Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2011, 04:42 PM   #31
BigHerm OP
What Would Merle Do

Oddometer: 622
here is the truth - the deal came to me second hand. My mechanic friend sold the guy a lift and saw the bike. He told me it was a 61 R60 that could be had for 2k. I finally talked with the son of the original owner today. He told me it is a 1961 R69s. Top end redone by Barrington Motorworks here in the Chicago area, stored with oil and gas drained. Bings have been rebuilt and put back on but never started. He is a harley guy and not into the work for this bike. Im going sat to look at it. I will have photos. You can believe what you want. I wanted to talk to "experts" before I waste time or money.

And your comment about my price range, we all have a point we walk away from the table, be realistic.
BigHerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:56 PM   #32
elmontanero
Practicing...

Oddometer: 1,602
Sorry I have nothing much to offer as far as advice, but maybe a little in perspective. I don't own one, but someday hope to... Out here in Cali, they don't come cheap.

In general, most folks look very lovingly at the /2 bikes. Add that it's an r69s and we get a bit "grailish" about the things. There's so many variables to price: condition, condition, condition... on top of that because it's a heartstrings bike for some of us we'd probably overspend or get over our head on a restoration... grudgingly but willingly.

So we're all tuning in to see those pics and find out what someday, some of us will hopefully find ourselves in your position. I follow up every lead I get on r50's to r69's hoping to find something I'll be able to afford and afford to ride.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:57 PM   #33
Carl

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwloco View Post
This is the God's Truth.

I know where there is a gathering of R69S BMWs that is unparalleled. When the garage door was opened, there were 6 staring me in the face, perfect. Beyond a door, 30 more. All R69S...

And the house was full of replacement parts. Fenders, handlebars, exhaust, gas tanks, all NOS.

And I am not telling where. Nyah nyah nyah.

Sooner or later they will trickle into the market. Maybe.
I saw it many years ago. You'll have to stand in line for any of it. I've heard plenty of people say they expect to get a piece of that pie.

The owner of that stash plans to be around for awhile and not to unload any of it. Don't hold your breath for it.

Carl

Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:08 PM   #34
bmwloco
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,180
I expect or want nothing, just to stand in awe of it all.

I have all I need!
Airhead #371
bmwloco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:13 PM   #35
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
I wonder why people hoard stuff like that? Power tripping? Nothing else going for them? Just nuts?

Anyhoo, Herm (may I call you "Herm"?) .
The wet mop was just a mental shtick. I was whopping you up-side the head- in my mind. I'm starting to realise you really don't know- I thought this was kind of a joke. Sorry.

Couple of easy things to look for to see if it IS an "S"; 2 fins (more like raised parallel lines) on the valve covers. The front cover should have a slightly rised bulge in the middle to accomodate a vibration dampener inside. The R60 just has regular fins on the valve covers.

Despite not running, which is a big qualm, I would offer up to $4K from what I'm picturing. Only if you want to have the bike and ride it. Otherwise, that's about what you could get for the parts; parting out a bike can be a money-making deal, but it sure is a laborious PITA.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:28 PM   #36
ausfahrt
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHerm View Post
here is the truth - the deal came to me second hand. My mechanic friend sold the guy a lift and saw the bike. He told me it was a 61 R60 that could be had for 2k. I finally talked with the son of the original owner today. He told me it is a 1961 R69s. Top end redone by Barrington Motorworks here in the Chicago area, stored with oil and gas drained. Bings have been rebuilt and put back on but never started. He is a harley guy and not into the work for this bike. Im going sat to look at it. I will have photos. You can believe what you want. I wanted to talk to "experts" before I waste time or money.

And your comment about my price range, we all have a point we walk away from the table, be realistic.
I was in a similar spot last year and I went for it. I am still slowly working on getting my R75 running and thoroughly enjoying the process even if it is costing more than I had anticipated. I don't regret my decision for a second and I think that when you go to see the bike that your "gut" will tell you what to do.

I am probably going to be in the minority here but when you get it, don't to a complete restoration. Just clean it up and make it mechanically sound. I love old bikes that run well and show their battle scars.

Good luck!

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:32 AM   #37
BigHerm OP
What Would Merle Do

photos

heres 1
Attached Images

Old 02-10-2011, 05:36 AM   #38
BigHerm OP
What Would Merle Do

heres 2
Attached Images

Old 02-10-2011, 06:58 AM   #39
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,645
In any kind of startable condition, which it certainly sounds like and looks like (images are too small ) that bike is worth far far more than the 2 that is getting thrown about, or even the 4... The R69S is THE bike of the Slash 2 crowd.

Go for it, as said above, your heart will tell you what to do. And this IS a heart bike

Old 02-10-2011, 07:28 AM   #40
BigHerm OP
What Would Merle Do

trying to repost photos in another form.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:14 AM   #41
ausfahrt
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,686
Even with the small pics...the word "stolen" comes to mind.

Congrats.

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #42
Merle O'Broham
too beaucoup

Oddometer: 1,625

Merle O'Broham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:06 PM   #43
BigHerm OP
What Would Merle Do

Thx
Old 02-10-2011, 05:06 PM   #44
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,408
don't mess about. BUY THAT BIKE

IF it's even double the 2k # you're throwing around, buy it.

BUY BUY BUY IT IT IT.

Hell I'll give you 2k for it if you're worried you won't get your money back out of it.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:12 PM   #45
elite-less
As above, so below

Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by datchew View Post
BUY BUY BUY IT IT IT.
what he said x25
elite-less is online now   Reply With Quote