User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2011, 08:26 PM   #46
WIsixfitty
ceiling unlimited

Oddometer: 2,104
oh noes!

that has to be a new record for the most handicapped SE riders in one place on earth.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:04 PM   #47
awork13
Gas was made to burn

Oddometer: 313
Im wishing for a 6 gal main tank. But for now, I am going to use acerbis 1.6 gal rear mounted tank, and put it in my top case. I really dont want the weight up high, but I do want it to be removable, if it is.
2009 CRF150R
awork13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:08 AM   #48
DOD
idiot dirt rider

Oddometer: 2,274
You'll notice that they all have fuel tanks strapped to the tail racks.

That was a fun day.

-dod
Old 03-18-2011, 08:39 AM   #49
Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,946
There is some unintentional symbolism in that picture of the eight SE's. They are handicapped by their limited fuel range!

We didn't even have all the AZ SE's represented. Where were you, RedlegDaddy? We could have had 9! 10 if Misery Goat wasn't off having the time of his life! I figure one day all the SE's will migrate to the southwest!
Yardstick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:03 AM   #50
BENRON
I'm Mr. Crabtree

Oddometer: 3,585
Playing devils advocate here, But assuming the 6 gallon and 8 gallon options are roughly the same price, How many people would really get the smaller tank??
BENRON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:36 AM   #51
Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by BENRON View Post
Playing devils advocate here, But assuming the 6 gallon and 8 gallon options are roughly the same price, How many people would really get the smaller tank??

If everything (overall design, ergonomics, price, quality) were equal, I would probably get the 8 gallon tank. From what I've seen/heard/read, the existing 8 gallon option has quality issues. There are certain design choices that also turn me off to it. If a six gallon tank was designed and executed well, I would even pay more for it!

Really, the stock tank is usually enough. I almost never have to use the 1 gallon Rotopax can I keep on the back of the bike. It stays there as a reserve almost all the time though. Where fuel availability is questionable or I'm really stretching it, I put two Rotopax cans on the back. Even then, I don't always use them. It would be nice to have that spare capacity built into the tank and not have to carry it behind me on the rack! Especially knowing the subframe's weakness. A six gallon tank would get me everywhere I want to go comfortably and let me even miss a questionable station here and there. Eight gallons would do the same, obviously, but as I said, there are certain things that turn me off to that tank.
Yardstick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:52 AM   #52
Day13
Worst Avatar EVER!

Oddometer: 675
I'd be interested in the 6 gal. option as well. Being on the East Coast and running a Rotopax already, 6 more gals. should be fine.

I'll email Clockworks also.
Day13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:06 AM   #53
markie_wales
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardstick View Post
From what I've seen/heard/read, the existing 8 gallon option has quality issues.
What are those? I've missed that and looking to buy one V soon.

cheers

Markie
Old 03-18-2011, 10:15 AM   #54
RedlegDaddy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardstick View Post
There is some unintentional symbolism in that picture of the eight SE's. They are handicapped by their limited fuel range!

We didn't even have all the AZ SE's represented. Where were you, RedlegDaddy? We could have had 9! 10 if Misery Goat wasn't off having the time of his life! I figure one day all the SE's will migrate to the southwest!
I'm not sure when the picture was taken; you may have caught me between SE's but trust me, that won't happen again!
"Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have." Ronald Reagan

Current bike: something ORANGE!
RedlegDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:22 PM   #55
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,698
E-mail sent to Mr. Schuler (Clockwork)...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:01 PM   #56
RedlegDaddy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
I just got this from Kevin at Clockwork:

"Jim,
Thanks for the interest! We've heard from a few of you guys now and will continue to monitor this."

That does not sound near as promising as the reply I got back from Brian at Acerbis. I guess we will see what happens.
"Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have." Ronald Reagan

Current bike: something ORANGE!
RedlegDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:22 PM   #57
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlegDaddy View Post
...That does not sound near as promising as the reply I got back from Brian at Acerbis. I guess we will see what happens.
I kinda' got the same impression, Redleg...very nice gentleman (Kevin), but kinda', "We're gonna' keep an eye on this thing..." deal.

I can't say as though I blame him. Like I typed to Yardstick, it seems like a huge investment for a pretty small return...unless some of the SM-R guys would jump on the bandwagon, as Yardstick proposed.

I'm with you...We'll see.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:41 PM   #58
900rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
Make no mistake.

We SM-R-aphiles are watching this thread...
900rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:14 PM   #59
WIsixfitty
ceiling unlimited

Oddometer: 2,104
hmmmmm?
Old 03-18-2011, 04:39 PM   #60
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,862
I have about 16K miles on my Safari tank now through some nasty terrain and no issues.

I've had a few biffs too, a big one on asphalt that dislocated my finger and the tank holds up. Very happy.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote