Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2012, 06:34 PM   #616
Whitebread117
I do what I want

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
hi, so ive had the afx fx-39 for a while now, and all is great, i recently removed the stock clear face shield, and now only have the sun visor on, cause its been hot as hell around here, no need for the face shield now, and ever since i did that, at about 50mph or higher, i get whistling noises from right where the sun visor part is, on both sides, i notice if i put my hand over it while riding it stops, does it on both sides,

have any of you guys witnessed this, and what can be done to fix it? gets really annoying.
Put the shield back on, then leave it up. I ride like that all summer long. Full flow, no whistling
Whitebread117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #617
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebread117 View Post
Put the shield back on, then leave it up. I ride like that all summer long. Full flow, no whistling
I think he wants to use the sun visor... it goes on the outside of the main visor.
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #618
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
i put some white tape where the sun visor and the helmet meet, it still whistled, so while riding, i looked in the mirror and it turns out the whistling is coming from where the black rubber piece meets the inside padding (where the goggle strap usually goes on), it never whistled before while the face shield was on, only started doing it after i removed it, ill see if i can figure out a way to make it stop, maybe stick some foam or something in there?

I find the helmet meets less resistance from the wind, while riding without the clear shield, where when its up, it does in fact catch lots of wind.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:58 PM   #619
marine_mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
I'm still trying to find a step by step solution for adapting a chin curtain. Anyone have one?
marine_mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:26 PM   #620
Whitebread117
I do what I want

I think y'all are seriously overthinking a $110 helmet, but to each his own.

If it fits without binding and offers decent wind/sun/rain/crash protection then it'll get my stamp of approval. A little wind noise is unacceptable on a $500+ dollar Arai or Shoei. On a helmet that's 1/5 the price I think that's being a little too picky, even for this notoriously cheap KLR rider

Old 09-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #621
Brtp4
Do what you love.

Oddometer: 1,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebread117 View Post
I think y'all are seriously overthinking a $110 helmet, but to each his own.

If it fits without binding and offers decent wind/sun/rain/crash protection then it'll get my stamp of approval. A little wind noise is unacceptable on a $500+ dollar Arai or Shoei. On a helmet that's 1/5 the price I think that's being a little too picky, even for this notoriously cheap KLR rider.
Need to buy you a beer some day.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #622
Whitebread117
I do what I want

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
Need to buy you a beer some day.

BP
If I get a chance to visit OR I'll take you up on it for sure.

If you get a chance to head to the Appalachians I'll put you on a mason jar of the good stuff
Old 09-13-2012, 06:49 AM   #623
joec63
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Good helmet for the cost. Wear a medium in Shoei and the AFX med fit is similar.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:11 AM   #624
rhlrdr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by marine_mike View Post
I'm still trying to find a step by step solution for adapting a chin curtain. Anyone have one?
I don't have a step by step, but I'll tell you what I did that is sort of like a chin curtain.

I took a piece of fabric, some kind of felt-like material, and cut the shape of it to match the bottom part of the helmet. I made it for just the front so it only covers about the first 4 or so inches of the bottom front of the helmet. I then took some super sticky velcro and put it on the bottom of the helmet and also on the fabric. Because the fabric is somewhat stretchy, I can leave it on and still take the helmet on and off with no problems whatsoever.

I love it, it drastically cuts down on circulating winds when riding. It does make it just a bit warmer so maybe if it was really hot out it would not be nice. It also may contribute to fogging when riding in the cold. I'll see and address those issues as they come up.

rhlrdr screwed with this post 09-13-2012 at 07:17 AM
rhlrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:20 AM   #625
Midnightventure
-

Oddometer: 734
Ended up riding 58 miles in the rain this morning with my AFX 39. The rain poured in from some where. Faceshield and my glasses were covered with water drops on both sides. Made a bad situation worse. All the vents were closed.
Midnightventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #626
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,413
Mine is dry with the vents open in rain. But with that big open chin area road spray does get in.

Is there a chin curtain available now? If I could cut down the air flow I could extend is usefulness into the fall season.

Sent from my GT-S5690L using Tapatalk 2
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:12 AM   #627
marine_mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagedrifter View Post
Mine is dry with the vents open in rain. But with that big open chin area road spray does get in.

Is there a chin curtain available now? If I could cut down the air flow I could extend is usefulness into the fall season.

Sent from my GT-S5690L using Tapatalk 2
No chin curtain available at this time. That seems to be the #1 gripe. rhlrdr posted this:
"I took a piece of fabric, some kind of felt-like material, and cut the shape of it to match the bottom part of the helmet. I made it for just the front so it only covers about the first 4 or so inches of the bottom front of the helmet. I then took some super sticky velcro and put it on the bottom of the helmet and also on the fabric. Because the fabric is somewhat stretchy, I can leave it on and still take the helmet on and off with no problems whatsoever."
marine_mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #628
Rattletrap
When in doubt-Gas it

Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by marine_mike View Post

I took the chin curtain off my Nolan N102 and tried it out. Does it work? Yes. Does it stay in place? Yes. Does it fit well? No. But the curtain and a balaclava got me thru the winter last year.
Rattletrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #629
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,413
I would like a chin skirt to try. I also wish the shields were quick change. I prefer a dark shield.... but need clear at night or for days of rain.

AFX is very close to a great DS touring lid, its really close.

Too bad they stopped short. Its my summer lid though, I leave a dark shield on it and use clear goggles or glasses for night time runs. In the winter I go back to my long oval fitting light weight street helmet, a Shark RSI with two shields that quickly change and have a vent position. I really miss cracking the shield open in the rain, my AFX is always slaming shut over 45 mph....

Can you imagine if they had dealt with these basic issues during R&D? I wonder if they are motorcycle riders? What rider would only want 3 positions etc, who would not want an easily changed face shield using no tools? Its amazing how many helmets have the same little quirks. I bought my first Shark RSI for $180 on ebay, it can be done. Paid $249 for another Shark RSI before they closed them all out. Its hard to find a good fitting helmet for those prices IMO. I bet many would pay more for a deluxe 39. I would pay $300 easily, not $600 though...

Its a great helmet for $119 per, its actually a better buy than other more expensive lids. I just hope AFX can see we need a refined version, wouldn't that be amazing. At least we have it though, it sure beats my MX lid on the road.

sagedrifter screwed with this post 09-18-2012 at 02:02 PM
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:53 AM   #630
vanseagal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Has anyone actually crashed in one of these? I like the look and functionality of this helmet, but I'm wondering about the safety. Any comments on safety issues?
vanseagal is offline   Reply With Quote