Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2011, 03:26 PM   #76
Dan-O-Face
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24

80% of my breakfasts usually consists of a Whey protein shake, I bring along a large freezer bag (make sure its the heavy duty so they dont break), along with a Coffee press. The other 20% I pick up eggs the night before, along with some extra lean turkey breakfast sausage and whole wheat bread. The shake works great though, leaves you feeling full, gives you lots of energy throughout the morning, and best of all its quick so you can hit the road nice and early without having to do dishes.

Lunch I usually stop at a Pita Pit, Extreme Pita, Subway type of deal, or hit up a grocery store pick up some meats, veggies and make my own.

Dinner, I often pickup some chicken breasts with veggies and potatoes. Or cheaper alternative, Condensed Cream of Mushroom soup, add rice, buy some fresh Mushrooms toss it all in a pot and cook it for 25 mins.
If I cook chicken breast, I will often cook 2-3 extra, and make a chicken stirfry (just buy a pack of mix frozen veggies the next day), quick lunch in like 15mins.

Of course, if you like to have a drink from time to time, Vodka, water and a lemon or lime slice (48 calories)..."healthiest" drink choice you can do. If I feel like beer, I usually go with a Sleemans Clear (90 caloris) or Becks Light (64 calories).

When I drink though, I'm usually not too concerned with caloric intake :P
Dan-O-Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:25 PM   #77
tripods
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Road food

I rode my bicycle around Ireland, across Wales, to London. I packed a bunch of freeze-dried foods. They were lousy. I stayed in B&B's almost every night, with a few stays in hostels, and a few nights camping. In the mornings I would have the typical breakfast served in a B&B: some eggs, 'oatmeal', toast, tea, and they were always happy when I skipped the meat offered. Each morning I found a local bakery and loaded up with scones (Real ones, not the soft, sweet American type), a bread, and sometimes some cheese. This provided energy for pedaling. I would stop mid-day at a local pub for something good to eat for lunch. Dinner was usually in a restaurant unless I was camping or in a hostel, where I would cook locally bought fresh food.

On motorcycle trips here in the US, I like a mix of nuts, seeds and dried fruit for snacking, along with good bread. Canned chick peas, some balsamic vinegar and olive oil are quick and easy to serve, and filling. Small tins of prepared food such as pasta and vegetables, or salmon and vegetables, etc are often found in our Ocean State Job lot store, and surprisingly, they have simple healthy ingredients, with no chemicals or preservatives. Some do have a high sodium content, so choose wisely or pee often. They also often have single serving meals in vacuum packed bags that require no refrigeration. Often they are Indian food, or rice based dishes. They are easy to heat in a small pan. Again, sodium content can be an issue. I find that too much salt makes it hard for me to sleep.

I also carry peanut butter and bread. I also frequently buy fresh foods at local groceries, and cook if the situation requires it.

I try to avoid greasy road food, because I hate having stomach problems while on the road.
Part of travel is trying (Sometimes avoiding) local food.
tripods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:59 PM   #78
rosscoact
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,503
On Friday night I pulled off the Sunset Track twenty metres and an hour later I was sitting in my camp chair, looking at the last remnants of light fading in the western sky, the campfire burning away and I ate a freezedried backwoods pantry "Roast lamb with mash".

It was up there with some of the best meals I've ever had. Glorious.

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:09 PM   #79
oldmanriver1951
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
sustainable meals

Whether hiking or biking, I have found Logan Bread to be one of the best values per weight and nutrition. Won't get into the recipe, you develop it yourself, lots of ideas on the net..but basically its a bread/bar/bscuit made from a variety off flours, nuts and grains and dried fruits. It's 'tasty' but not what you'd call great. It's also dry, packs well and lasts forever. Cup of tea in the morning and a piece of logan bread does me fine for hours, can nosh on it around lunch, and spend time around the stove making a hot meal for supper or enjoy a restuarant meal as a treat. One 2 in. square of logan bread has all the nutritional needs for a climber for most of the day. Idea is from a bunch of hippie climbers back in the 60's, climbing Mt. Logan in AK...Too high for an energy bar, but not high enough to be worth packing cooking equipment. You might have to make 3 or 4 variations till you find the mix that is right for your taste, but is sure is mighty handy. Freezes well also....always some in the freezer, ready for the trips.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:04 PM   #80
MTBRALPH
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Breakfast:
Homemade nut,grain and dried fruit mixture
Fresh brewed coffee
Dried figs or other fruit

Lunch:
Origional triscuit crackers (much less salt than the copies or flavored types)
Tuna or salmon in olive oil. Small foil pack
Dried fruit. If you don't dry your own be sure you get pure fruit. No added sugar or other shit
Water

Dinner:
Sometimes I eat a mountain house or other brand back meal
Sometimes cheese and crackers or bread
Sometimes homemade venison jerky. If weather not too hot
If at all possible a few pints of a good IPA

These are some of my favorites. I don't do fast food. If in Northern New Mexico will ride a long way for good green or red chile

Ralph
MTBRALPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:56 PM   #81
rosscoact
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by intothenew View Post
I would like to improve in the breakfast department, but I have some bad habits and prejudice.

