User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2011, 06:33 PM   #91
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
....Or, Jo momma is you friend, but this ain't no Jo momma.
Why does anybody need a moto-specific food nutrition thread?
Unless you're weighing the benefits of Kangarro vs Wombat while crossing the Simpson, this makes no sense.

This should be in one of the general lifestyle forums. Because it is lifestyle.
There are many threads about cooking while camping with the bike. That's bike specific, and addresses many of the common limitations.

Next, we could have a thread regarding the best colognes to wear for dual sport, street, and scootering. Which ones hold up best, etc.

I understand that you like this thread, and that it may be useful to you, but It's not moto specific.

This is something that would appear in the contents of Men's Journal, Men's Health, and other lifestyle magazines, trying to appeal to a broad audience, but always lacking significant detail.

Trip Planning it is not.

Im not mad - only disappointed.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:35 PM   #92
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider View Post
Why does anybody need a moto-specific food nutrition thread?...This should be in one of the general lifestyle forums...There are many threads about cooking while camping with the bike. That's bike specific, and addresses many of the common limitations.
OK, I can see some rational thought to your objections. A little more useful than "puss thread." You want it moved? Be my guest. I've got nothing valuable invested here.

Quote:
I understand that you like this thread, and that it may be useful to you, but It's not moto specific.
Meh. It's something I got a few ideas from that were somewhat useful for my moto-camping efforts, but not really a big deal. Mostly I just don't like to see rude comments spewed about when you could've just closed the window, muttered "useless" to yourself and gone on to something better.

I do understand that with 24K posts you must feel somewhat protective of this place...

Quote:
This is something that would appear in the contents of Men's Journal, Men's Health, and other lifestyle magazines, trying to appeal to a broad audience, but always lacking significant detail.
I'll have to take your word for that; never bothered to pay attention to that stuff.

Quote:
Trip Planning it is not.

Im not mad - only disappointed.
Got it.

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:18 PM   #93
existent80
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Nope, I'm going to have to disagree with this.

Camping magazines deal with backpackers: it's got to be lightweight, and suffice for a 5-day trek into nowhere, and out.

Motorcyclists can carry more weight, and so we talk about better (not lightweight) stoves, cookware, and such. We usually also touch base with a gas station in the day, or a small town or outpost, which might give us access to limited groceries.

Men's Health might talk about ideal nutrition, but I'll tell you that a salad won't last long in my panniers this summer. However, I will tell you that Mori-Nu brand tofu can be kept indefinitely at room temperature, and that onions and bell peppers hold up after a day in your luggage and make a decent stir fry. That there are some heat-and-serve meals (not dehydrated) that keep the NaCl in check. It's not healthy eating at home, but it's healthy-enough on the road. I like it.

I'm the kind of gal, at the end of a ride, I can't eat crap food. Your physiology is one element in the ride, and if you've got a method that works for you, . If this thread ain't nothing to you, feel free to move along.
existent80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:38 PM   #94
243Win
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBryer View Post
Since when is sausage and cheese healthy?
Honestly, they are not. But the bulk of the meal was the bread and vegetables, with the meat and cheese in moderation. We both commented that if we were at home, the meal is more likely to be just the meat and cheese.

10 State Trip 2010
2011, $1000 in the pocket, how far can we go
243Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:39 PM   #95
243Win
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Next, we could have a thread regarding the best colognes to wear for dual sport, street, and scootering. Which ones hold up best, etc.
Good one.

10 State Trip 2010
Old 08-10-2011, 01:41 PM   #96
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBryer View Post
Since when is sausage and cheese healthy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 243Win View Post
Honestly, they are not...
I concede to Lone Rider.

Too bad this thread is devolving into a meta-discussion, and focussing on the loaded and now almost meaningless term "healthy."

If we want to talk about good ways to cook/pack while moto-camping, I'm in; as LR wrote, there are several other threads that are doing this.

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:58 PM   #97
243Win
Studly Adventurer

One legitimate reason for this thread could be for folks with a malady like high-blood pressure and given the sodium content of most packaged/prepared food typically eaten on the road, a venue to hear better ideas for decent food on the road.

10 State Trip 2010
Old 08-10-2011, 08:54 PM   #98
rosscoact
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,503
Given this thread is over six months old, I contend that the whiney bitching about it's relevancy is in itself irrelevant.

If the mods thought it should be merged with other threads presumably they would have already done so. If you think the mods are wrong on this score then complain about the mods not the thread.

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:38 AM   #99
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,138
Let's go back to the picnic table, kinda sorta. A table for two please.

Shrimp and potatoes.

The intended campground was closed on this next one. So, a side walk for two.

A packaged salad, small container of macaroni and potato salad, and a filet.

We had packed up wet this morning. Made the end of day in time for laundry, drying camping gear, and hors d'oeuvre.

I consider cooking, in and of itself, an adventure.

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:36 PM   #100
Savoir-Faire