Don't Panic!

Oddometer: 120
Wooow..very Interesting... I'm in!
Christian RA40XT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:18 PM   #32
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer: 1,081

I awoke the next morning to a thick fog. I mean crazy thick. Doubling back to check out Garnet at my leisure, I noted that the expansive view I had enjoyed earlier from the elevated dirt road was now a whiteout, with treetops just dozens of feet from the road disappearing into the mist at their base. I walked the town once again and followed a previously unnoticed path cutting through the freshly thinned out pine forest. I spoke with one woman who was reading a newspaper in her truck at the entrance of the town. She was apparently a guide from a nearby high-end ranch, Paws-Up, and had thrown a few celebrity names my way. Good stuff. On the way back to the highway, I followed a crudely spray-painted sign to a little settlement of Coloma, now just a collection of water-soaked log ruins. The fog persisted, giving me a pretty eerie feeling about the whole thing.

So I doubled back after getting my head straight and dropped back down onto the highway. From here it was a straight shot into Missoula, where I stopped at a local Quizno's for a fairly disappointing meal.. It wasn't long before it begins raining. Nice. I hide out in a covered entrance for several minutes, but the rain only picks up in intensity. I intended on picking up some bike parts while in town. I had spit out a master link clip a day or two before and was a bit nervous about going much further without acquiring a replacement. But with the rain pouring down on me, and every layer soaked at this point, I had decided that my best option was to just find a hotel for the day. I bargained with the manager and got myself a single for $50 a night. I pulled the bike right in and stripped down, eager to take a shower and dry off. I also took the opportunity to strip the bike down and investigate the electrical gremlins that had been plaguing me for days now, as well as cast a new power plug for my GPS out of JB weld. All was a success. Barely made it forty miles today.

Got up the next morning and reassembled the KLR. Rolled it out of the room and into the parking lot only to find my neighbor loading up his Harley and inspecting a very minor oil seep. Apparently, this guy is also heading north. He plans to take the ferry from Seattle up to Anchorage, but this new oil spot has him wondering if he is going to make it or not. All I could do was laugh to myself as I look over my shoulder at the KLR, dirt and silt clinging to the oil-covered engine. I left town, heading west from here. It was hot, but at least it was dry. At one point I pulled over alongside an old covered bridge for a bake break and stripped off my overpants, deciding it was just too damn hot today. Emptying the pockets, I strapped them down at the rear and made myself a sammich, wandering around the open fields and checking out the river as I had lunch.

Several hundred miles up the road, the temperature has dropped and I've finally “aired out”, deciding it was time to gear up once again. Pulling over at the next gravel parking area, I dismount and turn around to discover.... nothing. What the fuck? Where are my overpants? Not fucking cool.... Maybe I could double back.... Looking at my GPS, it's been at least a hundred miles since my last pit stop... goddamnit. How the hell could I have let this happen? I was just glad I'd emptied the pockets before “strapping” down my gear. Checking my watch, it's coming close to the end of the business day, so I was quick with the next couple of miles. Cruising through northern Idaho, which was quite epic, I flew into Spokane with minutes to spare. Stopping in at the nearest bike shop I could find, the salesman was cool enough to keep the doors open long enough for me to scout around and grab a cheap pair of Tourmaster overpants. He even gave me a discount and recommended that I head north from there and stop in at Nelson, BC. I figure, sure, why not? This whole trip has been without plans, as intended, merely following whichever direction the universe decides upon. I was told to go north.

I donned my new overpants, tags flapping in the breeze, and filled up at some greasy burger stop. At the next gas station, I asked the guy with the Jeep at the next pump over what he recommended as a route north. With that, I jumped on Route 2 and moved on. I stopped a few miles in at a rocky lake shore for a photo op and to get my head on right before continuing on in the fading daylight. I knew I wasn't going to make it to the border before night fall, and I still had some... contraband that I had to dispose of, so my next objective was simple enough. Find a place to make camp for the night. That was easy in this part of the country, much more so than on the east coast. Just before nightfall, I found yet another logging road and climbed into the hills, pitching camp at a sandy and remote turn around in the maze of double track.
Parepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:53 PM   #33
Arc 21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
My kind of ride report..........

I'm looking forward to more.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:53 PM   #34
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. Keep this lazy fucker motivated.

