Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2012, 11:00 AM   #526
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Oddometer: 1,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
.. but you're saying the Fly Trekker runs true in size and I can go with the larger Fly. I've never worn a medium
so the Fly is the way to go for me I guess. I'm size 58-59.
Correct.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:47 PM   #527
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
AFX FX-39 shield (dark smoke) works for the Fly Trekker as well? Don't see one listed seperately for the Fly Trekker?
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #528
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
AFX FX-39 shield (dark smoke) works for the Fly Trekker as well? Don't see one listed seperately for the Fly Trekker?
They are the same.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 04-30-2012, 07:57 PM   #529
Mr.Black999
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
I'm looking at the Fly racing Trekker and the AVG AX-8 dual as my candidates for a new helmet. What are peoples thoughts on these two helmets? Now normally I wouldn't be looking at the AVG but Royal Distributing in Canada has them on sale for $219 I belive it is, that is still $80 more that the Trekker so not insignifigant.

Thanks for any input folks.
Mr.Black999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:22 PM   #530
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Black999 View Post
I'm looking at the Fly racing Trekker and the AVG AX-8 dual as my candidates for a new helmet. What are peoples thoughts on these two helmets? Now normally I wouldn't be looking at the AVG but Royal Distributing in Canada has them on sale for $219 I belive it is, that is still $80 more that the Trekker so not insignifigant.

Thanks for any input folks.
AFA the AGVs, the sale AX-8s are Gen 1, there is a newer version. I got a Gen 1 when they first released. I was pretty enthusiastic about them, but personally I did not like mine, and sold it fairly cheaply.

The Gen 2s seem to be better.

Since this is the AFX thread, and in the Vendors section, you can probably get a different perspective if you post in the equipment section.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR

Brtp4 screwed with this post 04-30-2012 at 09:43 PM
Old 05-01-2012, 12:39 PM   #531
Mr.Black999
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
No need for further input, thanks a lot!
Mr.Black999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:36 PM   #532
weird1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Thanks Atomic-Moto. I enjoyed meeting you and your wife, and picking up a hi-viz. just in time for my trip. I hope to get some riding in with you when I get back!! Great customer service!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
weird1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:17 PM   #533
Solstice0000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Am 5' 10" and on my 08 GS, the AFX 39DS is nice for short rides/around the city, especially for blocking the the sun in your eyes when rising or setting. But can't use it for long rides with ear plugs because there is a constant droning caused by the wind hitting the beak (droning sound stops when I hold the beak). Am sure it would also go away if: (1) I don't wear ear plugs but it would be replaced by the intolerable wind noise, or (2) change the windscreen configuration (too much $). Just fyi...
Solstice0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:30 AM   #534
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,410
No droaning here, maybe you can adjust a wind screen on the bike or something?

My DS39 is still fine after lots of use and abuse. The liner is still soft after all the cleaning out of summer sweat.

I wish the shields were quick change, I would like to switch from dark to clear shields in low light conditions when it's raining. I just leave the dark one on now. That plastic retainer thing is a pain on the road IMO.

Still my favorite warm weather go to helmet. Thanks to Atomic and this thread for pointing it out. Finding a long oval helmet to fit my head at this price is awesome.

Sent from my GT-S5690L using Tapatalk 2
sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:11 AM   #535
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstice0000 View Post
there is a constant droning caused by the wind hitting the beak (droning sound stops when I hold the beak).
This is interesting. I wear ear plugs and always thought it was just wind noise, but I will try holding my visor next time.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:37 PM   #536
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Fly Racing Large

Initially bought the AFX FX-39 in medium (small shell size) and then returned shipment for the Fly Racing Trekker in large (larger shell size). I usually wear large in Shoei (59-60) and Schuberth large (58-59) and the Trekker fits great.
Used to own a Shoei Hornet DS and to me the Trekker is a great helmet, maybe not as good and solid as the Hornet but pretty good. Some peak vibration but the Hornet DS did the same...
Made in Taiwan.

Visor: The AFX FX-39 visor fits perfectly fine on the Trekker. Where I bought it they offered 2 different visors.
I bought the more expensive in dark smoke and it works great even when it's overcast outside. I've no complaints with regards to the optical quality of the shield.

From reading here I was very careful when separating the black plastic ratchet plates, used a small screwdriver
to pry open the hook and then separated the plastic ring so it could be re-attached to the new shield.

Thanks for all the great comments and help here!

tallguy-09 screwed with this post 05-06-2012 at 03:23 PM
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #537
Roastpuppy
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Tried on Trekker in town today, L was snug, a bit too snug, I know will loosen up a bit with wear, but hard to get on and very uncomfortable.

Then went up to XL, as my current helmet, a shoei rf-800, is an XL.

The XL seemed too big, comfier, but had too much play.

So have ordered an fx-39 size Large online, as they don't carry them anywhere in town, and could not order in for me.

Hoping that it will fit well, as I seem to be between the L and XL in the Trekker, and the FX helmets are supposed to fit a half size large.

I'll let you all know.
Roastpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:35 PM   #538
9mmMike
Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roastpuppy View Post
Tried on Trekker in town today, L was snug, a bit too snug, I know will loosen up a bit with wear, but hard to get on and very uncomfortable.

Then went up to XL, as my current helmet, a shoei rf-800, is an XL.

The XL seemed too big, comfier, but had too much play.

So have ordered an fx-39 size Large online, as they don't carry them anywhere in town, and could not order in for me.

Hoping that it will fit well, as I seem to be between the L and XL in the Trekker, and the FX helmets are supposed to fit a half size large.

I'll let you all know.
I wear an XL Shoei and an L FX-39.
9mmMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:16 PM   #539
motomandan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
fx-39

The FX-39, Trekker , and the new MSR are all the same helmet.
motomandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #540
kbroderick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomandan View Post
The FX-39, Trekker , and the new MSR are all the same helmet.
...yet the fit on the Trekker is very different than the FX-39. I tried on and returned a large FX-39 and spent a fair amount of time in a medium before replacing it with a Trekker this year. The large Trekker is a much more comfortable fit without being sloppy (as the large FX-39 felt somewhere between comfy and "too big" out of the box). I've only had it on for a few hundred miles (plus one MotoGP race watched from the couch) so far, but I'm pretty sold.

I do miss the quick-release buckle, though.

Many thanks to the folks at Atomic Moto for not only managing to find and stock the product but knowing that yes, the large Trekker was the right option for me.
kbroderick is offline   Reply With Quote