ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #481
pfdskipper
Westside Trash
 
pfdskipper's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Litchfield Park, Az
Oddometer: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r View Post
Yes.. this is why you need the Chin Curtain.. I use one on both my Shoei and Scorpion.. a must have for me. You could probably rig one up pretty easily.. which is something I may have to do since they aren't going to be available until July
I have rigged up a temporary fix... its a bit crude though. You mentioned the chin curtain, is this a direct reference to an AFX accessory or a general reference to whatever device someone can scavage off of some other helmet?

You also mentioned July..Please elaborate.

Forgive me if the info is in the thread. I looked but couldnt find anything relating to my issue with the helmet.

Thx for the info.
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:56 PM   #482
Happycamper
Have bikes, will travel
 
Happycamper's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Peoples Republic of Cambridge MA
Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by fattires View Post
After having my helmet for quite a while now I am still mostly satisfied with it except for one problem. The face shield will not stay shut all the way and when I turn my head it opens about 1/2 an inch. It is really driving me crazy, anyone else had this issue?
That hasn't happened to me. Have you tried removing and reinstalling the shield?
__________________
Happycamper

2007 G650 Xchallenge
2009 F800GS
Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #483
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!
 
Mr. Fisherman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Packing the bus!
Oddometer: 10,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by fattires View Post
After having my helmet for quite a while now I am still mostly satisfied with it except for one problem. The face shield will not stay shut all the way and when I turn my head it opens about 1/2 an inch. It is really driving me crazy, anyone else had this issue?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycamper View Post
That hasn't happened to me. Have you tried removing and reinstalling the shield?

This worked for me.
Mr. Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:59 AM   #484
Solstice0000
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Solstice0000's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Singapore
Oddometer: 138
so far so good except...

the AFX 39DS is a fine helmet with a comfortable and fairly plush grey padding inside the helmet - especially for its price point. However, the one complaint I have is that the black net-like padding at the base of the helmet is VERY scratchy and sand-paper like on my cheeks and is a REAL pain every time I put on and take off the 39DS. Hopefully they can correct this on an otherwise great piece of kit.
Solstice0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #485
M.A.G.
I heart Penalties
 
M.A.G.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: George-uh.
Oddometer: 1,010
Shield

Are there additional face shields available in orange or yellow?
M.A.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:04 PM   #486
bash3r
Beastly Adventurer
 
bash3r's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Wentzville, MO
Oddometer: 1,692
Initial Thoughts....

I've been wearing a Shoei Hornet Large.. so based on sizing chart and feedback, I ordered a Medium FX-39... got it quickly from Atomic Moto.. unboxed it and put it on.. what I noticed immediately is the mouthguard is very close to your nose, infact the fog shield was hitting my nose.. and I'm not italian with a big ole schnash either.. lol. After taking it of it about ripped my ears off.. so I got an RMA and going with a Large... Quality looks above par for the price of the helmet. Its no Shoei or Arai.. but its will probably do the job nicely, given a little less comfort that the more expensive.. Hopefully the Large will be a nice fit.

Has anyone ran a Sena headset on a FX-39 yet.. is there enough room for the speakers or are in-ears a must?

I'll review the helmet more once I got the replacement and get a few rides in it...

__________________
08' Yamaha WR250R
09' Yamaha WR250F

My ADV Website | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #487
Skyclad
Original Bastard
 
Skyclad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Moran Nation, confused as a baby in a topless bar
Oddometer: 5,346
I have a Scala Cardo G4. The only problem that I have is the thickness along the base of the shell. It will fit on there, but not easily, and it never feels as secure as I would like. Speakers fit easily in the ear pockets.
__________________
Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.
cancer
Skyclad's Wanderings
Bald Eagle Bastard
The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
Skyclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #488
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L
 
Brtp4's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Bend, OR
Oddometer: 1,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r View Post
I've been wearing a Shoei Hornet Large.. so based on sizing chart and feedback, I ordered a Medium FX-39... got it quickly from Atomic Moto.. unboxed it and put it on.. what I noticed immediately is the mouthguard is very close to your nose, infact the fog shield was hitting my nose.. and I'm not italian with a big ole schnash either.. lol. After taking it of it about ripped my ears off.. so I got an RMA and going with a Large... Quality looks above par for the price of the helmet. Its no Shoei or Arai.. but its will probably do the job nicely, given a little less comfort that the more expensive.. Hopefully the Large will be a nice fit.

