Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2011, 02:22 PM   #31
zenjen
Go Outside

Oddometer: 2,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by inyang View Post
I am asking because most of the meals say 2 servings and I plan to use half and pack remainder.
Don't know about cooking in a pot as I have never tried it.

As far a the 2 servings to a pouch, IMHO it's like a 2 man tent, just right for 1 man.
zenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:46 PM   #32
davsato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
i see you've been on ADVrider for awhile at almost 300 posts.....

you do know that FF means "fucking fuck"!?!?!

FYYFF means fuck you you fucking fuck.

are you serious that you've never heard of biscuits and gravy???

i am beginning to think you are pulling my leg.

biscuits and gravy is a delicious Southern (as in the South, USA) dish that is biscuits (fluffy salty buttery pastry) and the gravy is a white "pork" or "sausage" gravy.
americans are weird, must be all that fisting you got going on....

no mate im not pulling your leg, i googled "biscuits & gravy" though, sounds good, especially the sausage gravy. theres an 'L' in holmes, btw
davsato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:48 PM   #33
Snr Moment
Unafarkler

Oddometer: 2,188
Southern England? Hmmmm...kippers & gravy?

YAAK
Snr Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:25 PM   #34
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,997
Don't forget the Tetrapak'ed single serving wine boxes!

It's not time to be a wine snob when you're on a light camping trip.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:16 PM   #35
Jäger
Osons

Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snr Moment View Post
Speaking of "vile sounding" food:

Spotted Dick, faggots with mushy peas, jellied eels, bubble and squeak.... oh, and of course, you haven't lived until you've had black pudding for breakfast - think pigs blood and suet as the two major ingredients. Americans may indeed be weird, but in NATO circles, there's a reason Brit soldiers are referred to as "shit eaters".

I'll take being considered weird over living on British cuisine... or the fare of my relatives just to the north in Scotland, as far as that goes. Although now that Starbucks has arrived since my last trip over there, perhaps you can at least get a decent cup of coffee now.

Anyways, I forgot the info about bannock as fast/easy camp food. It's hard to go wrong; you can make it all kinds of different ways. And you can cook it either by frying it in a pan or cooking it wrapped around a stick over the camp fire. I prefer the stick method - no dishes.

So, premix as much or as little of the following in about the same ratio:

1 cup all-purpose or whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp milk powder
1/4 tsp salt

To change flavours around a bit, add caraway seeds and/or rosemary, and fine ground Parmesan or Asiago (i.e. the dried condiment Kraft makes for sprinkling on your pasta). Put the mix in a heavy duty ziplock bag and it's good to go. All you need to make it is a small leakproof bottle to hold a bit of vegetable or olive oil

When it comes time to make your bannock, put the desired amount in another plastic bag, add about half as much water as dry ingredients, and a bit of oil. You'd use about 4 tsp of oil to 1 cup of ingredients, so that should give you a general idea of how much oil to squirt into the bag.

Knead it for about 10 minutes in the bag until everything is well distributed and evenly mixed. It should be fairly dry, not a wet sticky mess. Let it sit for a few minutes while you go cut yourself a stick. Wrap the bannock around the stick, then cook over your fire until done; it will be a dark gold color and pull off the stick in chunks like a hot dinner bun. Yum. Throw the plastic bag you did the prep in into the camp fire... dishes are done. I've also seen people in a camp make it into a thick pancake and cook in a frying pan, but I don't carry a frying pan with me.

Jäger screwed with this post 02-12-2011 at 10:40 PM
Jäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:58 AM   #36
davsato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snr Moment View Post
kippers=good
gravy=good
kippers&gravy= BLUUUUURRR!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jäger View Post

Spotted Dick, faggots with mushy peas, jellied eels, bubble and squeak.... oh, and of course, you haven't lived until you've had black pudding for breakfast - think pigs blood and suet as the two major ingredients. Americans may indeed be weird, but in NATO circles, there's a reason Brit soldiers are referred to as "shit eaters".
while we're your only friends in the UN we get dragged into stuff we cant afford, we cant afford men, bullets AND food. eating anything like a goat is good for a soldier, surely? they will have no trouble finding something to eat while the rest of you are wandering around looking for a clean paper cup to put your vanilla shot into

you can keep jellied eels, too many bones, but faggots are lip smackin good (teehee!), bubble&squeek i had for breakfast yesterday, its fried mashed potato and some form of veg, and spotted dick isnt as bad as it sounds it wont give you herpes. black pudding is great, just a blood sausage like you get in the rest of europe but ours is about 4 times the size.

