ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2014, 08:07 PM   #3121
spova
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Talking Bridge closed

Oh ya the bridges where a bit sketchy. I dismounted and poked around on foot before crossing. Its very clear they are closed when you approach from the south side. It looks like there was a bypass that 4x4s are using but I don't really know. I just used the bridges and didn't go back to check out the other roads, next time maybe.
spova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:34 PM   #3122
CatFlap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
That little road on the south end of the bridges that goes to the right just ends in an area where there are sometimes a bunch of beehives set up.
The one to the left goes down to the creek/river the bridges go over and is not cross-able. Years ago people used to drive across the creek down there. But a few years back they layed a bunch of large logs down there and tried to fix the area up. And keep people from crossing it.

A bunch of the other little spurs off of that go various places. Some short to just a big mud puddle. Some have creek crossings and just go to high tension towers.
One has a bit of a nasty rock crawl.

All of that down there I'd bet the FS would rather people don't go down....... But it seems to get over grown faster than anyone bothers to anyway, so as long as they don't see things getting torn up they seem to let it slide. Seem to, no guarantee on what the conversation would go like if a rare ranger encounter happened while poking around.
And other than the attempt to close off the bridges, they never close it off even though they could. There are gates at either end that I remember used to be closed a lot seasonally back in the 90's but have been open all the time the last several years.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:29 PM   #3123
Squishy
Positively charged

Oddometer: 1,088
The Indians own it apparently, I stopped at the end of 1 of the spur roads while the contractor was there, they said they were contracted by the indians to make a fish habitat all through there, & were busy putting in the vertical snags. The Salmon were running & i was amazed how big the fish were & how far they had migrated. Seems to be looking more fish friendly now.
Squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:28 AM   #3124
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Oddometer: 1,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy View Post
The Indians own it apparently, I stopped at the end of 1 of the spur roads while the contractor was there, they said they were contracted by the indians to make a fish habitat all through there, & were busy putting in the vertical snags. The Salmon were running & i was amazed how big the fish were & how far they had migrated. Seems to be looking more fish friendly now.

I don't think they own it but the Confederated Tribes of the Warm Springs fund a lot of those types of projects. I've been involved a several projects where they were the major contributor all the way from river rehab to new fish screens. For instance if a irrigation pipe project can show that by replacing a leaking canal with pipe keeps more water in the host stream for fish there's a good chance they'll help fund the project.

findLadukebob
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:21 AM   #3125
Squishy
Positively charged

Oddometer: 1,088
That makes more sense. What was I thinking.
Squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:57 AM   #3126
tblume
deus ex machina

Oddometer: 1,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post
What?

WhadImiss?
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=3112

pay attention hippy!
Old 08-15-2014, 11:50 AM   #3127
Mustangshelly
Adventurer...hardly

Oddometer: 537
The bridges

are fiiiiine Nothing sketchy about 'em. The decking is simply "broken in" properly. I think the cement barriers are a deterrent for the city slickers in their shiny "SUVs."
Mustangshelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:18 PM   #3128
Ramanonos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Hi, just sold my Thruxton an 89 R100gs in fighting shape. I live in Hood River and just found this thread. I did a break-in ride from Kingsley out dead-point and nf-2820 and back up 281. Other than that, it's been a couple decades since I had 2 wheels on dirt. The r100gs handles pretty well for a fat heavy bike, but I'd rather ease in gradually, but still have fun. Any good suggested routes near me: combo pavement and dirt forest roads?
Ramanonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:50 PM   #3129
XB12R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramanonos View Post
Hi, just sold my Thruxton an 89 R100gs in fighting shape. I live in Hood River and just found this thread. I did a break-in ride from Kingsley out dead-point and nf-2820 and back up 281. Other than that, it's been a couple decades since I had 2 wheels on dirt. The r100gs handles pretty well for a fat heavy bike, but I'd rather ease in gradually, but still have fun. Any good suggested routes near me: combo pavement and dirt forest roads?
Old Dalles mountain Road between Hood River and The Dalles. Free Bridge. Mill Creek through the water shed for starts.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:21 PM   #3130
Ramanonos
Adventurer

Thanks. I'll checks those out. I just did Gillhouley rd up through middle mountain. Fun. Wished it was longer.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:17 PM   #3131
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC

Oddometer: 1,412
Hello, I think I saw you today (Sat.) going down Tucker Rd. Were you two up on the r100gs? Stop by some time, the fruit stand opens on the 29th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramanonos View Post
Craig McCurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:11 PM   #3132
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 11,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by tblume View Post
Ya'll sure carry a lot of crap for a day ride.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:55 AM   #3133
Ramanonos
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig McCurdy View Post
Hello, I think I saw you today (Sat.) going down Tucker Rd. Were you two up on the r100gs? Stop by some time, the fruit stand opens on the 29th.

Yes, that would me and my son on the back. Up over middle mountain and to Parkdale for wings. Seems to be a lot of great rides in this area. Someone mentioned the Suburu rally loop is a blast. I must of been on a section of that on Guhouley Rd. He mentioned NF-17 through Mill Creek Butte is fun.

I'll stop by to say hi when I get back. Off to Enterprise to do some camp riding.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:51 PM   #3134
Harsany
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Goat Mountain / FS 45

Did a quick solo ride today starting in Estacada to Hillockburn, Clear Lake, Goat Mountain and then ran out 4550/4540. Great day to be in the woods!

Old 08-24-2014, 10:38 PM   #3135
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC

Oddometer: 1,412
Went out with Madaket today, she thought that riding the 950 two up on technical, rocky two track was loads of fun! Made it up to the old guard station on Red Hill today and a bunch of other out of the way spots. 90 miles with only "one" ice cream stop! Not bad for almost 12 years old!

Craig McCurdy is offline   Reply With Quote