Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2011, 06:04 PM   #76
boxer0987
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Anybody have any updates on the helmet? Curious of how much that visor drags. I like the look of the helmet but I cruise 60 on the highway for about 70 miles a day. How bad is that drag?
boxer0987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:33 PM   #77
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Oddometer: 1,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
Sorry guys, I do not have the 37, hard for me to give comparative info. I will take a pic of the helmet on a wearer and post it up tomorrow.

BP
I was not able to take a pic of this, but I tried it o myself. The strap does not feel any different than any of my other helmets.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:38 PM   #78
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer0987 View Post
Anybody have any updates on the helmet? Curious of how much that visor drags. I like the look of the helmet but I cruise 60 on the highway for about 70 miles a day. How bad is that drag?
I have not tried it yet, sorry. If it helps, one thing to note...AFX does include a kit in each helmet with screws and side plates that allow you to use the helmet w/o the visor.

Stock is trickling in slooooowly. Large black, L Silver, and L matte black hit the warehouse today. We should have them in a few days.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR

Brtp4 screwed with this post 03-18-2011 at 01:26 PM
Old 03-17-2011, 07:34 PM   #79
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,350
If you don't want the extra drag, take the peak off for the interstate. Its only logical that all DS helmets are going to be caught by the wind some @ speed with that peak sticking out there even 3". Heck the fake DS helmets with useless dirt abilities will catch air, just look up at 70 mph or so.

Limit head checks with good mirrors!

Sombody should have bought that xl version by now and given us the play by play. Ride more work less guys.. gotta test... R&D ya know..
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:09 PM   #80
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

AFX FX-39 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer0987 View Post
Boxer, I got to take mine out for a short test ride. Rode for a little over 25 minutes, 2 lane road, some dirt road, some freeway. Speeds from 20 in the dirt, at least 40 mph and up to 85 on the street.

The helmet has almost zero lift - I repeat, almost zero. Actually, I want to say none at all, but I can't bring myself to do that. It is quite a bit better than the Zox Roost RX helmet that I benchmark it against. Even at speeds, it is better than several street helmets I have. I was really, really surprised.

It does pull a little when your head is turned completely to the side. This was exacerbated by the fact that I need thicker cheek pads, the helmet was too loose.

Again, note that the helmet was loose, and still did not lift.

I was not able to compare to a Shoei Hornet or Arai XD, but it is the best sub-$450 DS helmet I have touched or tried.

Edit: Spent more time in this yesterday. Really, really like it.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR

Brtp4 screwed with this post 04-03-2011 at 08:34 AM
Old 03-25-2011, 08:24 PM   #81
Gravetter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Boxer, I got to take mine out for a short test ride. Rode for a little over 25 minutes, 2 lane road, some dirt road, some freeway. Speeds from 20 in the dirt, at least 40 mph and up to 85 on the street.

The helmet has almost zero lift - I repeat, almost zero. Actually, I want to say none at all, but I can't bring myself to do that. It is quite a bit better than the Zox Roost RX helmet that I benchmark it against. Even at speeds, it is better than several street helmets I have. I was really, really surprised.

It does pull a little when your head is turned completely to the side. This was exacerbated by the fact that I need thicker cheek pads, the helmet was too loose.

Again, note that the helmet was loose, and still did not lift.

I was not able to compare to a Shoei Hornet or Arai XD, but it is the best sub-$450 DS helmet I have touched or tried.

BP

No Silvers in med yet, right?
Gravetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:43 PM   #82
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravetter View Post
No Silvers in med yet, right?
No, not yet. I saw your thread, but already spam enough as it is.

Have 1 Large sil, as soon as the Ms arrive I can let you know.

You B/O'd with us?

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 03-27-2011, 11:51 AM   #83
Wenduro
Agenda 21 Refugee

Oddometer: 1,835
I'm currently wearing a Nolan 102/Nolan 103/Scorpion ex-700, in Large sizes. All fit my noggin well. Just ordered one of these in silver Large(I believe it's in stock?)

I'll report back on the fit once it arrives.
Wenduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:09 PM   #84
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

W, I have 1 silver large remaining, with your name on it. Hoping for more soon.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 03-27-2011, 03:14 PM   #85
Wenduro
Agenda 21 Refugee

Oddometer: 1,835
Quote:
W, I have 1 silver large remaining, with your name on it. Hoping for more soon.

BP
Excellent. Thanks my good man
Wenduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #86
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post
I sent my 37 back because of the strap. I am hoping the 39 will be better with the ratchet strap. I like that strap on my Nolan helmet.
+1 This was my complaint with the 37 as well (I tried on a couple that my friends bought). I also did not like the fit for my head shape (I like the shape of the Bell and the Shoei). Glad to hear they made some much-needed changes. I knew it was only a matter of time, since these complaints were very common.
OhioPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:37 PM   #87
boxer0987
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
When will the white ones be in stock? Still waiting on a large and medium in white. Any idea?
boxer0987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:26 AM   #88
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Checking now. Will reply ASAP.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 03-28-2011, 10:40 AM   #89
Abomb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Ordering a white one on Friday in XL, hopefully in stock then. Cannot wait to get this lid and give it a test ride. BP gave me some great feed back on this thing. Super stoked on it. I do wish they made one in a Yellow/Black color scheme, I would be all over that one.

BP, one question before I buy. I measure at a 24 1/8, oval. I fit a Shoei and a Icon Variant in an XL, Scorpion XXL. I am sorta between sizes in this helmet. Thinking a XL and not a L. Any input?

Thanks
Abomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:08 PM   #90
chief_lee_visceral
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
What about a pinlock for this helmet? Any ideas... I am a heavy breather apparently in Seattle so I think this is a deal breaker if no pinlock.

I am fed up with my Shoei Hornet DS. I have nothing good to say about that helmet. Terrible drag and noisy, foggy, no room for speakers, slightest bump the visor screws break off and of course pricey.

The Hornet is size XL and I have a hot spot on my forehead. I bought a Vemar Eclipse in carbon fiber no less because the Hornet is so bad at speed. I quickly found out why I got a $750 MSRP helmet for $300 though. The face shield has 1/4 turn fasteners that won't stay on. The Vemar is size XXL but I don't expect it is a popular comparison.
chief_lee_visceral is offline   Reply With Quote