you left out soused pigs head, brawn(diced pig brain in jelly), boiled trotters, pickled eggs, mmm loads of things a growing lad needs
Old 02-13-2011, 04:58 AM   #37
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by davsato View Post
kippers=good
gravy=good
kippers&gravy= BLUUUUURRR!!!!

while we're your only friends in the UN we get dragged into stuff we cant afford, we cant afford men, bullets AND food. eating anything like a goat is good for a soldier, surely? they will have no trouble finding something to eat while the rest of you are wandering around looking for a clean paper cup to put your vanilla shot into

you can keep jellied eels, too many bones, but faggots are lip smackin good (teehee!), bubble&squeek i had for breakfast yesterday, its fried mashed potato and some form of veg, and spotted dick isnt as bad as it sounds it wont give you herpes. black pudding is great, just a blood sausage like you get in the rest of europe but ours is about 4 times the size.

you left out soused pigs head, brawn(diced pig brain in jelly), boiled trotters, pickled eggs, mmm loads of things a growing lad needs

There is an ancient story of an Athenian embassador who visited Sparta. After they fed him dinner, he said to his hosts "Now I know why Spartans aren't afraid to die."
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:06 AM   #38
mrprez
KJ4WMZ

Oddometer: 1,265
Just about anything from Packit Gourmet will make you want to never eat another MH again! They are a bit pricey but the quality is so much better.

Packit Gourmet
mrprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:06 AM   #39
Jäger
Osons

Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by davsato View Post
while we're your only friends in the UN we get dragged into stuff we cant afford, we cant afford men, bullets AND food.
Not counting Canada, Australia, etc...

And on tour, you don't go dropping in on other country's messes for a spot of dinner.

No, my experiences with Brit messes were in Britain - and in Canada at BATUS, where my brother fixes Challies for you. Even in Canada, you have a unique talent for taking perfectly good food and turn it into shyte. It's amazing, but you manage. Little wonder so many Brits who get posted to BATUS will run out trying to find any ditchpig to marry, just so they can stay...

On the other hand, the "adventure training" Brit troops get, with swans of to Belize, the Kananaskis for climbing and skiing, etc is unmatched by any other country. Not sure if it makes up for the food, however.

Quote:
eating anything like a goat is good for a soldier, surely?
Surely no. Napoleon observed that "une armée marche à son estomac". He was talking about logistics, not food, but the common meaning is also true. There is a saying in the military that there are three things you don't screw up:
A soldier's pay
A soldier's leave
A soldier's food

Quote:
spotted dick isnt as bad as it sounds it wont give you herpes. black pudding is great, just a blood sausage like you get in the rest of europe but ours is about 4 times the size.
Had both. What can I say - I just don't have an appetite for food made largely of suet. Around here, we put that stuff in bird feeders.

Anyways, does anybody else have recipes for meals made out of pre-mixed stuff you can find at home, that requires minimal prep and extra ingredients once out on the trail? Bannock is good, but I'd like to change it up a bit. I've done the plain old cooked pasta with garlic infused olive oil poured over it, but find it a little too bland - a failing due to no Italian blood in me, perhaps.
Jäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:17 AM   #40
Fat Monkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Bannock

Thanks for the recipe and reminder. This will be with me on my next outing for sure. I always carry can foods and rice dishes etc. that I can cook in the Jetboil and the Bannock will be a great addition. No worries about weight of the food since I don't plan on hiking much

I would be interested in any recipes variations you may have for the Bannock.

FM

Quote:

Anyways, I forgot the info about bannock as fast/easy camp food. It's hard to go wrong; you can make it all kinds of different ways. And you can cook it either by frying it in a pan or cooking it wrapped around a stick over the camp fire. I prefer the stick method - no dishes.

So, premix as much or as little of the following in about the same ratio:

1 cup all-purpose or whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp milk powder
1/4 tsp salt

To change flavours around a bit, add caraway seeds and/or rosemary, and fine ground Parmesan or Asiago (i.e. the dried condiment Kraft makes for sprinkling on your pasta). Put the mix in a heavy duty ziplock bag and it's good to go. All you need to make it is a small leakproof bottle to hold a bit of vegetable or olive oil

When it comes time to make your bannock, put the desired amount in another plastic bag, add about half as much water as dry ingredients, and a bit of oil. You'd use about 4 tsp of oil to 1 cup of ingredients, so that should give you a general idea of how much oil to squirt into the bag.

Knead it for about 10 minutes in the bag until everything is well distributed and evenly mixed. It should be fairly dry, not a wet sticky mess. Let it sit for a few minutes while you go cut yourself a stick. Wrap the bannock around the stick, then cook over your fire until done; it will be a dark gold color and pull off the stick in chunks like a hot dinner bun. Yum. Throw the plastic bag you did the prep in into the camp fire... dishes are done. I've also seen people in a camp make it into a thick pancake and cook in a frying pan, but I don't carry a frying pan with me.

Fat Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:26 AM   #41
nvklr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by inyang View Post
What about pouring the package contents into a pot rather than using the package it comes in for cooking (Mountain House). Anything special to note or just boil the water, dump the quantity you need and cover the pot?

I am asking because most of the meals say 2 servings and I plan to use half and pack remainder.
I've done this before, I think it cooks better that way actually.
nvklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:26 AM   #42
Fat Monkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Mac-N-Cheese is good. Just ditch the box and put the dried cheese flavoring and the noodles in a heavy duty zip-lock. I have tried to make and carry my own stuff to flavor pasta, but it doesn't get much easier than Kraft Mac-N-Cheese.

BTW, cook the noodles in your pot and mix the them with the cheese in the bag. It is a bitch to clean the cheese sauce from the Jetboil.

FM

Quote:
Not counting Canada, Australia, etc...

Anyways, does anybody else have recipes for meals made out of pre-mixed stuff you can find at home, that requires minimal prep and extra ingredients once out on the trail? Bannock is good, but I'd like to change it up a bit. I've done the plain old cooked pasta with garlic infused olive oil poured over it, but find it a little too bland - a failing due to no Italian blood in me, perhaps.

Fat Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:32 AM   #43
MonsterJ
I have motopsychosis

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
If you fill to the fill line which is only like 2 inches just fold the flap over and carefully lay it down.Or you could empty it after its heated for awhile. They stay hot for hours even without the water. I carry just the heater packs sometimes and have never had an issue of it spilling. Could tape just the sides so the gas isn't trapped.

***** Public Service Announcement*****

PLEASE don't use MRE heaters to heat your sleeping bag. Did you know the gas coming from the chemical reaction to generate the heat is HYDROGEN? It is extremely flammable! I use to put the MRE heater material in a plastic soda bottle with a little splash of water.... give it a minute or so... then toss in the camp fire. It makes a nice little mushroom cloud. ...er... uh... I mean I've read something like that. Yeah. Wasn't me.

Google: MRE Bomb

Temple, TX -> Cape May, NJ -> Mobile, AL -> ECity, NC -> Kodiak, AK -> Mobile, AL -> Sacto, CA -> Cape Cod, MA -> New London, CT -> San Francisco, CA -> Juneau, AK (summer of '13) -> where to next?
MonsterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:35 AM   #44
jazzer
Lost again... Yeah!

Oddometer: 198
Thumb Maryjane's

I hope this is not 205...

http://www.backcountryfood.com/shop/

My wife and I take Maryjanes (no, not maryjane....not that there's anything wrong with that) on all of backpacking and bike trips. We use a jet boil to heat the water and carry a couple of larger stainless steel coffee cups. (yeah, I know they are heavy but it's a luxury).

Maryjanes has less salt and is organic. Buy it in bulk and use zip lock bags to carry it.

Ken
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:22 AM   #45
ThatGuy
Brownie

Oddometer: 4,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterJ View Post

PLEASE don't use MRE heaters to heat your sleeping bag. Did you know the gas coming from the chemical reaction to generate the heat is HYDROGEN? It is extremely flammable! I use to put the MRE heater material in a plastic soda bottle with a little splash of water.... give it a minute or so... then toss in the camp fire. It makes a nice little mushroom cloud. ...er... uh... I mean I've read something like that. Yeah. Wasn't me.

Google: MRE Bomb

I didn't mean putting them while you sleep. I meant to heat before climbing in. I've used the heaters hundreds of times and never seen them catch on fire however I wouldn't want to find out when I was sleeping.
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote