ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2014, 09:43 AM   #3016
XB12R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,105
Who went on the Walhalla rally?

For those of you that have done Hess Road and Dug Bar. How do those rides compare with some of our local rides like Free Bridge, Dalles Mountain Road and Suicide Grade? I was at the rally, it was my first time and I ended up on roads that a school buss could have done. I'm disappointed I missed the more technical roads. I normally would ride the GS there but would be willing to take the little WR.

If Hess or Dug Bar are somewhat of a challenge I wouldn't be opposed to going there later this year.

Thanks.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:50 AM   #3017
Squishy
Positively charged

Oddometer: 1,014
I'm going to try & take the family for a weekend camp to Wallowa Lake...might just have to throw the 400 in too. Will give you a heads up which weekend.
Squishy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:53 PM   #3018
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by XB12R View Post
For those of you that have done Hess Road and Dug Bar. How do those rides compare with some of our local rides like Free Bridge, Dalles Mountain Road and Suicide Grade? I was at the rally, it was my first time and I ended up on roads that a school buss could have done. I'm disappointed I missed the more technical roads. I normally would ride the GS there but would be willing to take the little WR.

If Hess or Dug Bar are somewhat of a challenge I wouldn't be opposed to going there later this year.

Thanks.
I've done Dug & Hess on the 950 but I've done both on my 450 also. If your not comfortable taking the GS down and up Free Bridge take the WR! If you have gearing for a nice top speed of 55 to 65 on the WR you'll be fine. You have some good miles to get to the stuff that the WR will be better on. Also, don't miss Camp Creek.
Craig McCurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:04 PM   #3019
XB12R
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig McCurdy View Post
I've done Dug & Hess on the 950 but I've done both on my 450 also. If your not comfortable taking the GS down and up Free Bridge take the WR! If you have gearing for a nice top speed of 55 to 65 on the WR you'll be fine. You have some good miles to get to the stuff that the WR will be better on. Also, don't miss Camp Creek.
I've done Free Bridge on the GS no problem. I want to make Hess and Dug on the same bike. Most likely I'll be by myself so I want to avoid any potential problems. If I take the WR I'd have no concerns except for packing all my shit on that little bike. I wish I would have done these while I was there.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:02 PM   #3020
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC

Quote:
I've done Free Bridge on the GS no problem. I want to make Hess and Dug on the same bike. Most likely I'll be by myself so I want to avoid any potential problems. If I take the WR I'd have no concerns except for packing all my shit on that little bike. I wish I would have done these while I was there.

Let's see, Dug has softballs on parts of it (maybe/sometimes) going down the last section to the river. Hess does not give me as much concern going up, down could be another story! Same for Dug on a GS, the going down is going to be the fun part and going up will seem easy! If you go much later than now just watch the heat on the trip into Dug.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:22 PM   #3021
MadChap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
I've gone up Hess twice on my DR350, easy peasy. My cousin was on his GS 800, without issue. I would ride my vstrom up it now that I've lowered the gearing.
MadChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:18 PM   #3022
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadChap View Post
I've gone up Hess twice on my DR350, easy peasy. My cousin was on his GS 800, without issue. I would ride my vstrom up it now that I've lowered the gearing.
Notice how the word "UP" is used repeatedly! I would take my 950 down it but that's just me. I would not take someone down it unless I knew their ability level and had a good sense of humor!
Old 06-22-2014, 06:49 PM   #3023
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,664
Quote:
For those of you that have done Hess Road and Dug Bar.
Either road would be fun on either bike. After talking to you at Lear's, I doubt either would be much of a challenge for you, but you should have a good time, just the same.

I have done both on my 950, and had a good time on them.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:52 PM   #3024
XB12R
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig McCurdy View Post
Notice how the word "UP" is used repeatedly! I would take my 950 down it but that's just me. I would not take someone down it unless I knew their ability level and had a good sense of humor!
I should have used Hedges Grade as a comparison also. I took my WR down it with no issues so I'm sure going up would be a snap. I would be at my limit with my GS up or down. So if Hess or Dug is anything like Hedges I'll take the WR.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:28 PM   #3025
Motoguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
I am heading to Athena, Oregon to ride the infamous Bad Rock ride for Hodaka Days, which I do every year. I'm planning on leaving Hodaka Days and heading over to the Madras/Prineville area and heading from there to do a 3 to 4 day dual sport ride.

I have an enclosed trailer that will have three vintage Hodaka's that I need a secure place to leave them while I'm out on the ride. I was going to go to a campground and leave my truck and trailer there, but it seems too risky.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Motoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:07 PM   #3026
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoguy View Post
...three vintage Hodaka's...
Pics, we need pics!

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:17 PM   #3027
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,653
Quote:
I should have used Hedges Grade as a comparison also. I took my WR down it with no issues so I'm sure going up would be a snap. I would be at my limit with my GS up or down. So if Hess or Dug is anything like Hedges I'll take the WR.
XB, after riding with you on that Hedges Grade, you'll be find on either bike. Dug Bar is way easier than Suicide Grade, it's just a lot longer (Minimum 6 hour round trip, and probably longer if you aren't pushing it). Rode up Hess Road for the first time this past weekend and it's a lot of fun. Very steep in sections, but much better roadbed than Hedges, but the worse sections are probably 6 times as long. Riding down Hess, I'd be sure to take my time and disengage the ABS! While you are there you might as well add Klineschmidt Grade in there as well (Idaho side, near bottom of Hess Road). It's easier than all the above, but another great road as well.

Also, after riding the WR all the way out there and back, I'd take the GS so as to cover the distance in comfort. If taking the long route and visiting other sites in Oregon that are worthy of a more dirt bike, then the WR may be a better choice. That little bike can take quite a bit of abuse and climbs like a goat. The long drones on the hwy suck though.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:48 PM   #3028
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Oddometer: 1,637
Short little ride this afternoon getting Kirsten comfortable on her new to her ride. Today was her second outing and she's doing great. Rode up Pinemont and up under the high voltage lines. She said she was up for the challenge and I guess she was! She handled the rocky sections with ease.

After I got up on the flats I started to run back to get a photo of her riding up the steepest section but she was too fast for me! I could tell right away she was all smiles.

She's really digging it!

I think she might be wishing we had brought the klx to Enterprise rather than the paddleboard.

Might need to do something about that small fuel tank next.
findLadukebob
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:23 PM   #3029
HellsAlien
a has-been that never-was

Oddometer: 2,211
AJ,

Today, was at the slide we roped your bike down a couple years ago. Me, Gshm KTM and other good FF's fixed/reroute the trail good. Have to see it to believe it.

PS, don't tell Rashie!

"Bad roads, good people. Good roads, bad people." Mama Espinoza
“Ride first, tart second. Sorry bro but that’s the way it has to be.” Cbrit, 2008
“You gas it where I brake!” trackday passenger, Thunderhill, 2005
HellsAlien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:25 PM   #3030
NotAllWhoWanderRLost
Lost

Oddometer: 422
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladukebob View Post
Looks like you two had a great afternoon for a ride! It's great to see Kirsten is enjoying her bike. I think the smile says it all!
NotAllWhoWanderRLost is offline   Reply With Quote