Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2012, 09:25 AM   #571
Happycamper
Have bikes, will travel

Oddometer: 554
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
Not in the way you are thinking. There is a little space, it does not have an absolute contact, and they do not move a lot. Plus they are fairly hard and scratch resistant.

Of course it is possible for them to scratch in general, but I think this is a non-issue.

Hope that helps!!

BP
Thanks for the reply. I'll be ordering one at some point from AM :-)

2007 G650 Xchallenge
2009 F800GS
Happycamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #572
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,759
Has anyone found set of goggles that work well with the AFX-39? I am using a pair of Scot, but I have to basically wedge them in the helmet which makes them hard to put on and take off.
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:20 PM   #573
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Oddometer: 1,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog View Post
Has anyone found set of goggles that work well with the AFX-39? I am using a pair of Scot, but I have to basically wedge them in the helmet which makes them hard to put on and take off.
Hey Rog.

Yes, it is difficult to get them in. My ProGrip 3450s and my Smith Option OTGs fit, but I have to work them into place. Both are big frames, oddly. I have not found a model that works better than others thus far, and the face shape matters too. In this case my best suggestion is the trial and error route.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:19 AM   #574
MikePike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Tested my AFX FX39 extensively this weekend.

At first going to and from work on Wednesday and Thursday it was a bit tight around the area above the brow. Removed the visor as my riding this weekend was mostly highway.

After 813 miles this weekend it fits nice and was super comfy. Visor is going back on now that I don't have to deal with 81 and the gale force head winds. I mean to break in a helmet you have to wear it right?
MikePike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:41 PM   #575
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
Hey Rog.

Yes, it is difficult to get them in. My ProGrip 3450s and my Smith Option OTGs fit, but I have to work them into place. Both are big frames, oddly. I have not found a model that works better than others thus far, and the face shape matters too. In this case my best suggestion is the trial and error route.

BP
thanks for the reply
Old 06-21-2012, 05:06 AM   #576
MikePike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog View Post
I got my sun shade today:

That is slick! Is the brand sun shade?
MikePike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:07 AM   #577
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePike View Post
That is slick! Is the brand sun shade?
No it is AFX... I think they call it a sun shield.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #578
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,808
here's the million dollar question:

When the sun shade is up, does the visor itself have room to flip up all the way too??

I am guessing not.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #579
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
here's the million dollar question:

When the sun shade is up, does the visor itself have room to flip up all the way too??

I am guessing not.
Yes the visor goes all the way up. it would have been nice if they could have put the sun shade on the inside somehow so you could ride with the sun shade down and the main screen up for air... but it is a nice feature.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #580
camaroz1985
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Still no chin curtains? I'd like to order the chin curtain and sun shield together.
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:37 AM   #581
e010584
Dirt Rider

Oddometer: 15
Sun Shield on Fly Trekker

I too pulled the trigger on one of these for my Fly Trekker and must admit it works out better than I had thought it would. A gap between it an the main shield appears to be maintained to alleviate my main concern of fretting between them. It does run a bit close to the peak though when raised, making it possibly worthwhile to relieve the peak a bit in strategic locations to avoid eventual scratches (this was a problem on my FX-37 main shield). I run a GPS and found having the clear down view to be really slick for this purpose, even though it obviously provides the same benefit for scanning your gages. I did run into one strange anomaly yesterday evening though as I was heading East with the sun glaring off a SUV's rear window resulting in some strange ghost reflection that I presume was reflecting off the main shield to the sun shield and back to my eyes. Hard to explain exactly but I certainly never encountered anything like it before installing the sun shield and it was certainly distracting (but when isn't glare off another vehicle)..
e010584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:56 AM   #582
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,034
Brpt4,

If you have AFX's ear in any way, ask them if they can add a few more detentes to the main shield.

3 positions is ridiculous.

My only real complaint with this helmet is I cant simply crack it open slightly.
Ogre_fl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:50 AM   #583
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre_fl View Post
Brpt4,

If you have AFX's ear in any way, ask them if they can add a few more detentes to the main shield.

3 positions is ridiculous.

My only real complaint with this helmet is I cant simply crack it open slightly.
+ 10000000000000000

Sent from my GT-S5690L using Tapatalk 2
sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #584
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Oddometer: 1,954
Ogre and Sage,

Noted on the shield detents, and this has been brought to AFX's attention. I am taking the liberty of speaking for them, but....I think it is unlikely. It is not a simple change, because the parts involved are molded, and remaking the tooling is very expensive. The molds for the shield are more simple, but polycarbonate tooling, and shields in general are probably still beyond the threshold of pain.

Generally, product managers are very, very reluctant to make running changes to products. First reaction is that customers will be stoked, but in practice it throws the distribution process into chaos. Even if you push to fast-track them, R+D for molded parts is about 6 months -usually much longer - just to be ready for production, and them another 3-6 months before they ship. Nobody wants the "old" version, so the value plummets (which adds to the cost). Everything stops briefly while people try to figure out which version they are getting. Any sane person would think it was straightforward, but in practice it is a nightmare. This is why, often, on the occasions where running changes are made, they are done quietly, without telling anyone.

Usually the product manager just logs in a brief to fix it for the next version.

I cringe every time I read these complaints, but....on balance, they are still a really good helmet. To keep things in context, AFX (and Fly) have sold a bazillion of them, as a %age the complaints are small in number. They have a couple minor issues, but overall they work well, and they put a DS helmet in reach of almost anyone. IMO, it is still the best entry level DS helmet (by far).

Hope that helps.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:24 AM   #585
bigtrailie
He shoots-HE SCORES!

Oddometer: 600
sizing?

This probably all comes down to personal preference, but....
I've worn Shoei helmets for 20+ years. I've always worn XL. But my latest shoei is a Hornet Dual Sport style and is VERY snug in an XL. The sizing charts would indicate that the AFX-39 runs slightly larger than the Shoei. Can anyone confirm? I intend to buy the helmet, but I dont want to get an XL if I should instead be ordering an XXL.
Thanks.

'04 KTM 950 ADVENTURE (black) - '05 Honda XR650R (plated) - '97 Honda XR600R (plated) - '99 Honda Valkyrie Interstate (joy rides with my wife and kids)
bigtrailie is offline   Reply With Quote