Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2011, 11:11 PM   #106
Savoir-Faire
Powered by Hate

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by intothenew View Post

Sour cream and onion powder? I'm intrigued. From scratch? Got a recipe?
Old 09-01-2011, 05:23 AM   #107
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir-Faire View Post
From scratch?
Nope, I've tried and failed miserably. It turned out with a variant of textures, everything from plastic to potato chip to leather and a few in between. The color has been something resembling yellow clay.

So, in the meantime, I purchase it from a local Amish/bulk food store.

I'll be back in the lab this winter.

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:28 AM   #108
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
Quote:
No kidding. It cracks me up when I hear people talk about the latest carbon gewgaw that reduces their bike's weight by 400 grams when they're 50 pounds overweight.
That and some peoples idea of healthy in these posts. Maybe they thought the thread was for what they think tastes good, surely they can't be serious. lol

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:08 PM   #109
patadeperro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaCowboy View Post
Perhaps a more poignant question might be .... What happens when I go from eating my normal "home" diet to eating convenience store hot dogs, greasy burgers, etc while on my bike all day.....as it relates to bathroom issues......Maybe some of you fellas are impervious to major dietary swings and have no negative side effects, but I imagine many do...

One of my favorite camp meals (I carry a MSR propane canister stove ) is ramen noodles with a foil pack of cooked chicken (available at Wally and other places )...I eat granola bars at rest stops during the day...take a nalgene bottle with packs of crystal light to drink...and a MSR water filterer for sketchy water sources...Ive been known to pack plums and other fruit as are seasonally available... I usually start the day with hot oatmeal.... I do not consider myself a health nut, its just that greasy burgers and convenience store hot dogs dont make me feel "well" especially when riding a bike... and I am sort of cheap too

This sort of regime might get old on a very long trip... but on trips of a week or less it isnt too bad....and I will usually stop every 2d or 3rd day for at least one "store bought" meal.. this usually coincides with my need to access wi-fi
dear alabama boy i sugest you to look on the bad burritos treadh youl find what happens when pass from healty home food to road food
i have a filosofy "you can run but you cant hide from junkfood"
patadeperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:25 PM   #110
oldmanriver1951
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
healthy eating

healthy? on a road trip?..lol but anyway...usually I take along a supply of Logan Bread...homemade hi-protein bread/biscuit/bar...good starter for breakfast, Logan Bread and a cup of coffee or tea and you're good till noon. Light snack for lunch, cheese and slimjim or other meat product...and if camping is done early enough, a quick stop at a local food store for provisions for the evening meal. MRE's are always available for those times not willing to cook or emergencies.

Usually bring along a supply of dehydrated veggies and meat in order to make a batch of soup or stew. On the longer trips I mail ahead to Gen Delivery to certain hub cities, along the lines of the thru hikers on the App Trail.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:45 PM   #111
BmoreBandit
Gnarly something..

Oddometer: 466
Intothenew eats some good meals while road tripping, that's for sure. When it comes to diet, I'm with LasseNC, that's some good advice but it's very hard to hold, traveling or not. One things that comes to mind besides nuts and some fruits is, I load up on beans, some greens and good (portugese) mackarel and sardines in the can. I have a slice of good bread with it or soemthing and it's a good meal...followed by a protein drink for dessert- hey, I like to eat!

A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.. H Thompson
BmoreBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:34 PM   #112
BMW Kurt
Taker of Pictures

Oddometer: 10,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoShots View Post
Any grocery store or higher end convenience store for

or

or

I buy mine at roadside farmer's stands. Can't get any fresher than that.

If I'm near the ocean this is what I get!!! Tuna steak right off the boat!!

BMW Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:42 PM   #113
ricochetrider
a certain something

Oddometer: 1,705
Thumb ya gotta want it

this is an ages-old issue with backpackers and back-country folks who tote their stuff in and out. two big issues are
Weight & Space, as i see it. conquer these issues and the quality issue and bingo. you have something. quality is another thing but many of us have a Wegman's Trader Joe's, or WHole Foods market nearby and if not, most grocers these days have some measure of organic or natural foods section.

it's already been said that nuts and granola, granola bars, etc. are right up there. dried fruits also work. this kind of stuff makes a great breakfast- provides good energy and protein to begin the day.

spices and salt, pepper, etc. pack into function-specific containers you can get in any decent outfitter's store. or if you're a camera nut, use film canisters for spices and such- works like a charm and the lids seal reasonably well. a little spice, adds a lot to what could be an otherwise plain-ish meal.

fresh fruits and vegetables are heavy and can work OK for maybe the first night or two. somethings (whole potatoes maybe?) you might even need a fire for, which isn't always do-able. there are any number of pre-made dishes of rice products, like Zatarain's (New Orleans Style) or even good ol Uncle Ben's. also lots of other types of pre-made dehydrated foods in the same vein as this. many of these are contained in packets inside their boxes, meaning you can break the boxes out and carry only the packets to save both weight and space. label things with a pencil or pen so you'll know what's what, or go with the surprise every night! have fun with it.

as was noted already, things (like cheese) will keep well for days when wrapped up and kept out of the sun. dried meat products like salami or pepperoni also pack small and provide protein or just a plain ol meat fix.a stick of good hard Italian Sausage might last a couple days. a bag of frozen veggies might make it a few days too, kept under the same circumstances as maybe the cheese, depending on the weather.

another difference in how you attain your food (VS carrying it) might depend on whether you're strictly off road or travelling thru cities or towns, farm country or whatever. in the summer out in the country it might be possible to stop at roadside stands to *veggie up* for supper, or to make a pit stop in a local grocery store every day or two. obviously, if you are out on the TAT or somewhere remote, then you gotta tote it along, and get your trash out.

this concept of eating well in remote locations or under weight/space limits didn't just pop up, folks have been doing it for ever.
the biggest thing you need to pull it off?
COMMITMENT to eating well. all else comes after that.
where there's a will, there is most certainly a way.
ricochetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:36 PM   #114
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebes View Post
If I were to eat McJunk
I would think that we could all agree on that aversion, that's a good starting point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Kurt View Post
Tuna steak right off the boat!!
No EVOO!!!!!! It's good to see someone in action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricochetrider View Post
where there's a will, there is most certainly a way.
And, education/assimilation/hints can go a long way too. I have thoroughly enjoyed many of these posts. Martha and I just spent a week on the road. I'm going to try and pull a few of the suggestions made here together in a few posts to follow, with examples I might add.

Moto cuisine does carry some the the hindrance of hiking, but not near the severity. It offers many of the opportunities of cage camping, but not quite as convenient. This is a different cat to skin, and cook.

To the subject of something as "remote" as the TAT, you still run into town for fuel. Groceries, from profuse to minimal, are available almost every night. I always carried/carry a two night provision for the dehydrated epicurious experience.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:00 PM   #115
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Let's have some breakfast. Powdered milk to a boil.

Quinoa in and simmer for about 15 min. Stir in some brown sugar and cinnamon, stir and simmer another 5. Add those blueberries for just a minute or two.

Serve as such. Or add a bit more fresh blueberry, sugar, and cinnamon on top.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:10 PM   #116
rosscoact
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir-Faire View Post

Has anyone used a hotel coffee pot to cook noodles before? Obviously I'm talking about spaghettini, vermicelli, cappellini and the like; nothing short and fat like farfalle or penne as I prefer at home...
was in a conversation about someone who had been to the states and specifically Las Vegas. She asked why the hell in a decent hotel do they not supply a jug so she could have a cuppa.

I answered "pot noodles".

She assumed I was talking about chinese tourists, so I recounted this story.

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:19 PM   #117
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

This one I had intended for a light lunch, but it turned into an hors d'oeuvre. We were running from the rain. I had to buy the blackberries frozen, turned out to give them a little time to thaw.

Squeeze a full lime, and stir in a little sugar and ginger powder. Drizzle that over that dissected nectarine and the berries.

Served after the tarp went up.

intothenew screwed with this post 09-26-2011 at 12:45 PM
Old 09-28-2011, 10:40 PM   #118
mujiburrahman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Riding in indonesia you would probably eat rice noodles eggs fish chicken

My recommendation to eat on the road in indonesia is fired rice or noodles, nasi padang, chicken sate and fish
These are the most common things to find on the road.
mujiburrahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:08 AM   #119
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Martha's stew

As has been mentioned, easy to fix and never the same way twice.

The hors d'oeuvre.

Martha starts trimming.

Trim the pig as lean as you like, Martha plays by Emeril's rules. A green pepper was all she could buy single that day, a kids snack pack of carrots, one potato, half that bunch of onions, and half of that green pepper. Salt, pepper, and basil round it out. Give it at least 45 minutes after the start of simmer.

Flat bread on the fire, and warm the plates.

And served by candlelight with a salad.

She doesn't miss a thing, dessert.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:05 AM   #120
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,668
You call that healthy ???

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"