ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2015, 08:00 PM   #1
silverdog OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
Magruder Road ?

Anyone know about snow levels? If it like most of northwest not a lot of snow pak..

Wondering if it might be passable mid June this year?
silverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:25 PM   #2
Brokein2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Call the Ranger Station...

Red River Ranger District, 208-842-2245

Then let us know.
'14 R1200GS
Brokein2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:35 PM   #3
onewoodsrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
I actually spoke to them the other day about a ride in early June. He stated that as of right now you would run into some snow in June but could still make it. Stated that the snow would be frozen on the road in the morning and thaw on the sides of the road mid day. But weather can always change lol.
onewoodsrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:53 AM   #4
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,032
I want to trailer my little dual sport over there behind my truck camper to explore the area. Looking for suggestions on a place to camp that's not far off the pavement near the west end of Magruder.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:21 AM   #5
HellsAlien
a has-been that never-was

Oddometer: 2,407
Huge,

Start with Elk City, that is last stop for gas/groceries on the west end. There are camps there and down the road towards the "start" of the Magruder road climb. It's about 150 miles through to gas in Darby, MT.

Also check out the Best of Montana 1K thread; Timmer and others there have logged a lot of relevant places in the area.
HellsAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:15 AM   #6
TheAdmiral
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post
I want to trailer my little dual sport over there behind my truck camper to explore the area. Looking for suggestions on a place to camp that's not far off the pavement near the west end of Magruder.
How close to the start of Magruder road? Elk City close, or close close?

If very close, there is a campground about 4 miles up Red River Rd from the turn off at the Red River Ranger Station. It's less than a 1/2 mile from Red River Ranger Station to the start of Magruder road.

Another option, but is more primitive than the campground, little over 1/2 mile past the start of the Magruder is an old logging road on the left if heading south toward Dixie. Not sure of the number. There is a turn around in a ways, but can't remember how level it is.

In my opinion the first several miles of Magruder is the normal forest service road, i.e. kind of boring. However, there are a couple trailheads up the road I think you could easily get a small trailer too. I've see 5th wheel horse trailers parked there and I think the road is wide and good enough should you meet oncoming traffic. First one is 14 Mile Tree I believe, ah about 14 miles in, but you get most of the "I can't see past the tree's on the side of the road" part out of the way. There is another spot about 17 miles in. Granite Creek CG?

I think I took picture's of the camp area's up the Magruder (for future reference and memory loss purpose's), but I'd have to look them up later today if these appeal to your camping needs.

The first two spots mentioned might be on video, but that's questionable.

If you haven't been before, the Magruder is well worth it. And don't forget to take and/or allow some side trips off the Magruder. Green Mtn lookout and Burnt Knob lookout. Burnt Knot LO road is very very rough. Green Mtn, not as bad, but this has been a few years ago. I do have a memory problem, as in a few years later the rides were either very easy or very hard. Nothing in between!

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:35 AM   #7
HellsAlien
a has-been that never-was

Oddometer: 2,407
Burnt Knob LO is a rough "road!" The group thought we were heroes riding up there on big ADV bikes until we told 'em we ditched all our bags in the bushes at the bottom!

Would be big fun on a small bike, great views weather permitting.
HellsAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:54 AM   #8
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post

If your going up with a camper and you want to ride around and explore that is what I did last fall. I stayed at Red River Campground, really nice... 4 miles up is Red River Hot Springs resort. there are also some free camping along this road but I liked this place, clean, potable water new tables and fire rings! Elk City is about a 20 minute drive and the "The Store" has everything you need.

There are a but load of trails and old mining roads to explore in that area.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/nezpe...16636&actid=29

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:25 AM   #9
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,032
Thanks for all the tips.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:14 PM   #10
Phoenix101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
my 2 cents... the Magruder is disappointing... the LoLo trail is more fun to ride... but like opinions and ass holes... everyone has one

Phoenix101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:33 PM   #11
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 1,318
You never know if, when you can run the Magruder, Snow, slides, fires....
Always check before entering.

The Magruder runs over 8,000 feet. There will be snow in June. The real question is will the trees be cleared?

I agree, the technicality of the Lolo (it runs pretty high up on a long set of ridges) is better than the Magruder, but the allure of "no bailout" (which the Lolo has a couple in 120 miles), still makes the Magruder interesting and unique.

But why limit your fun? Run them both together. Less than 450 miles, two nights loop.

My October solo Lolo/Magruder ride.

HellsAlien's 950 on Burnt Knob, along with Larry's Vstrom and my KLR (with full luggage

HellsAlien at the lookout:
Old 05-15-2015, 11:03 PM   #12
ObiJohn
Screaming Banshee

Oddometer: 603
Can Magruder and/or Lolo be ridden on OHVs (non-street legal bikes or ATVs)?
Old 05-16-2015, 06:15 AM   #13
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix101 View Post
my 2 cents... the Magruder is disappointing... the LoLo trail is more fun to ride... but like opinions and ass holes... everyone has one
Might be dissappointing from a hard rider's POV, but it is spectacular to see.
Magruder is better to spend time on...off the bike also

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiJohn View Post
Can Magruder and/or Lolo be ridden on OHVs (non-street legal bikes or ATVs)?
Yes, until you hit pavement on the Darby side.
Darby town allows OHV also.
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 09:21 PM   #14
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,478
This Asshole Agrees..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix101 View Post

Not only is the riding more varied but the views are in my opinion much better on the Lolo...I found the Magruder to be more of a "4 wheeler" stomping ground that a wilderness experience....

But hey, I could be wrong.

Phil
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:56 AM   #15
Ironwood
Friday Harbor, WA

Oddometer: 759
I rode both trails at separate times in the last couple of years. I rode the Magruder fully loaded 1-up on a 2001 Tiger. I rode the Motorway fully loaded 2-up on the same bike. I can't say the Motorway was any more difficult, but certainly more interesting in that you had to steer and react more often. I liked the Magruder more for the isolation and wilderness nature of the area but both were unforgettable to me. I will ride them both again soon.