ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2011, 05:04 AM   #16
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,690
This was my fix:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=628023

'14 V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure "The Train"
mcmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:47 AM   #17
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIsixfitty
What is the current SE capacity?
3.7 gals Im perty sure is ok for The East Coast.
But I would like an extra gal or two
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:30 AM   #18
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ
...What I do know is that there are several DR650, 530/525 EXC, XR650 R/L, 690/690R, and DRZ-400 owners (to mention a few) who are trying to add a "Dakar" style fairing to their bikes, and build the mid-size "adventure" bike that no manufacturer is currently building (with the exception of the XT660Z, which is not imported into the States). In my very humble opinion, if any manufacturer were to step-up, and sell a mid-size adventure bike to one in every ten of the above owners, there would be money to be made. Call me prejudice...but, I would like KTM to be that manufacturer...
First off, I'm not picking on you; and the above clip provides some useful extrapolation data.

In the US, the biggest selling dual sport the past 10 years or so has been the KLR. Kawasaki sells about 7,000 a year. The 2nd best selling bike is the DRZ400 (all models), at less than 4,000 a year. Let's assume for arguements sake that Honda sells 3,000 XLs, Suzuki sells 3,000 DRs, and KTM sells 1,000 690s/530/450. That's a total of 18,000 bikes (and it's probably larger than reality). And let's take 30% of that (to cover the "several owners" you feel are looking to add a fairing or otherwise adventurize their dual-sports). That's 5,400 bikes. 1/10 of that represents 540 bikes.

And let's say that the market is really smitten by such a bike and sales are actually twice that- 1,100 bikes.

Sounds like it might be a reasonable market.

But there are some other data points to consider:

1) is it reasonable to expect that if one manufacturer built this single cylinder adventure bike that they would capture the entire market for it? People have brand alleigences and allergies (not to mention price points) that suggest a resounding "no".

2) a manufaturer who built it would most likely canibilize their own sales (of bikes that have thier tooling paid off a long time ago and are thus probaby pretty profitable) to some high degree.

3) KTM often had trouble selling the 200 or so 640 Adventures they brought in for the years they did. Granted, the market may have expanded since then, and KTM is prehaps better known today (with less people allergic to them): but I find it very telling that the company with the most relevent experience with single cylinder adventure bikes which has a modern and well received basic platform and has not been afraid to take chances, has chosen not to bring one to market so far. Almost the same for Yamaha, who you'd think could test the waters with a conditional pre-order program (need deposits for some number by a date).

I guess we won't know for sure unless someone actually does it. Then we can all complain about how they missed the market and we'd buy one "if only they...".

kaia screwed with this post 03-22-2011 at 12:27 AM
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:25 AM   #19
WIsixfitty
ceiling unlimited

Oddometer: 2,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post
3.7 gals Im perty sure is ok for The East Coast.
But I would like an extra gal or two
As you said another 1.5 to 2 gallons in a slim two tank package would prolly do the trick.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:47 AM   #20
Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,962
Let's end the Adventure thumper talk in here. There are enough of those threads elsewhere (in Thumpers) and it is a far removed subject from the original post. I'm happy to have what KTM offers! I think the aftermarket has fallen well short of offering good alternatives to the relatively short range on the Super Enduro. It's unfortunate because I love the bike in so many other ways!
Yardstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:57 PM   #21
WIsixfitty
ceiling unlimited

thumper? I was talking about the SE, as in Super Enduro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardstick View Post
Let's end the Adventure thumper talk in here. There are enough of those threads elsewhere (in Thumpers) and it is a far removed subject from the original post. I'm happy to have what KTM offers! I think the aftermarket has fallen well short of offering good alternatives to the relatively short range on the Super Enduro. It's unfortunate because I love the bike in so many other ways!
Old 02-13-2011, 03:47 PM   #22
Brown Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIsixfitty View Post
thumper? I was talking about the SE, as in Super Enduro.
Dipstick , I mean Yardstick must think he's one of them Mods I Guess

Quote:
Let's end the Adventure thumper talk in here. There are enough of those threads elsewhere (in Thumpers) and it is a far removed subject from the original post ...
Old 02-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #23
Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIsixfitty View Post
As you said another 1.5 to 2 gallons in a slim two tank package would prolly do the trick.
Sorry for the mixup! I was referring to the people who have been hijacking the thread to push the Adventure thumper agenda.
Yardstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:15 PM   #24
WIsixfitty
ceiling unlimited

Quote:
Sorry for the mixup! I was referring to the people who have been hijacking the thread to push the Adventure thumper agenda.

No worries mate.

I wanted to make clear what I talking about too.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:34 PM   #25
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

An internet forum thread drifting off topic isn't exactly "man bites dog" headline stuff

But wrt the SE-- the aftermarket has provided at least 4 viable solutions:

1) a big tank solution
2) a side/rear mount solution
3) a luggage rack solution
4) using one of the mufflers as a gas tank solution

All of which are being effectively used by folks on this forum.

None of these may satisfy your particular wants or desires, but I wouldn't characterize that as the aftermarket "falling well short" of offering good alternatives.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:41 PM   #26
Brown Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow
1) a big tank solution

None of these may satisfy your particular wants or desires...
None of them do . . . . . . & I doubt we'll see a tank smaller than the Safari Tanker Option
Old 02-13-2011, 05:44 PM   #27
veetwo _tls
RENOVATIO:

Oddometer: 1,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
An internet forum thread drifting off topic isn't exactly "man bites dog" headline stuff

But wrt the SE-- the aftermarket has provided at least 4 viable solutions:

1) a big tank solution

All of which are being effectively used by folks on this forum.

None of these may satisfy your particular wants or desires, but I wouldn't characterize that as the aftermarket "falling well short" of offering good alternatives.

2) a side/rear mount solution ? as in the 950/990 rally side tanks will fit the SE ?
MY07 950 SER
veetwo _tls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:23 AM   #28
DOD
idiot dirt rider

Oddometer: 2,289
Personally I don't think 6 gallons is enough. I would like a solid 200 mile range. I can get better than 30 mph but I can't count on it.

The safari tank is a decent solution, it's just a matter of money.

-dod
Old 02-14-2011, 07:31 AM   #29
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,936
I was reluctant to get the Safari tank but very happy with it now. And I've needed the 8 gallons (30 litres) many times here. The poor fuel economy of the SE makes a big tank necessary for any long distance offroad riding. I'm carrying an extra 5 litres now as well.

I ran out of gas once on my trip, at 15K ft in Peru, my reserve light went on at 160 miles that day.

The tank doesn't feel as big as it looks when you're riding imo. And it takes a crash well. I went down hard on pavement in Ecuador and the tank took some road rash, that's it.

IIRC, the tank, shrouds, and locking gas cap were shipped to my door for $800 from justgastanks.com

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:39 AM   #30
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by veetwo _tls View Post
2) a side/rear mount solution ? as in the 950/990 rally side tanks will fit the SE ?
I was talking about the Neduro solution.