And the story only gets better. I've barely scratched the surface.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:31 PM   #35
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Once again, I found myself stumbling about the forest in an early morning daze, urgently fumbling with my zipper in an attempt to relieve myself. Packed up camp and headed north. Just before the border crossing, I pulled over at what appeared to be an old water-filled gravel pit and began pulling apart the airbox. As I stuffed a small package of contraband behind my air filter, a beat up SUV came lumbering down the path. Two men and and a kid hopped out and quickly clambered down the hillside before plunging headlong into the crystal clear waters. It's hard to not look suspicious when you're elbow-deep in an airbox, but I did what I could and quickly screwed the plastics back together. I shot the shit with the newcomers for a few more minutes before they piled back into their truck and backed down the path, shortly after followed by myself. Watching the GPS, I took the very last road you could before the border and followed the narrow, winding gravel road up into the hills. I followed it until you couldn't go any further, quite literally. At the closed gate, I hung a left with a small dry-bag containing my remaining contraband and buried it all beneath a large pile of rocks. I would return on my track south to pick it up. At least, that was the plan.

Please excuse the shitty screencap

Coasting back down the hillside and onto the tarmac, I continued north and to the border. I'll admit, I was nervous. I hadn't crossed into Canada in awhile, and at my last attempt back home I was turned back as my traveling companions threw awkwardly worded jokes the guards direction. I, of course, took the blame from them as I was the only one with a record. A misdemeanor. Screw 'em. Anyhow.... So the questions were answered and passports were exchanged before I was asked to pull ahead and wait in the inspection area. Great. I did as I was told and dismounted the bike, pulling my lid clear and removing my jacket in the shade from the relentless summer sun. What was going to happen now.... I looked over at an empty kennel in the back of the inspection area, and at a large empty table just to the left. Do I start emptying my boxes now? I really didn't know.

So the guard comes out and asks a few more questions. It took all I had not to smirk at the obviously Canadian accent. As we chatted, I heard another pair of bikes pull up to the border and cut out as exchanges were made. A few minutes later, one pulled up in the neighboring inspection area, followed by the other being pushed by it's rider. Clearly, they were having troubles. I watched from afar as they began removing the plastics and seat and investigating. I heard their dilemna and suggested they investigate the battery contacts. The older man, of this husband and wife duo, contemplated for a minute and came to a conclusion. “It needs a jump. Sometimes batteries just need to be jumped.” I didn't fully agree, but I wasn't about to intervene at the time. I was still being interrogated, after all. Jumper cables were borrowed and bikes were paired up. It wasn't long before sparks were flying and the white smoke was released. The husband sighs, and they start working on a solution. They could call a friend of theirs, but that would take several hours. Would AAA work in Canada? They could push the bike back to America, after all. It's here that I stepped in and unloaded my cache of tools on the inspection table before me. They had melted the contact clear off the battery, that was obvious. So I pulled put some safety wire and bound the battery cable to the remaining lead blob, insulating it all with copious amounts of gorilla tape. That seemed to do the trick as the bike fired right up.

They marveled at the repair, and at this point even the border guard had joined us in the conversation. She mentioned having just bought this exact bike, a Kawasaki Vulcan, and how much she enjoyed it. I laughed and we went on as I packed my tools back into my gear and got ready to move on, having been cleared to do so. It was here that introductions were passed. Steve and Maureen, from Spokane as it turned out. Maureen approached me and asked where I was headed. I merely smirked and shrugged as I'd gotten used to doing. “You're not on any kind of schedule?” Again, I smirked and said “no”. She walked back to Steve and they spoke for a bit, a phone call was made and they came back just as I'd finished packing up my stuff. “We've been talking, and you're coming with us. We're visiting some friends in Nelson, and you're coming to dinner.” And that was it, my evening was planned. Nuff said.

So we went on north, I kept to the back of the pack as I'd obviously no idea where I was, or even where we were going. It was a pretty cool ride. A gas fill up and we were on the road once again. It wasn't long before we pulled into the little town of Nelson, BC. They stopped at Wal-Mart in search for a replacement battery, but couldn't find an exact fit. I assured them that the battery was the same that my KLR used, and that the replacement I had been using was, in fact, available at Wal-Mart. We decided to tackle the issue later as light was fading and we still had several more miles, now kilometers, to go. Back on the road, across a giant orange bridge, and along the coast of a fairly large lake led us to a cable ferry. The novelty of this was fairly amusing to me. I'd never been on a ferry before, and although this was a pretty small one, it still put a big smirk on my face. It's here that I noticed the Greatful Dead bears plastered along the backside of both Steve and Maureen's helmets. Good people.

So we pulled off the ferry and down the road, entering the small town of Proctor located on the isolated spit of land. A gravel driveway led up a hillside to a small white house. This is where I met yet another character, Javier. Apparently, Javier was once Steve's student and they had become quick friends. I was introduced to the whole family, including Javier's wife, Cath. These were my kind of people. Salmon was grilled, beers were passed around, and we had just a fantastic time. I couldn't believe my luck. If I hadn't been stopped at the border, I'd be bushwacking it through the woods with a jar of Peanut Butter in my pack. Instead I was drinking micro brew and eating Salmon. Fan-fuckin-tastic. I was shown around the property, which included several out buildings and barns, two horses, several dogs (one absolutely enormous german shepherd), and a private rocky beach. I took the time to snap some photos, but for some reason I never got one of any of my new friends. I was having too much fun, I suppose. Just before nightfall, another local named Jim, a true woodsman, came baja-ing out of the woods on an ATV. We quickly began chatting and maps were laid out. He suggested several routes to take me up north, and insisted that I do The Haul Road. I shrugged and nodded. These decisions are getting easier and easier to settle on. So stories were shared, and the beer kept flowing well into the night. I can't say this enough, these are some very real, good people. I've never felt so welcomed into the home of someone who, mere hours before, were complete strangers. And here they were, opening up their home to me. My god, I love Canadians. I love Canadians.......? Eventually the alcohol took effect and I stumbled through the darkness, finding my tent in the horse pasture and fell asleep.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:12 PM   #36
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Fantastic! Great pics.

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:24 PM   #37
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,469
IN!
Because Alex, is just a wee bit less nuts then I am

Is this the trip before we met?
Old 02-23-2011, 09:49 PM   #38
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,643
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parepin View Post
You'll never be able to come even close to how awesome I am. Sorry to hafta break it to you like that. You probably shouldn't even bother trying.

BwaaaaaaaaHaaHaHaHaHaaaaaaa aaaaaaaOooo boy. I better be tak'n notes LOL.
Come on just pass the bowl back Bro
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:04 PM   #39
traindriver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
One of the best RRs I've read Reminds me of my yunger days. Before I gave a shit
traindriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:50 PM   #40
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Laugh Fill in pics?

[Quote]" I took the time to snap some photo's, but for some reason didn't get any of my new friends"
weeell here's some....if ya wanna use 'em.
The big Sheppard and a Javier's nice KZ.

Javier, Cath And Jim but it's frick'n dark!

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 03-01-2011 at 05:32 PM
Old 02-24-2011, 12:16 AM   #41
IceCreamSoldier
suffering somewhere

Oddometer: 478
good stuff
Old 02-24-2011, 09:11 AM   #42
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Fuckin awesome. Thanks a ton, Jim. Good pics.

Lemme know if you want me to re-host them to my Smug Mug so we don't lose 'em. I may do it anyway...

On that note, if you feel like splitting this smugmug account, lemme know, seeing as our ride reports are gonna merge before long.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:37 AM   #43
Thumpercrazee
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,293
Thumb

Very well done! Excellent adventure and photo report. Can't wait to see more!! Thanks for sharing

TC

2007 Star Stratoliner
2004 V-Strom 1000
Thumpercrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:12 PM   #44
MikeyT
Krusty Olde Pharte™

Oddometer: 5,115
Subscribed!

Edit: This is starting as the best one in a long time!

99 Shadow Spirit 1100

"Non Illegitimi Carborundum"

MikeyT screwed with this post 02-24-2011 at 01:09 PM
MikeyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:35 PM   #45
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parepin View Post
Fuckin awesome. Thanks a ton, Jim. Good pics.

Lemme know if you want me to re-host them to my Smug Mug so we don't lose 'em. I may do it anyway...

On that note, if you feel like splitting this smugmug account, lemme know, seeing as our ride reports are gonna merge before long.
Yea what ever will work. I've got them hosted and still saved on the SD cards too! (for insurance). Haha yea I figure I better start my ride report summer 2008 when I got back into bikes so that mine merges with yours when we meet up LOL.