Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #481
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Oddometer: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r View Post
Yes.. this is why you need the Chin Curtain.. I use one on both my Shoei and Scorpion.. a must have for me. You could probably rig one up pretty easily.. which is something I may have to do since they aren't going to be available until July
I have rigged up a temporary fix... its a bit crude though. You mentioned the chin curtain, is this a direct reference to an AFX accessory or a general reference to whatever device someone can scavage off of some other helmet?

You also mentioned July..Please elaborate.

Forgive me if the info is in the thread. I looked but couldnt find anything relating to my issue with the helmet.

Thx for the info.
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:56 PM   #482
Happycamper
Have bikes, will travel

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by fattires View Post
After having my helmet for quite a while now I am still mostly satisfied with it except for one problem. The face shield will not stay shut all the way and when I turn my head it opens about 1/2 an inch. It is really driving me crazy, anyone else had this issue?
That hasn't happened to me. Have you tried removing and reinstalling the shield?

2007 G650 Xchallenge
2009 F800GS
Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #483
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by fattires View Post
After having my helmet for quite a while now I am still mostly satisfied with it except for one problem. The face shield will not stay shut all the way and when I turn my head it opens about 1/2 an inch. It is really driving me crazy, anyone else had this issue?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycamper View Post
That hasn't happened to me. Have you tried removing and reinstalling the shield?

This worked for me.
Mr. Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:59 AM   #484
Solstice0000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
so far so good except...

the AFX 39DS is a fine helmet with a comfortable and fairly plush grey padding inside the helmet - especially for its price point. However, the one complaint I have is that the black net-like padding at the base of the helmet is VERY scratchy and sand-paper like on my cheeks and is a REAL pain every time I put on and take off the 39DS. Hopefully they can correct this on an otherwise great piece of kit.
Solstice0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #485
M.A.G.
I heart Penalties

Oddometer: 1,010
Shield

Are there additional face shields available in orange or yellow?
M.A.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:04 PM   #486
bash3r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,692
Initial Thoughts....

I've been wearing a Shoei Hornet Large.. so based on sizing chart and feedback, I ordered a Medium FX-39... got it quickly from Atomic Moto.. unboxed it and put it on.. what I noticed immediately is the mouthguard is very close to your nose, infact the fog shield was hitting my nose.. and I'm not italian with a big ole schnash either.. lol. After taking it of it about ripped my ears off.. so I got an RMA and going with a Large... Quality looks above par for the price of the helmet. Its no Shoei or Arai.. but its will probably do the job nicely, given a little less comfort that the more expensive.. Hopefully the Large will be a nice fit.

Has anyone ran a Sena headset on a FX-39 yet.. is there enough room for the speakers or are in-ears a must?

I'll review the helmet more once I got the replacement and get a few rides in it...

My ADV Website | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #487
Skyclad
Original Bastard

Oddometer: 5,346
I have a Scala Cardo G4. The only problem that I have is the thickness along the base of the shell. It will fit on there, but not easily, and it never feels as secure as I would like. Speakers fit easily in the ear pockets.
Bald Eagle Bastard
The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
Skyclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #488
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Oddometer: 1,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r View Post
I've been wearing a Shoei Hornet Large.. so based on sizing chart and feedback, I ordered a Medium FX-39... got it quickly from Atomic Moto.. unboxed it and put it on.. what I noticed immediately is the mouthguard is very close to your nose, infact the fog shield was hitting my nose.. and I'm not italian with a big ole schnash either.. lol. After taking it of it about ripped my ears off.. so I got an RMA and going with a Large... Quality looks above par for the price of the helmet. Its no Shoei or Arai.. but its will probably do the job nicely, given a little less comfort that the more expensive.. Hopefully the Large will be a nice fit.

Has anyone ran a Sena headset on a FX-39 yet.. is there enough room for the speakers or are in-ears a must?

I'll review the helmet more once I got the replacement and get a few rides in it...

BA, I think you may need the large Fly, as it is the large shell mold. Long story, easier explained than typed. Called and left you a VM today, we should speak briefly tomorrow.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #489
bash3r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
BA, I think you may need the large Fly, as it is the large shell mold. Long story, easier explained than typed. Called and left you a VM today, we should speak briefly tomorrow.

BP
Sounds good BP.. I'll give you a ring tomorrow! Keep up the great work!

My ADV Website | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #490
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.G. View Post
Are there additional face shields available in orange or yellow?
No, those are not available, sorry.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 03-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #491
Mikemm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Question

how about replacement liners, are they available yet?

Mikemm screwed with this post 03-22-2012 at 05:43 AM
Mikemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #492
preacherman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
I just got one and it fits great except the plastic nose shield on the face guard is closer to my nose than my dirt bike helmet. Is this normal for a "road" type helmet? What does the plastic nose piece do?
Old 03-21-2012, 08:35 PM   #493
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by preacherman View Post
I just got one and it fits great except the plastic nose shield on the face guard is closer to my nose than my dirt bike helmet. Is this normal for a "road" type helmet? What does the plastic nose piece do?
Its a breath guard, it doesn't do much. If it bothers you, remove it.

I though about removing mine, but after the helmet liner broke in I ended up having enough room to clear it.
sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:43 PM   #494
basalt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I just got one of these today. It is my first "street" helmet of any sorts. My initial impressions were a little disappointing, but seems spot on with everyone else's observations. Chin bar rubbed through the helmet bag, breath/roost guard touched my nose, SLIGHT scuffs on back of helmet, liner feels cheap and mooves around, cheek pads too soft, chin strap needs to made just about as short as possible.

I have Bell and HJC helmets in the same price range for my wife and daughter and I would put the quality of this helmet the same as those. I was expecting much better based on the reviews. My current helmet is a One Ind. Kombat which is similarly priced, but hands down better fit, finish, and quality all around which leads a little to my disappointment in this helmet. My current helmet is a XL, very snug but super comfortable. My head measures 62+cm and the XL FX-39 almost feels too big.

My biggest complaint which I haven't heard anyone else mention is, my ears touch the hard plastic liner in the ear openings. I find this incredibly annoying, and after hours of riding I think it will start to hurt. Is mine missing a padded liner in there or are they all like this?

If I can get over or somehow fix the ear thing I think I will really like the helmet. I've just been spoiled by my ONE Ind. helmet.

basalt screwed with this post 03-22-2012 at 10:26 AM
basalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #495
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemm View Post
how about replacement liners, are they available yet?
Which size?

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR