User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2011, 04:53 AM   #1
BigHerm OP
What Would Merle Do

Oddometer: 622
1961 BMW R60 questions?

May have made a strong barn find. I found a 1961 BMW R60. Never molested, all original. Here is the kicker, ORIGINAL OWNER!!! It needs tires, battery, and a carb clean. My friend, who is also my mechanic, said he will help me getting her to run. Also I have storage space so adding her to the herd is not an issue there.
Questions:
1. Am I getting in way over my head? This bike is 50 yrs old.
2. Can I still get parts for this bike? I looked online and it appears I can
3. What do you think this bike is worth?

Thanks for your help
BigHerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:22 AM   #2
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
Surely you know by now that if people knew where you live, your house would be pelted with flaming paper bags of dog poop by now for not posting pictures. Just saying.

Some folks would tell you to totally dismantle the bike to replace all gaskets and rubber bits, grease all the bearings (including swingarms), clean slingers, etc.
I would recommend soaking the whole lump in good oil for a week, fluch with something like kerosine, and see what happens. Yeah- get the lump in a washtub or the bottom of a garbage can and fill the whole thing with oil.
Those Bings are easy to take apart. You want CLEAN. There's even a special chaser for just one... crap; I forget technical words. It's the bit that you tighen down and then back out a couple turns. If those threads are dirty, you can tell when it touches down and you end up mashing on it and messing up the jet. There's a chaser for that- I think because it's a really weird size.

Get a new air filter and look for signs that critters have been nesting. (I'd bet a nickel they have been) New tires/rubes of course. A proper battery, brushes, points et al...

After your attempt to plump up gaskets and bits, I'd give it a shot. As much as you'll probably be riding it, that may work.

"Worth" is no way of knowing yet. As is, you could probably get $5K is the cosmetics are good. Later is totally unknowable until you know what's what. Maybe $6 tp $10K?

Oh- parts. Mostly yes, some no, unless you find them from privae sources. I got a fender "new" from some dump in Eastern Eurpe that later look like acid was dumped on it. The fender turned out to be made by welding pieces together, smothering in bondo, and painting. Looked good for a year. Better to find original bits if you need them. NOT CHEAP.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:54 AM   #3
squiffynimrod
maximum shrinkage

Oddometer: 1,068
Your answers, sir...................

1) It's an airhead. It's easy to wrench. If you've got modest wrenching skills and can follow a manual you can do it.

2) You can get virtually every part. Some NOS, some OEM, some used, some knock-off. Don't worry about parts.

3) It's worth less than the money you'll put in fixing it. You could put 10K in to restoring it and get 8K. Who knows? Just depends on what the market will bear.
It's worth exactly what it sells for when you do.

Just get it. If you don't fix it someone will. But get it out of the barn and in to some loving hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHerm View Post
May have made a strong barn find. I found a 1961 BMW R60. Never molested, all original. Here is the kicker, ORIGINAL OWNER!!! It needs tires, battery, and a carb clean. My friend, who is also my mechanic, said he will help me getting her to run. Also I have storage space so adding her to the herd is not an issue there.
Questions:
1. Am I getting in way over my head? This bike is 50 yrs old.
2. Can I still get parts for this bike? I looked online and it appears I can
3. What do you think this bike is worth?

Thanks for your help
Old 02-09-2011, 07:07 AM   #4
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,582
Worth bucks, for sure, in any condition... that sounds like it has great potential. There are a couple of excellent threads here on Old School that you should read.

Buy it, then read. Do not delay.

danedg and datchew 's threads will give you lots of insight, opinion, etc.

If you buy it, you will join the legions of Slash 2 riders who know that it is a lovely ride, makes sounds that will stir your soul, and you will be forever.... addicted. I know, I had one (that I had to sell )....

Parts are readily available: look up Hucky and Vech, read up on Duane Ausherman's site, there is a wealth of knowledge. Oh, and go buy the new book by Barrington Motor Works: priceless compilation of fifty years of experience.

Just .... DO IT
Old 02-09-2011, 07:14 AM   #5
tennessee thumper
now in Mt. View, AR

Oddometer: 634
I bought a 62 R60 about 15 years ago, probably in similar shape. It was an expensive proposition getting it back to road worthy condition.
I did ride and tour on it for about 3 years and enjoyed the feel of riding such a vintage machine.

Depending on your buy in price and how much you need to spend to get it roadworthy you still may end up breaking even should you decide to sell it later. I did...I got in on mine via a trad for a 67 Chrysler Newport with I paid $1800 for. It was a good running car.

$2000 later the /2 was running but still needed transmission work. I paid for a new top end and slinger service, plus LOTS of parts.

Sold it for $4000 and came out even all things considered.

Parts are there but pricey. You could spend thousands getting it set up the way you want or you may get lucky and have a relativley small investment to get up to speed. Odd are its the former.

I think you'd want to spend no more than $2000-$3000 from the sounds of it but I have not priced these bikes much in the past 15 years.

That was my experience.
tennessee thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:36 AM   #6
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,582
Hard to find one in any worthwhile condition for less than $5k these days... check out IBMWR Vintage and the BMWMOA Vintage lists.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:24 AM   #7
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,294
So how much do you have to pay for it? That might make this decision a lot easier!
Old 02-09-2011, 08:26 AM   #8
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,294
Why I ask is, people these days, because of all the auction shows on tele, THINK EVERYTHING vintage is worth an arm and a leg even if it needs a total restoration or a motor trans rebuild! The fact it is an all original bike (unlikely) and THE original owner (probably) helps in presteige, but not in what it is worth. Good luck and buy it if the price s right.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:27 AM   #9
BigHerm OP
What Would Merle Do

Old 02-09-2011, 08:46 AM   #10
tennessee thumper
now in Mt. View, AR

2K is a good price.

Also, I see you are called Big Herm...these bikes are small. Depending on your size you may have leg clearance issues at the handle bars. I have a buddy who at 6-6 could not comfortably ride a /2, knees where way high up there near the bars.

Not to mention you may look somewhat odd riding around on it...as if that matters though.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:55 AM   #11
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,163
I'd say buy it. You can always get your money back in parts alone, but it's good to keep them together. Check the numbers located on the steering head plate and above the pushrod tubes on the left side of the engine. Matching #'s are good. Pull the dipstick and check for water in the oil. Shine a flashlight in the gas tank, look for rust. If it hasn't rust and it has oil, put some gas in it and push the wierd key in on the headlight. Open the petcock. Push the kickstart down in a swift authoratative way...
It'll probably start...
It doesn't need a battery to start or run.
The guy who owned my bike was 6 6, rode it for 15 years, my cousin is 6 4, it's all he rides...
danedg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:06 AM   #12
tennessee thumper
now in Mt. View, AR

I stand corrected on the size issue.... I know my buddy had a hard time with it.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:09 AM   #13
BigHerm OP
What Would Merle Do

BigHerm is more a name, Im about 6 or 6' 1". Ever see Friday the movie???
Old 02-09-2011, 09:14 AM   #14
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,163
a picture is worth a thousand words....

Oh yeah, it's not the years...it's the miles. What does the odometer say?
danedg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:16 AM   #15
BigHerm OP
What Would Merle Do

why do you want to see a picture of me???

joking, Ill post them as soon as I have them.