Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2011, 09:49 AM   #1
Wildman1971 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
I wander what Sportster mufflers would sound like on a CL 350??

Anyone ever tried it. I have a system laying in my garage of my dads 2003 883 Sportster. I was thinking, I could make the mufflers work on my Cafe project CL 350. I don't know how it would sound but the price would be right. Free! And they wouldn't look bad either. Just thought I'd throw it out there. I'm sure I'm not the only crazy one that would try it. I would run pipes low like a stock CB then angle the mufflers up about 30 degrees in the back. I don't know.
Wildman1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:15 AM   #2
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,937
It'll be fine. The sound will surprise you.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:35 AM   #3
kz1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 780
Naked Goldwings

The guys over at the Naked Goldwing (early Goldwings) site do this all the time. The old exhaust is rusted out or they just want a little different sound.

kz1 screwed with this post 02-08-2011 at 10:42 AM
kz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:28 AM   #4
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com

Oddometer: 2,185
They're really good mufflers. I use them on my old Sportster. You can get them pretty cheap. Usually they're in perfect shape. A little heavy though. You may want to pop that center disk out. It won't increase the noise level much, but they will flow much better.
drhach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:47 PM   #5
Wildman1971 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

That old Wing actually sounds pretty impressiv with the Sportster pipes. I bet it would give the CL 350 a little bit of a deeper tone. I may have to check it out. I also have one new Dunstall replica long muffler that came with a bike a bought a while back. Guy just gave it to me. I like the looks of it also. I would just need to buy one more. I've got to finish up my rearsets then I can start figuring if I'm going to use stock CB head pipes or just build all new and route them where I want.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:19 PM   #6
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman1971 View Post
Anyone ever tried it. I have a system laying in my garage of my dads 2003 883 Sportster. I was thinking, I could make the mufflers work on my Cafe project CL 350. I don't know how it would sound but the price would be right. Free! And they wouldn't look bad either. Just thought I'd throw it out there. I'm sure I'm not the only crazy one that would try it. I would run pipes low like a stock CB then angle the mufflers up about 30 degrees in the back. I don't know.
It'll still sound like a CB350. Maybe a bit louder.

I've never much cared for the sound of those 180 degree crankshaft twins myself.
caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:20 PM   #7
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,977
Quote:
That old Wing actually sounds pretty impressiv with the Sportster pipes. I bet it would give the CL 350 a little bit of a deeper tone. I may have to check it out. I also have one new Dunstall replica long muffler that came with a bike a bought a while back. Guy just gave it to me. I like the looks of it also. I would just need to buy one more. I've got to finish up my rearsets then I can start figuring if I'm going to use stock CB head pipes or just build all new and route them where I want.
Get a pair of junkyard header pipes and modify them to siamese configuration and use the one Dunstall muffler.
caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:28 PM   #8
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
Probably just fine. If the centerstand is still on the bike, fitting the pipes may be a minor pain, but that's no reason to pull the stand off. Go for it.
Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:18 PM   #9
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,634
I hate to disappoint anyone, but the fact is from my auditory point of view it doesn't seem to matter what pipes or mufflers are installed on a 350 (with the exception of the 270 crank 1969-70 SL350). They all sound like a 350 Honda, just that some are louder than others. I make this observation after being around 350 Hondas since day one, living in an area where Hondas were incredibly strong sellers back in the 60s and 70s and also from hearing them at Ashland AHRMA vintage flat track as well as the AHRMA Mid Ohio Vintage Roadraces. They just have a sound that is almost instantly identifiable as a Honda 350.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:13 PM   #10
Wildman1971 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
I hate to disappoint anyone, but the fact is from my auditory point of view it doesn't seem to matter what pipes or mufflers are installed on a 350 (with the exception of the 270 crank 1969-70 SL350). They all sound like a 350 Honda, just that some are louder than others. I make this observation after being around 350 Hondas since day one, living in an area where Hondas were incredibly strong sellers back in the 60s and 70s and also from hearing them at Ashland AHRMA vintage flat track as well as the AHRMA Mid Ohio Vintage Roadraces. They just have a sound that is almost instantly identifiable as a Honda 350.
I'm not dissapointed. I was just curious of the tone. Not trying to make it sound like something it isn't. But sometimes you can put something on a bike and not end up sounding very good.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:44 PM   #11
Nessman
Cluttered Minimalist

Oddometer: 1,542
I put a Sporty muffler on my GN400 thumper and was impressed, it muffeled the sound nicely and didn't seem to have too much back-pressure. Harley spent millions developing those things to be small, sound good and pass standards, $20 for a pair of cast-offs is way cheap.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:27 PM   #12
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,896
Well since aftermarket harley mufflers hardly muffle
They'll be loud.

You can get a pretty good Idea what they would sound like by just putting a longer pipe on the end of the stock header with out the stock Muffler on.

But in reality they won't be any worse then any other system you can still get for these bikes,
Old 02-12-2011, 09:37 AM   #13
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,634
Quote:
I'm not dissapointed. I was just curious of the tone. Not trying to make it sound like something it isn't. But sometimes you can put something on a bike and not end up sounding very good.

I think my sister had some old Sportster or Triumph mufflers on a 350 she had briefly back around 1977 or so. It sounded decent. Much better than the ubiquitous shorties everyone stuck on them. If you can get them way cheap it makes sense to do so. I mean REALLY cheap since you likely wouldn't be able to unload them if they don't sound good.

If you are going to bend or weld up a set of head pipes, why not go for the mid level scrambler type pipes. Here's a BSA with the ones I remember from the 60s and 70s, but they all ran shorties or straight pipes, this one has what appears to be Sportster mufflers on it like you'd be using.

Heck that thing has the BSA engine wedged into either an SR500 or XS650 chassis. The owner said it was a "bitsa" bike.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550

markk53 screwed with this post 02-12-2011 at 09:44 AM
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:25 AM   #14
ivantheterrible
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
When I got my SR500 it had a very cheap after market muffler on it that quickly broke. I have the original muffler, but the header pipe had been changed so it didn't fit any more. Rather then pay for, and change the header pipe and go with the original muffler (which weighs a ton, by the way ) I got a good deal on some very clean sportster mufflers and put them on. They look good, sound much better then the cheapo muffler that was on the bike, (not surprising ) so I'm happy with them. I don't know what the original sounds like, so I can't compare the two.
ivantheterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:12 PM   #15
Wildman1971 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The ones I have are the stock mufflers off an '03 and free. I think it would muffle it down a bit but they are a bit heavy. not to bad though. But last night I was fitting them up and I think I like the Dunstall replica muffler that I have. It's the 27 1/4" long one and it's new. I'd just need to buy the other. I like the way they look when they are upswept and run out close to even with the rear of the rear tire. Now I just need to find some decent CB head pipes and some upsweep adapters. I'd like to build my own system but that would cost me more buying a builders kit that has straights, mandrel bends and all that. Got to get this all figured out and done before I tear it down for paint and powder coat.