Has anyone ran a Sena headset on a FX-39 yet.. is there enough room for the speakers or are in-ears a must?

I'll review the helmet more once I got the replacement and get a few rides in it...


BA, I think you may need the large Fly, as it is the large shell mold. Long story, easier explained than typed. Called and left you a VM today, we should speak briefly tomorrow.

BP
__________________
BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #489
bash3r
Beastly Adventurer
 
bash3r's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Wentzville, MO
Oddometer: 1,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
BA, I think you may need the large Fly, as it is the large shell mold. Long story, easier explained than typed. Called and left you a VM today, we should speak briefly tomorrow.

BP
Sounds good BP.. I'll give you a ring tomorrow! Keep up the great work!
__________________
08' Yamaha WR250R
09' Yamaha WR250F

My ADV Website | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #490
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L
 
Brtp4's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Bend, OR
Oddometer: 1,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.G. View Post
Are there additional face shields available in orange or yellow?
No, those are not available, sorry.

BP
__________________
BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #491
Mikemm
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Oddometer: 105
Question

how about replacement liners, are they available yet?
__________________
I dont need a bike with soul. I have soul.

Mikemm screwed with this post 03-22-2012 at 05:43 AM
Mikemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #492
preacherman
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Midland, Texas
Oddometer: 27
I just got one and it fits great except the plastic nose shield on the face guard is closer to my nose than my dirt bike helmet. Is this normal for a "road" type helmet? What does the plastic nose piece do?
__________________
2012 DRZ400
"The mountains shall bring peace to the people." Psalms 72:3
preacherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:35 PM   #493
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer
 
sagedrifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Jacksonville, Alabama
Oddometer: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by preacherman View Post
I just got one and it fits great except the plastic nose shield on the face guard is closer to my nose than my dirt bike helmet. Is this normal for a "road" type helmet? What does the plastic nose piece do?
Its a breath guard, it doesn't do much. If it bothers you, remove it.

I though about removing mine, but after the helmet liner broke in I ended up having enough room to clear it.
sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:43 PM   #494
basalt
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: CA
Oddometer: 24
I just got one of these today. It is my first "street" helmet of any sorts. My initial impressions were a little disappointing, but seems spot on with everyone else's observations. Chin bar rubbed through the helmet bag, breath/roost guard touched my nose, SLIGHT scuffs on back of helmet, liner feels cheap and mooves around, cheek pads too soft, chin strap needs to made just about as short as possible.

I have Bell and HJC helmets in the same price range for my wife and daughter and I would put the quality of this helmet the same as those. I was expecting much better based on the reviews. My current helmet is a One Ind. Kombat which is similarly priced, but hands down better fit, finish, and quality all around which leads a little to my disappointment in this helmet. My current helmet is a XL, very snug but super comfortable. My head measures 62+cm and the XL FX-39 almost feels too big.

My biggest complaint which I haven't heard anyone else mention is, my ears touch the hard plastic liner in the ear openings. I find this incredibly annoying, and after hours of riding I think it will start to hurt. Is mine missing a padded liner in there or are they all like this?

If I can get over or somehow fix the ear thing I think I will really like the helmet. I've just been spoiled by my ONE Ind. helmet.

basalt screwed with this post 03-22-2012 at 10:26 AM
basalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #495
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L
 
Brtp4's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Bend, OR
Oddometer: 1,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemm View Post
how about replacement liners, are they available yet?
Which size?

BP
__________________
BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014