Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2011, 11:55 PM   #46
jehicks87 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Spitballing you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Al View Post
I'd call it a wash. I've had the Airhead for 17 years, so the mechanics are familiar to me. The KLR's been here for about 3 years, and I find it about as simple to work on as a liquid-cooled bike can get. The BMW also requires more specialized tools more often, which could pose a problem.

If I were headed out on a trip like the one that's been tossed around, I'd likely choose a DR650. Best of both worlds.

This is all just spitballing anyway, but it makes for some entertaining conversation.
No spitballing here. When I ETS I am taking a continent (or two) long trip. Yeeeeeah buddy.
jehicks87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 02:06 AM   #47
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,702
the airhead is much NICER on the slab than a thumper though
Old 02-12-2011, 02:34 AM   #48
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,428
I think you are wanting to be talked into buying an airhead.

I am a KLR owner & 80gs owner & woud say that unless you liked working on or felt passionately toward an airhead then get a DR, KLR or similar thumper. They will do all that you want of them & be more modern & reliable.

I guess what I'm trying to say that if you're just into riding & touring then any bike will do but if you wanted style...
Padmei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:50 AM   #49
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,123
You're setting me off with all these Summer photographs. can't wait it's been a long winter.

Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:59 AM   #50
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,230
well if you guys are doin' it then I'm postin' pics of my bike too

love that motorbike

This is the part of the thread where we've all had our say but we keep running our mouths anyways. Like I said, the BMW is good for touring through bad terrain. A lot of that has to do with vibration. The thumper vibes don't bother me around town but on long highway rides they get bad. It can ruin your road trip.

If you decide on a thumper, I'd put my vote on the DR over the KLR hands down. I had a blast on my KLR but the DR is simply a better bike mainly because of the weight. It's 50 pounds lighter. Also, the suspension is height adjustable. You can switch between 8 and 10 inches of wheel travel.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:03 AM   #51
The Raven
Banned

Oddometer: 4,813
Well if we are talking KLRs in the summer then....

I love my KLR, It's for sale, but would rather it go to someone who will use it rather than abuse it. I can't say how it compares to a DR as I have only ridden a DR250 at a MSF thing and that was FUN. Both the G/S and KLR are great for the riding I do. Slow, back roads, with no time constraints

The Raven screwed with this post 02-12-2011 at 08:08 AM
The Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:07 AM   #52
bmwblake
upside down parker

Oddometer: 3,277
when i saw the pics of red bud on trail 82 i knew it was only a matter of time before this was posted.

i think an airhead and a klr have a lot in common. i usually end up doing several long mileage days throughout the year and i can't imagine doing 16hrs on a klr. that's a practical area where the airhead gets my vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton73 View Post
bmwblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:32 AM   #53
The Raven
Banned

how many threads on here compare the two, and how many G/S-GS owners have or have had a KLR----quite a few
Old 02-12-2011, 01:38 PM   #54
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehicks87 View Post
No spitballing here. When I ETS I am taking a continent (or two) long trip. Yeeeeeah buddy.
The spitballing comment was directed at those of us who are tossing out opinons, not towards you. Any comments for you will have the words "envy", "green", and such.

Thanks for your service.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al screwed with this post 02-12-2011 at 02:57 PM
Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:58 AM   #55
jehicks87 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
well if you guys are doin' it then I'm postin' pics of my bike too

love that motorbike

This is the part of the thread where we've all had our say but we keep running our mouths anyways. Like I said, the BMW is good for touring through bad terrain. A lot of that has to do with vibration. The thumper vibes don't bother me around town but on long highway rides they get bad. It can ruin your road trip.

If you decide on a thumper, I'd put my vote on the DR over the KLR hands down. I had a blast on my KLR but the DR is simply a better bike mainly because of the weight. It's 50 pounds lighter. Also, the suspension is height adjustable. You can switch between 8 and 10 inches of wheel travel.
No, I'm not trying to be talked into anything. I'm actually trying to find the best bike for my wants. It seems like the thumpers have an edge, actually. I may still pick up an airhead just for slab riding, but it'd likely be an older (read: /5) model. After I get my turbo up and running, I'd probably sell my Hornet if I found out that I really like riding the BMWs as much as I like looking at them.

And The Raven:
I'm not interested in KLRs at all, but I appreciate the heads up.

Bigger Al:
Thanks for the support, brother.
jehicks87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:44 PM   #56
Ze Red Baron
Adventure seeker

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehicks87 View Post
So, I'm really interested in picking up a dual sport bike. I've always loved the old airheads (love the /5's ESPECIALLY). Now, I know they didn't make dual-sport bikes back then. Got it. But... the airhead engine is basically unchanged all the way up until, what? The mystic?

My question is, on the merits of a DS motorcycle alone, how do the airhead G/S and GS bikes from BMW stand? Like, how good are they REALLY?

If you want a sense of what these bikes can handle, you should checkout the following thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602602 - she has also ridden the bike around the world (I believe you can see more about that at http://www.tiffanystravels.co.uk/

Sure she's had some problems, but it is also a 28 year old bike.

I second the appreciation for your service.
www.ars-natura.com
Ze Red Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:55 PM   #57
Rapid_Roy
finally understands

Oddometer: 24,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
In my eyes, as close to perfect as you can get. Not fast, but not slow. comfortable enough to sit in the saddle for hours, will go off road through gnarly stuff you wouldn't expect it to go through. Easy to repair and maintain, but you MUST maintain your airhead. Longevity is key with these bikes, they'll run forever if you treat them right. And, they can carry a pretty good load. I love my ST/G/S, it is the best bike I've ever owned and I've had quite a few.
*swoon*

Old 02-14-2011, 01:08 PM   #58
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,665
If you want to hang around ADV typing to a bunch of people you've never met about how to keep your bike running... get a GS.

If you want to ride a motorcycle and travel to a lot of different places... get a KLR.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:54 PM   #59
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
If you want to hang around ADV typing to a bunch of people you've never met about how to keep your bike running... get a GS.

If you want to ride a motorcycle and travel to a lot of different places... get a KLR.

You cleary haven't visited the KLR worship threads over in thumpers.... those guys are way cheaper and way more self-indulgent then us GS and G/S guys (and gals).... they crack me up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:56 PM   #60
The Raven
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO View Post

You cleary haven't visited the KLR worship threads over in thumpers.... those guys are way cheaper and way more self-indulgent then us GS and G/S guys (and gals).... they crack me up!

Hey...I take issue with that, you see my sig...I have 100% more KLRs than G/Ses

Then again, I take pride in my frugality...or down right cheapness