the quick release strap.

Been wearing the helmet now for about a week while commuting. Only twenty minutes at a time.
Today took it out for a better test...about 150 miles.

Some of you FF are picky bastards

other posted complaints
*too long of a strap.....whoopty do. tuck it under or cut it.
*chipmunk cheeks.......barely more than my Shoei RF1000
*noisy.......................no shit, bigger chin opening area. Its not that bad. problem solved with earplugs.
*rattles......................none to speak of.
*sunglasses hard to put on............wow, its takes an extra second to squeeze em on. once on they fit great.

I have no complaints.
I can't beleive its so cheap.

darkshadow screwed with this post 05-20-2011 at 05:22 PM
darkshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:58 PM   #225
Geonik
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshadow View Post
I also love the quick release strap.

Been wearing the helmet now for about a week while commuting. Only twenty minutes at a time.
Today took it out for a better test...about 150 miles.

Some of you FF are picky bastards

other posted complaints
*too long of a strap.....whoopty do. tuck it under or cut it.
*chipmunk cheeks.......barely more than my Shoei RF1000
*noisy.......................no shit, bigger chin opening area. Its not that bad. problem solved with earplugs.
*rattles......................none to speak of.
*sunglasses hard to put on............wow, its takes an extra second to squeeze em on. once on they fit great.

I have no complaints.
I can't beleive its so cheap.
I could not agree more. I bought a pearl white medium via e-bay and i'm tottaly impressed. The quality of construction is more than acceptable for this price range.My xr1100 produces a lot more noise than the AFX does (i ride a v-strom with the Givi screen in the higest position and i'm 1.90cm tall).
I know , tottaly different helmets, but i was expecting the AFX to be extremely noisy and instead i was in for a positive surprise. I don't even have to wear ear plugs.
The fit is quite good, no pressure points, although the liner could be a bit more plush. The eyeport provides excelent visibility and the quick release chin strap works like a charm, even with my gloves on.The beak blocks the sun keeping my face cool on hot sunny days and the venting is more than adequate.
I use it for my everyday commute , no offroad riding and i'm tottaly satisfied.
Geonik is offline   Reply With Quote