Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2014, 02:32 PM   #1
giff74 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Have you KNOWINGLY ever bought a salvage title bike or one that's been laid down?

So, long story short I've almost bought a bike several times in the last six or so months. I'm fairly flexible in what I'm looking for; sport/standard, dual sport, maybe even the right super sport.

I haven't road regularly in almost 20 years and this will be my only bike for the foreseeable future. I've $3000 in cash in my bike fund and really, really don't think I want to borrow money to buy a bike.

I've been on a lot of wild goose chases over the spring and summer and refuse to run down any more craisglist leads. I found a shop only a couple of hours from me that primarily buys repos and salvage bikes from insurance companies, gets them back in safe shape and sells them off for less than retail.

http://www.racersedge411.com/

Aside from the obvious issues of scratches, dings, dents, etc are there reasons to stay away from salvage or laid down bikes?

As long as I can get a "fair" deal on the purchase of a bike, I'm not really worried about the resale.

I'd appreciate any solid input here as this is not a subject I'm really confident in.

Thanks ahead of time, Giff
giff74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:42 PM   #2
The PacRat
I'm that other guy

Oddometer: 2,505
Definitely makes it hard(er) to sell again, and I know you said you weren't worried about that, but when you decide to sell it you will.

Other than that I had a salvage bike or two and there were still good bikes.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:55 PM   #3
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,506
I bought a Honda Hawk GT that had been down. Dented tank, cracked plastic, scuffed this, bent that. I test rode it and it seemed to ride straight and everything worked. I put 4 or 5000 miles on it with no problems and had no problem selling it.
It did not have a salvage title and it was priced right (cheap). The Hawk, being a cult bike, rare and desirable, certainly helped with the resale.

It depends on the specific bike, the damage, and the price. I'd consider a bike with a salvage title if it was substantially cheaper than one with a clean title and appeared to be straight and solid. And if it was a bike I wanted.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:19 PM   #4
vicmitch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Right now I'm looking at the Insurance auctions for my RTW bike. Almost any bike that gets laid down gets salvaged, mostly for the insurance companies protection. Once it's salvaged, no one can sue them. if they let the owner keep the bike with a clean title and some tragedy happens afterwards, the family will sue.

I am a car transporter who picks up cars and bikes from the Insurance auctions so my customers let me buy stuff under their licences.

Most salvage bikes with minor damage can be fixed with some Ebay trolling. Bars, lights pipes etc. Most important when buying is to leave room for the things you didn't see.

if you're doing an epic trip, it's going to get banged around anyway, why start with a mint bike?

Mitch
vicmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:32 PM   #5
giff74 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicmitch View Post
Most salvage bikes with minor damage can be fixed with some Ebay trolling. Bars, lights pipes etc. Most important when buying is to leave room for the things you didn't see.

if you're doing an epic trip, it's going to get banged around anyway, why start with a mint bike?

Mitch
Two great points, I'll keep the extra cost in mind if I buy one. Thanks!

I figure the bike will get dropped once or twice in a parking lot while I get the hang of things again, so I would prefer something with a few "character bruises" instead of something that's in pristine order.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:23 PM   #6
DaveB74
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Giff.......I've been over to Racers Edge on multiple occasions. Last time was this spring when I went to look at an FJR. They seem to be a bit overpriced on their inventory but will probably be willing to accept offers.

They have one whole barn full of Harley's and another full of everything else.

Best of luck finding what you really want!
DaveB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:42 PM   #7
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,186
I got a salvage bike for parts.
Someone ran into something and bent the forks and cracked the frame, but the front wheel was fine???

Loads of good parts, for $1500.00, FI system, fuel pump, wheels, seats, exhaust, pegs, lights, fenders, 7000 mile motor, etc.
Just the wheels are worth it at tire change time.

To ride a salvage bike I would look at the frame and brakes very closely.
Floods or a crash are the reasons for a salvage title.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:27 PM   #8
itlives
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
I totaled my NC700X coming back from North Carolina this year. Ran into the ditch and messed up the front end. Amazingly didn't crack or scratch any plastic. I bought it back from the Ins. Co. and had it fixed and rode it home. Picked it up that morning from Kirks Cycles in Dalton GA and was in Shreveport LA that night . The only down side I can think of is I can't full coverage ins. on it now.
If I did sell it, it would be so I would have the full coverage (I like that peace of mind).

Edit- I take it back, I did scratch the windscreen. It's still usable especially if I want to go into woods.
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:39 PM   #9
SidewinderX
Hey, watch this!

Oddometer: 1,129
I bought a Triumph with a salvage title once. Ran it for @ 30,000 miles with not a single issue.

If it is fixed correctly, no issues other than realizing your resale is going to be low.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:49 PM   #10
Tupperwolf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Here's something my buddy wrote, he is a connoisseur of salvage titled bikes...

http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums...d.php?t=456612

He is on this site too but I doubt he will see this thread. If you have any questions for him I can send him the link.
Tupperwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:00 PM   #11
mobikes
doswheels

Oddometer: 44
I have had no issues with a salvage title bike, I have a 06 Hayabusa that I bought with a salvage title. It was not wrecked, but stolen and recovered. I bought it for a good grand or two cheaper than others were getting for the same bike. I have the State patrol report, it says theft recovery general clean up, no parts needed. It has a salvage title, had no issue with getting full coverage ins on it. I got a hold of the state patrol report a while after I owned it , through my own searching. I also have a pickup with a salvage title with full coverage ins , no issues .
mobikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:01 PM   #12
giff74 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupperwolf View Post

He is on this site too but I doubt he will see this thread. If you have any questions for him I can send him the link.
That's awesome information, thanks!

I didn't realize until the last couple of days that so many bikes got salvaged, especially compared to cars, and that there were so many that get back on the road.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:03 PM   #13
mobikes
doswheels

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupperwolf View Post

Good info on this link!
mobikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:07 PM   #14
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
Yep some pretty nice bikes get totaled. I bought one, good bike and never had a problem selling it.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:32 PM   #15
OConnor
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,342
I had a buddy bought a salvage title ZX12R. When pulling the tank to do maintenance he noticed the frame weld was split about four inches and had actually opened up. It rode fine but who would trust that. A new frame was a couple grand at the time. he now has more into the bike than he'll ever get from it.
2000 Suzuki SV650 track bike
1971 CB175 vintage racer inabox
OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote