Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2011, 10:49 AM   #31
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,085
KTM screwed the pooch designing the SE tank. It could have been 5g and easily slimmer for the rider compartment but they wasted alot of space to get a look I'm guessing? The fact that a 8g Safari takes up as much room as the factory 3.8 betwen your legs is amazing. Longer sweep back to or under the sides of the seat and thinner wings while filling the gaps in the sides would have reduced the mass of the bike and made it easier to ride.

I called Clockworks a year or two ago and they had no plans to build anything but said they would look at it. I doubt they ever did but this is an American company who MIGHT just do it with enough requests.

I used a Safari but am running a different custom route for mine that is about half completed right now. Did you ever sit on the bike without a tank on it?
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:15 AM   #32
Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,873
It seems both Clockwork and Acerbis just haven't seen enough interest to make a tank for the Super Enduro. I was considering the custom route, but might just give up and keep running the Rotopax cans.

If enough of us request a tank, either company could do one! Here are the contacts I've got:

Acerbis USA
brian.f@acerbis.com
Brian Fullerton

also Acerbis Italia Spa
Veronika
Tel.-39,035,758,219
Fax -39, 035,756 319
Cell -39,348,707 8026
E-Mail - veronika.l@acerbis.it

Clockwork KTM Parts and Mods
info@clockworkktm.com
Kevin Schuler
150 West Evergreen Avenue
Unit M4
Philadelphia, Pa 19118
P (866)-608-5731
www.clockworkktm.com
Yardstick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:31 AM   #33
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardstick View Post
...If enough of us request a tank, either company could do one!...
I applaud your vigilance, Yardstick, and will do my part by sending something to Acerbis (Do they make good tanks?). But, for me, the reality is this...The market is already closed for anything "Super Enduro". There is no growth potential, at the current time. Plus, there is already a viable option (Aqualine) that (at least) 1/3 of the current market already owns.

On a second note, I would love a six-gallon tank that would lower the center of gravity a bit. The current set-up (four gallons/four-feet high) was, definitely, an afterthought.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:42 AM   #34
Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
Acerbis (Do they make good tanks?).
Acerbis makes tanks and other plastic for KTM (or used to). They have made medium and very large tanks for KTM's smaller bike lines for years (of course that's a much bigger market with a lot of cross-over between years). And they have lots of plastic and other tanks for other bikes.

Quote:
But, for me, the reality is this...The market is already closed for anything "Super Enduro". There is no growth potential, at the current time. Plus, there is already a viable option (Aqualine) that (at least) 1/3 of the current market already owns.
I don't know about that. It's a limited bike for sure and no longer in production, but there are a lot of us die-hard Super Enduro owners (around the world!) that aren't satisfied with the aftermarket tank options for one reason or another. Why not have another option? There's another thread floating around that reminded me the SM-R uses the same seat and tank, so there are even more bikes that could use a larger tank. And what about those who might destroy a tank in a crash and want to rebuild the bike with something having greater capacity? The Safari abomination is the only option currently.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:55 AM   #35
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Acerbis makes tanks and other plastic for KTM (or used to). They have made medium and very large tanks for KTM's smaller bike lines for years (of course that's a much bigger market with a lot of cross-over between years). And they have lots of plastic and other tanks for other bikes...
I knew that they did...I had just never owned one. I bought one set of handguards, from Acerbis, that were shit. Since that time, I've kinda' pre-judged everything they make.

I know alot of the "desert" guys use their tanks. So, they gotta' be pretty decent...

Quote:
...I don't know about that. It's a limited bike for sure and no longer in production, but there are a lot of us die-hard Super Enduro owners (around the world!) that aren't satisfied with the aftermarket tank options for one reason or another. Why not have another option? There's another thread floating around that reminded me the SM-R uses the same seat and tank, so there are even more bikes that could use a larger tank. And what about those who might destroy a tank in a crash and want to rebuild the bike with something having greater capacity? The Safari abomination is the only option currently.
Those are, definitely, some good points. Like I typed, I will shoot something to Acerbis about the "Yardstick" tank.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
Old 03-17-2011, 11:02 AM   #36
Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

Quote:
I knew that they did...I had just never owned one. I bought one set of handguards, from Acerbis, that were shit. Since that time, I've kinda' pre-judged everything they make.
That's funny! I'm not a big fan of their hand guards anymore either, but they do make nice tanks!

Quote:
Those are, definitely, some good points. Like I typed, I will shoot something to Acerbis about the "Yardstick" tank.
Sweet!
Old 03-17-2011, 12:07 PM   #37
Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

It looks like Clockwork has an interest in going forward on the tank idea! I let them know about this thread and sent a picture of a bunch of locals and some neighbor staters with stock tanks and auxiliary fuel (below) and got this from Kevin at Clockwork:
"Nice bikes! There is definitely room there to do something, and we're interested in anything KTM, so look forward to hearing from you!"
So send in your requests and lets get this going!

Old 03-17-2011, 02:31 PM   #38
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,085
I just wrote clockworks rep who I spoke to before and offered my bike as a mule againj. I'll let ya know what happens.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:38 PM   #39
Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

Excellent! Thank you!
Old 03-17-2011, 02:45 PM   #40
RedlegDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
I just got this from Brian at Acerbis:

"Hello Jim,
Yes we are doing our homework on this and looking into a few things. But could you please make a post on ADV rider and 'just say that were are looking into it' please? For tech questions and new products.....my email is a team of one. I am scared I will get a ton of emails unless we let these guys know where we are at with this. I agree it's a popular bike in US and we are checking to see how the interest is in other countries. Allen Kelly has emailed me a few times and honestly it's not up to me, it's up to how the rest of the world has interest in this tank.
I will let you and Allen Kelly know either way, it's literally in the first stage. If they said 'yes let's do it'..................6 months I am guessing by the time we see it.

Thanks,
Brian"

I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
"Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have." Ronald Reagan

2014 690R & 2014 500 EXC
RedlegDaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:34 PM   #41
goatdog
PTO

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
It looks like Clockwork has an interest in going forward on the tank idea! I let them know about this thread and sent a picture of a bunch of locals and some neighbor staters with stock tanks and auxiliary fuel (below) and got this from Kevin at Clockwork:
"Nice bikes! There is definitely room there to do something, and we're interested in anything KTM, so look forward to hearing from you!"

Sure they say their interested the day after I buy a Safari tank..
Old 03-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #42
Chris618
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
I'd be in for one!
Old 03-17-2011, 06:13 PM   #43
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,702
Quote:

Damn, I see some new additions to the PHX SE crowd.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:24 PM   #44
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
All this hatin' on the 8g Safari, its a crying shame.

For me, and where I ride, I'd have a 12 gal. tank if they made one.

It'd just be keeping with the 9 extra gallons of gas I carry on my ATV

ktm950se
Attached Images

ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:52 PM   #45
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
Damn, I see some new additions to the PHX SE crowd.
DAYYUM!!! That looks like half the SE's in the States.