The bad habits revolve around time management. If it is past sun up before my kickstand is up, I feel like I am behind.
I hear you. I won't ride with people who take two hours to get ready in the morning. If you want to frig around with coffee and eggs then I'll be having a mid-morning snack 160k away before your engine's warm.

It's ok if you only want to ride for a few hours a day but otherwise....

Possibly explains why I don't go to too many rallies

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:10 PM   #82
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
What a puss thread this is.

Nutrion while you're running the bike.

Maybe this is indicavtive of the new male Metro culture thing.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:51 PM   #83
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider View Post
What a puss thread this is.

Nutrion while you're running the bike.

Maybe this is indicavtive of the new male Metro culture thing.

Excuse me Sheila, but you have yet to spend a few weeks with me. I am the crampman, I am the nauseous, coo coo ca choo. You best have your nutrients in order, if and when we meet.

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:10 AM   #84
243Win
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
On the last ride, I was eating the usual crap until I hooked up with a German on an 18 month ride himself. The diet changed for the better the next three nights. We'd hit the local grocery store each night and grab a sausage of some sort, a block of cheese, a loaf of crusty bread, fresh fruit and vegetables. It was fantastic. Probably the healthiest I've eaten in years vs the usual high sodium processed food diet.

I'd like to think he was impressed when I pulled the virgin olive oil and basalmic vinegar out of my kit to add to the meals.

We won't discuss his Sanka in the morning,...

Anyhow, it was far, far better than any freezed dried meal in a bag or can of whatever and a bag of chips for dinner.

Didn't cost anymore either.

10 State Trip 2010
2011, $1000 in the pocket, how far can we go
243Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #85
JohnBryer
Adventure Poser

Oddometer: 942
Since when is sausage and cheese healthy?
Old 08-08-2011, 04:11 PM   #86
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,702
Welcome to the post USDA-food-pyramid world...

Fats, meats, and old-fashioned cheeses (i.e., NOT velveeta or that abomination called "american cheese") are indeed part of a health-promoting diet. So yeah, I'd call them something that's part of OnTheRoadHealthyEating. As always, tempered with moderation and variety, of course.

Certainly better than the "glorp" that inspired this thread

(Apologies to Questor...)

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:57 PM   #87
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,392
Possible Revelation: Euell Gibbons ate pine nuts and tofu at home, made a career out of healthy eating, but I bet he owned a Norton (not confirmed), and had the time of his life trying new foods (with fat, salt, and sugar) and experiences while out on epic moto trips. Stories that would never make it into his nutrition books, which were his claim to fame. Might not be true, but I hope that's how his life really went.

Living life while riding motorcycles would be more than balanced by what he did with the (vast majority) of the balance of his life (and diet).

I might have a Clif Bar for breakfast with coffee, some fruit for lunch, but a plate of pork in fried fat in Oaxaca with a mole for dinner (it goes by another name). Sometimes culinary discoveries are as rewarding as geographical discoveries.

Good thread, and I understand the intent, but I'm with Bob (Lone Rider) on this one.

Nutshell: If you're going out across the US or the world to seek new horizons, seek balance in all things and add provision for new tastes and menus.

Hope someone's EVOO doesn't leak out on their luggage.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:44 PM   #88
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Good eating while spelunking...
Good eating while working in a cube...
Good eating while rafting...

What a load of lifestyle crap.

When I'm on the road - on my bike - I like to wash my man panties and other delicates in the sink and let them dry overnight.
I've thought about decanting a bottle of Woolite into a stainless steel fasks, and using them for shortish trips.
It would be really neat if I could have my initials engraved on the stainless flasks.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:32 PM   #89
AJxr

Oddometer: 929
some of us dudes feel like a complete bag of crap if we dont eat REAL food while on trips. by real food i mean stuff that isnt mcshitalds and wendys.

What would Magoo do?
AJxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:49 PM   #90
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider View Post
Good eating while spelunking...
Good eating while working in a cube...
Good eating while rafting...

What a load of lifestyle crap.

When I'm on the road - on my bike - I like to wash my man panties and other delicates in the sink and let them dry overnight.
I've thought about decanting a bottle of Woolite into a stainless steel fasks, and using them for shortish trips.
It would be really neat if I could have my initials engraved on the stainless flasks.
What's your problem, dewd?

Don't go away mad, just go away. I'm trying to figure who/what made you read this thread and then get your panties in a bunch—now that you've brought that up—but, like Curly sez, nuttin's happening...

Here's a clue: go to your control panel, select this thread, then waaaay down at the bottom there's a drop down menu where you can unsubscribe. Then, no more frustration, no more panties in a bunch, and you can safely ignore this thread.

Or, Jo momma is you friend, but this ain't no Jo momma.

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is online now   Reply With Quote