Mr. Fisherman
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Oddometer: 10,662
Any ADV specials?

I want a mirrored one shipped to 97124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
Fellow ADVRiders,

Glad to say that the long-delayed (almost a year) AFX FX-39 (and Fly Trekker) Sunshields are BACK IN STOCK.

More info here:

Available in Dark smoke, light smoke, or mirror.

http://www.atomic-moto.com/AFX-FX-39...eld_p_731.html

BP
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #662
BluesCruiser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Just got the gold mirror visor and it looks very nice...however...are there any special instructions for cleaning it? I have heard that some mirror finishes wipe off if you don't do it the right way.

Dave
BluesCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:08 PM   #663
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
Fellow ADVRiders,

Glad to say that the long-delayed (almost a year) AFX FX-39 (and Fly Trekker) Sunshields are BACK IN STOCK.

More info here:

Available in Dark smoke, light smoke, or mirror.

http://www.atomic-moto.com/AFX-FX-39...eld_p_731.html

BP
So does this rest against the shield? Wondering if when deployed and you raise the shield does it have a chance to scratch the main shield? Or will wind moving it around will you have a line where it's rubbing? Does it mount on the same hardware with a washer or something between it and the stocker?

Anyone have experience with this shield?
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:13 AM   #664
mel brooks
Dirt Chick

Oddometer: 1,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCRider803 View Post
Anyone have experience with this shield?

I have some minimal scratching near the top of the main shield from the sun shield rubbing it.

“Everytime I start thinkin’ the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people out having a good time on motorcycles and it makes me take another look.”
Steve McQueen, On Any Sunday
mel brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:29 AM   #665
e010584
Dirt Rider

Oddometer: 16
Sun Shield Experience

I had similar concerns about scratching with the sun shield and can confirm there is no discernible scratching to the main shield from the sun shield. There is some very minor scratching of the sun shield by the sun visor / peak in the area of the pivot but it is really only incidental. It does attach with the same hardware and has a distinct advantage over internal sun shields by providing an unobstructed (without tinting) look-down view of the instruments/controls. About the only anomaly I've found and previously noted is a "ghosting" effect where you can get some internal reflections between the main shield and sun shield that can create a "visual echo".
e010584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:31 AM   #666
jjdavidson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
This is such a long thread, and as a new afx fx-39 owner i'd like to hear suggestions about goggles (i hope this is the right word) to fit with this helmet
jjdavidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #667
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdavidson View Post
This is such a long thread, and as a new afx fx-39 owner i'd like to hear suggestions about goggles (i hope this is the right word) to fit with this helmet
I wear a size small and bought Smith Fuel v.2 LST Goggles. They fit under the shield perfectly without touching the shield when fully closed. I just bought the helmet and the goggles and have only taken it out on two rides, and both were on overcast days, so I didn't get to test out their transitions-style lens capabilities though. It was in the high-30s both times, and the goggles fogged up only minimally, and only when I was stopped. I am pleased with this pair of goggles so far. I obviously can't speak of longevity or anything.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #668
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 852
I'm also curious about what goggles can be used and still get the shield closed.

Another question on the sun visor. I've read some reviews on other sites where people say that with the sun visor up it catches a lot more air and pulls up on the helmet way more than without. Anyone with experience with that?

TIA
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:43 PM   #669
max384
Disgruntled Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCRider803 View Post
I'm also curious about what goggles can be used and still get the shield closed.

Another question on the sun visor. I've read some reviews on other sites where people say that with the sun visor up it catches a lot more air and pulls up on the helmet way more than without. Anyone with experience with that?

TIA
I use Smith Fuel v.2 LST goggles on my size small helmet. The visor closes all the way with these underneath. I've only owned the helmet and goggles for about a month, but so far I like them together as a combination.

I noticed it pulling more with the visor up, but that was only on the highway, not at slower speeds.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
Old 05-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #670
E365
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by fattires View Post
After having my helmet for quite a while now I am still mostly satisfied with it except for one problem. The face shield will not stay shut all the way and when I turn my head it opens about 1/2 an inch. It is really driving me crazy, anyone else had this issue?
I have this issue at 60MPH+. Anyone know a solution? I played around with the visor adjustment (screws on the side) and I can get it to snap closed very solidly, so I don't think that's it. Then I thought the wind catches the open areas on the side of the visor; the gaps that accommodate a goggle strap. I added sticky-backed foam strips to seal and block the wind but that didn't do it. I have just ordered the factory chin curtain thinking it might be wind coming up and blowing it open when I turn my head.

If I push a finger into the shield and hold it down when I turn my head it's a world of difference. No excessive noise or wind buffeting.

Other than that I love the helmet. Seems of reasonable quality and I love the ratchet strap. Price was right and it fits me very well. I got Hi-Viz and have been applying 303 Aerospace Protectant hoping it will prevent fading.
E365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #671
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,413
If it won't stay closed, look at the detents in the shield under the side cover. The shield is probably cracked there or it could be loose.

I've worn out one shield so far, the left side detents or notches cracked. I got a solid 12 months of almost daily use out of it till it broke, I'm using a dark shield now..
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #672
E365
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
It's definitely not cracked or loose. I've thoughly adjusted and inspected the mechanism numerous times.

It did this from day one.

Looking at it closer it appears the ID of the visor's pivot bore is larger than the OD of the black plastic pivot. So there's slop in the pivot, even though the pin/notch part is solid. I think that's where the slop is coming from. Mine lifts about 1/4" max, not the 1/2" fattires had.

E365 screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 07:59 PM
E365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #673
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,856
I've had mine for almost a year. One thing that I dislike is the buckle. It bruises my adams-apple when I ride rougher trails, where your head moves around (up and down). It's a neat concept, but where they locate it isn't. If it was up towards the ear a bit more it would be fine.

Street and easy dirt riding no problem, but real trails hurt.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #674
max384
Disgruntled Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
I've had mine for almost a year. One thing that I dislike is the buckle. It bruises my adams-apple when I ride rougher trails, where your head moves around (up and down). It's a neat concept, but where they locate it isn't. If it was up towards the ear a bit more it would be fine.

Street and easy dirt riding no problem, but real trails hurt.
Mine bothered my neck too. It was bad enough that I was ready to junk it. Then I wrapped the piece that inserts into the buckle (not the part that actually goes in though) with electrical tape and the problem is completely solved. I now wish my daily rider helmet had this system.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
Old 05-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #675
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemm View Post
Im still having trouble finding replacement liners for this helmet.. been looking for close to a year now and every dealer I call cant seem to get one in. Do I need to buy a brand new helmet if I only need a liner?
I'm also looking for a liner. My settled in excessively, but AFX refused to admit it was covered by the warranty and told me they had no liners they could sell me. Such poor support of a current product is disappointing.

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is offline   Reply With Quote