Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2014, 09:43 PM   #1
lemming OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Unexpectedly acquiring a downed YZF600R...Things I should know?

I am a riding n00b, but have a skilled friend with a well-equipped shop to work on it. PO reports bike is running and riding. Needs fairing s and signals, I am sure more once I start digging. Ideas on how to assess further damage?

Other things I should know about for this bike?

2011 Royal Enfield Bullet B5
lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:39 PM   #2
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,094
Be careful with downed bikes. So much can be wrong.

I would check alignment of the rear wheel and rear subframe looking at the back of the bike.

Check the frame of the bike for any dents, creases, or cracks, or paint covering damage or repairs.

Check that the forks move without stiction. If they stick or are hard to push in/down, they could be bent.

Let the bike run for a bit in neutral. Long enough for the radiator fan to kick on. You want to check for coolant leaks, overheating problems, and oil leaks.

You can pull the chain off of the rear sprocket to check chain and sprocket wear.

The engine should need a little choke to start but settle into a perfectly smooth idle after a minute or two during the summer temps.

Check for brake fluid color and quantity. Also look at pad thickness and grooves on rotors. Pushing the bike should yield a steady and constant light dragging sound. If it pulses on and off or shakes when on the brakes and decelerating you have warped rotor(s).

Fork seals: bounce forks up and down and see if fork oil is present on the male sliders. If present, check for nicks in the steel. You may have to replace that part of the fork if a gouge is present.

Check all lights, horn, fluid levels and condition.

Check clutch for smooth engagement and transmission function. Should work well at low and high rpm. Should smoothly engage gears without banging or false neutrals.

Look inside gas tank for rust.

Tires, check that they are not cracked.

Inspect for missing parts like bar ends, signals, mirrors, nuts and bolts.

Check title that Vin number matches frame and engine and that title is not rebuilt or salvaged.
brianwheelies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:10 PM   #3
pjensen641
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
2nd gear was the known issue with that model. Before investing too much.....make sure you can pull 2nd gear thought entire rev range without popping out.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Past Rides: '82 GL500, '00 YZ426, '01 DRZ400S, '04 ST4S
pjensen641 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:31 AM   #4
lemming OP
Adventurer

Great thoughts, thanks! I am acquiring this as a trade for some gear I don't need, so it's essentially a free bike as far as I am concerned. According to the current owner, it has been well maintained, with new chain and rear tire this season, new front tire and brake pads last season. Bike went down on a dirt road at 35-40, avoiding a deer. Pilot was scratched and bruised, but uninjured. Bike did not hit anything. According to the owner, it needs a new windshield, some plastic, one of the blinkers, and "a small spot weld on one of the pipes for the cooling system". Apparently it is rideable, so I will check out 2nd gear (though if there is any coolant leak, I don't plan to ride it very far until it is fixed).

lemming screwed with this post 08-08-2014 at 05:41 AM
Old 08-08-2014, 10:15 PM   #5
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,332
If there is a coolant leak don't plan on riding it at all until it's fixed. Being sprayed with hot coolant isn't much fun.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:31 AM   #6
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,141
I would add checking the steering stops... good luck! The YZF600, or Thundercat as it is known some places, is a great bike!

Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:07 AM   #7
lemming OP
Adventurer

So..... picked up the bike. Rebuilt title, clearly had been down before, but very minor prior drop scuffing. Bike runs unbelievably well. PO changed the oil every 1000 miles, had it for 3 years and put 2k miles on it. Engine purrs and screams, throttle response is instant. Took it down the long driveway and ran through the gears very well, rode very smooth with no pulling. PO said he never had any issue with 2nd gear, and that seems to hold true based on our limited test run. Once the small coolant leak at a pipe junction is patched, we will take it down the road more to make sure there are no wobbles, but everything appears to be straight. Brand new Pilot Powers (fuzzies still on the contact patch), chain, rear sprocket and front brake pads. Kid threw in a Cortech mesh armored jacket, bike cover, spare helmet and a bunch of fluids and filters. He clearly loved this bike. Right now my mechie friend is draining all the fluids to check them over and pulling the damaged plastics. Depending on what we find, we will decide to either street fighter this thing or invest in new plastics.

Currently, I am pretty stoked. As projects go, this thing looks to be a great foundation. I was expecting a beat-on, poorly maintained lump in need of some real refreshing. Instead, I got a solid screamer with a bad case of acne.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:04 AM   #8
lemming OP
Adventurer

Picked it up, looking like this:

Starting stripping the plastics down to look it over more carefully, and check out the bones of the thing. So far, so good!