ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 08:35 PM   #2836
WhereTheHellIsJames?
Adventurer
 
WhereTheHellIsJames?'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by XB12R View Post
James, good hearing from you. Did you ever get the new Norton?
Hey Stranger- sure has been a while! After my deposit turned 3 years old, I pulled the plug and got the $ back. I got tired of hearing "they should be here Q3... then it was Q4... then Q1 or 2 next year... then Q3 again... then Q4 again" ...and it just kept going like that, and I kinda got over it. I've got a small frame Guzzi that I've been putting together for the last few months, and at the moment am in the market for a nice plated dirt bike- something that's already plated in Oregon, or that could be, without a lot of hassle. A late 2000's 450 EXC-R would work just fine, or maybe a late model 350 EXC-F... keep me in mind if you hear of something. Also looking for another TW200.

Been a while since I've been to this thread- mostly because it makes me miss riding in the greater Gorge area- but it's nice to see the action, and to be riding around there vicariously through the posts that I see here. If all goes according to plan, I should be back in the area around this time next year! Watch out too- it's been 3 years of almost no off pavement for me! (I know- its a sin)

WhereTheHellIsJames? screwed with this post 04-10-2014 at 08:40 PM
WhereTheHellIsJames? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:27 PM   #2837
MadChap
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MadChap's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Out of Prison
Oddometer: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereTheHellIsJames? View Post
and at the moment am in the market for a nice plated dirt bike- something that's already plated in Oregon, or that could be, without a lot of hassle. A late 2000's 450 EXC-R would work just fine, or maybe a late model 350 EXC-F... keep me in mind if you hear of something. Also looking for another TW200.

Yesterday there was a 1996 DR350SE with less than 1000 miles for $1600 on the Bend, OR craigslist.
MadChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:04 AM   #2838
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC
 
Craig McCurdy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Hood River, Oregon
Oddometer: 1,429
Post Canyon is nice, starting to dry up a little.





They are much bigger in person (The Rocks)!


Craig McCurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:29 AM   #2839
mikeinhoodriver
Mike Garrett
 
mikeinhoodriver's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: Hood River, Oregon
Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig McCurdy View Post
Post Canyon is nice, starting to dry up a little. They are much bigger in person (The Rocks)!
Craig, what trails were you riding yesterday? boardforever and I did Neal Creek, Powerlines, Bald Mountain, and Red Gate. Pretty fun, great weather!
Attached Images
 
mikeinhoodriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:52 PM   #2840
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC
 
Craig McCurdy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Hood River, Oregon
Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinhoodriver View Post
Craig, what trails were you riding yesterday? boardforever and I did Neal Creek, Powerlines, Bald Mountain, and Red Gate. Pretty fun, great weather!
Well, to the best that I can remember we started on North end of 130 then went off the map for a bit on some stuff that's not on the map. Back to 130 then 133 to the bottom of 170 all the way to the top. Then we took 197 all the way to the South end of Kingsley Res. After that I had to just run back to the house!
Craig McCurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:01 PM   #2841
mikeinhoodriver
Mike Garrett
 
mikeinhoodriver's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: Hood River, Oregon
Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig McCurdy View Post
Well, to the best that I can remember we started on North end of 130 then went off the map for a bit on some stuff that's not on the map. Back to 130 then 133 to the bottom of 170 all the way to the top. Then we took 197 all the way to the South end of Kingsley Res. After that I had to just run back to the house!

suhwheet. I will look for you out there.
mikeinhoodriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:09 AM   #2842
Apple Jam OP
Forest Flyer
 
Apple Jam's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Mt Hood mud flow
Oddometer: 6,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinhoodriver View Post
Craig, what trails were you riding yesterday? boardforever and I did Neal Creek, Powerlines, Bald Mountain, and Red Gate. Pretty fun, great weather!
I made it up Bald Mt twice last week; Tuesday & Thursday !
Here is Tuesday, still a bit overcast...




My house is near the top/middle of the upper valley's ancient mudflow




Thursday evening, Detritivores and I rode for a couple hours, he on his new DR650, me on Mustangshelly's DR200.
We were on Bald Peak right smack at Sunset.
It was clear and beautiful, and as good as a view gets.
My phone (camera) battery was DEAD


We still got stopped by snow on 1711 about 1/2 mile short of the green gate, trying to get to John's Mill and Mill Creek.

__________________
..
"got no problem with keeping truly roadless areas as wild....
On the other hand, if it has been logged or mined and roads already exist,,
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:47 PM   #2843
boardforever
Gnarly Adventurer
 
boardforever's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Hood River Valley
Oddometer: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
me on Mustangshelly's DR200.
Did you come up from Pinemont or from the powerlines?

That is a pretty steep rocky trail from the powerlines for the 200 isn't it?
__________________
1999 DR350SE
2006 Kawasaki ZZR600 [sold]
boardforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:17 PM   #2844
XB12R
Beastly Adventurer
 
XB12R's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Zillah WA, The Dalles OR
Oddometer: 1,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post
I was at a loss, but after some study, I finally noticed the HDGATT pants.
I've been trying to rehabilitate this HD rider years but I just can't get the ass less chaps away from him.
__________________
2010 BMW R1200GS, 2010 Ducati Monster 1100S, 2011 WR250R, 1985 Beta TR32, 1968 BSA 441 Victor Special
XB12R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:29 AM   #2845
12120
Indenturedx5
 
12120's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: SW Washington USA
Oddometer: 369
road info

So first off, does Bennet pass go all the way over the hill around Badger Lake and back to Bonney Meadows rd? Second will it be passible from snow etc.. by the Barlow gig? I was thinking Lookout Mt. to the 48 on the way to camp. Anyone know if the route will work? Be clear etc..

Chris
__________________
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics are wrong.
'83 XL 600r
12120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:03 PM   #2846
Apple Jam OP
Forest Flyer
 
Apple Jam's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Mt Hood mud flow
Oddometer: 6,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12120 View Post
So first off, does Bennet pass go all the way over the hill around Badger Lake and back to Bonney Meadows rd? Second will it be passible from snow etc.. by the Barlow gig? I was thinking Lookout Mt. to the 48 on the way to camp. Anyone know if the route will work? Be clear etc..

Chris
Yes, Bennett Pass and Bonney Meadows are the roads you want to get to Barlow. They are both most excellent Wilderness edge/border old non-graveled two track. Maybe free of snow by then this year, but often not,...We'll hafta let you know
__________________
..
"got no problem with keeping truly roadless areas as wild....
On the other hand, if it has been logged or mined and roads already exist,,
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:52 PM   #2847
Detritivores
...
 
Detritivores's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Location: Columbia Gorge, OR
Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardforever View Post
That is a pretty steep rocky trail from the powerlines for the 200 isn't it?
AJ had no trouble on the 200. Me and the 650 on the other hand...
Detritivores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:40 PM   #2848
boardforever
Gnarly Adventurer
 
boardforever's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Hood River Valley
Oddometer: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detritivores View Post
AJ had no trouble on the 200. Me and the 650 on the other hand...
The first time I rode up there I think it took me 3 or 4 tries and a broken turn signal to get to the top this time made it up on the first try
__________________
1999 DR350SE
2006 Kawasaki ZZR600 [sold]
boardforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:28 PM   #2849
12120
Indenturedx5
 
12120's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: SW Washington USA
Oddometer: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
Yes, Bennett Pass and Bonney Meadows are the roads you want to get to Barlow. They are both most excellent Wilderness edge/border old non-graveled two track. Maybe free of snow by then this year, but often not,...We'll hafta let you know
Do please let me know. Going buggy eyed plotting on google earth. Would they be normal 4 tired type vehicle passible? I might have a chase vehicle with me.

Chris
__________________
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics are wrong.
'83 XL 600r
12120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:53 AM   #2850
Squishy
Positively charged
 
Squishy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Portland, PNW.
Oddometer: 1,226
Hey Chris, if you're talking about using it to get to the Barlow campout at the end of May, this is what we discovered last year on the Friday ride heading into Bonnie from the south end:


So...although i went up through it on the small bike for a ways, it was tough going. Usually when they first become passable to our bikes, they are still impassable to regular cars, rugged 4X4's...probably.
It's usually because of drifts on only a few shady corners, which we can squeeze by on 1 edge, the other side is still 3 ft deep!

If i'm available i might take a pre ride closer to the time & post a report & pics.
__________________
Tasty.....like fish and chips tasty
Squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014