User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2011, 01:53 PM   #376
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,388
Thumb

My shield is very weak now. I guess I need to tighten screws or something...

The liner has held up fine, I have around 10,000 miles of hard DS use on it. Other than the loose shield mech, its been a good helmet. I used it all summer almost daily while going to work.

Its noisy because of the air flow, the large opening at the chin, and its far too open for a true cold weather lid. The good air flow got me through the summer so much better than wearing a regular street full face. I like riding on pavement with it open using sun glasses. Goggles for the dirt and a closed shield for high speed and rain. If you go from pavement to dirt roads back to pavement and maybe a trail or two mixed with out stopping, the helmet may work for you.

Its a deal considering how well it fits an oval head while being a DS helmet that actually works ok when used by a dual sport rider. Its a compromise, just like a DS bike.
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:12 PM   #377
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,712
brtp4, is the "yellow" on your website the Hi Viz?
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:37 PM   #378
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Oddometer: 1,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog View Post
brtp4, is the "yellow" on your website the Hi Viz?
Yes. AFX calls it hi-viz, but it is not as bright as typical HV and a few have complained.

The Fly is true hi viz, but did have some fading issues on the 1st production. They seem to be past that.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:52 PM   #379
Mr. Fisherman
FTW! FIT! FIN! FYYFF

Oddometer: 10,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post
Hey Brian, Did you ever get info on the sun visor?

How about replacement shields?

Any mirrored options?
bump...

Maybe I should just call...
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:58 PM   #380
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post
bump...

Maybe I should just call...
Sorry Mister Fisherman. We do have mirrored shield in stock. AFA the visors, they are coming but I do not think they have arrived. I have not checked in a few weeks, but I need to, will this week.

PM me your phone and I will call you.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 12-26-2011, 10:56 PM   #381
the venturer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
Hi Venturer. Merry Christmas.

There are a couple other diffs, the AFX has a quick release and comes with the side covers.

At 57 cm, you should be an S in the AFX and probably an M in the Fly. FWIW I hav ean Airoh Stelt size XL, and I wear an L AFX and an XL Fly.

Also, in case you did not know, we have these on sale bigtime for the Holidays...few days left!

AFX FX-39 Sale

BP
Thx mate; Will be evaluating the offer. Be well.
the venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:24 PM   #382
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Oddometer: 6,605
I asked in one of the other threads, but what goggles, brand/model, fit inside the opening of this helmet???
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:36 PM   #383
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,388
Question Need some pointers...

Well, I took my shield off too see why it was so loose, it was cracked on both sides where the notches engage the pin. Thats a first for me, never broke a shield before. So, it lasted about 12,000 miles. I was hard on it though, it was my work helmet while I was doing bike messenger work. It was well used.

So.... I better get a replacement. Can some one tell me if the reflective one is indeed lighter than the dark smoke? I've read that the light smoke is almost clear. Is that true? I'm not riding the bike for work now so, I was thinking a darker one would be better for my mostly daylight rides now.

Any thoughts on the mirror verses the dark smoke. I liked the mirror shields, but the ones I have are really dark. How dark is the AFX mirror?
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:36 PM   #384
B.C.Biker
mighty fine

Oddometer: 614
Was hoping to take advantage of the helmet sale. I live in Canada and the check out won't let me enter the province ( only states ) after entering the country. Some thing I need to learn or do you not ship the helmets out side the USA ?
Old 12-30-2011, 02:22 PM   #385
B.C.Biker
mighty fine

Oddometer: 614
Tried it again today. Went through the order process a couple times , beat the table with a fist and swore a bit. It worked ! Now just need the snow to melt!
Old 12-30-2011, 03:37 PM   #386
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
I asked in one of the other threads, but what goggles, brand/model, fit inside the opening of this helmet???
DZ73, that is a tough one, it varies based on the shell size and the shape of the wearer's face. The small shell sizes (XS, S, M) are really tough. Breath guard MUST be removed and the frame should be small. I wear a large shell (size L) and I can fit my ProGrips and my Smith OTGs in but it is tricky to get them in place. The Smiths ironically fit better, I think because they are deeper. My gut tells me that a kids goggle is the best solution, I have worn my kids goggles skiing, don't see why they would not work here. Hopefully some others can add to this.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 12-30-2011, 03:42 PM   #387
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagedrifter View Post
Well, I took my shield off too see why it was so loose, it was cracked on both sides where the notches engage the pin. Thats a first for me, never broke a shield before. So, it lasted about 12,000 miles. I was hard on it though, it was my work helmet while I was doing bike messenger work. It was well used.

So.... I better get a replacement. Can some one tell me if the reflective one is indeed lighter than the dark smoke? I've read that the light smoke is almost clear. Is that true? I'm not riding the bike for work now so, I was thinking a darker one would be better for my mostly daylight rides now.

Any thoughts on the mirror verses the dark smoke. I liked the mirror shields, but the ones I have are really dark. How dark is the AFX mirror?
Sage, the tinting of the mirror is between the two smokes for darkness. Light smokes are pretty light. I like my dark tint.

Hope that helps!!

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 12-30-2011, 03:49 PM   #388
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,712
I am thinking of moving to the 39 from a 37. Is the opening the same size?
I have never had an issue with my goggles on the 37 and it would probably be a deal breaker if I had to worry about goggles fitting the 39.
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:49 PM   #389
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.C.Biker View Post
Tried it again today. Went through the order process a couple times , beat the table with a fist and swore a bit. It worked ! Now just need the snow to melt!
Thanks CH, much appreciated.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 12-30-2011, 03:58 PM   #390
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog View Post
I am thinking of moving to the 39 from a 37. Is the opening the same size?
I have never had an issue with my goggles on the 37 and it would probably be a deal breaker if I had to worry about goggles fitting the 39.
Rog, the opening is bigger on the 37 (old) than it is on the 39 (new).

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR