Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2011, 09:42 PM   #496
thorzite
Ok, Hold my beer ...

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by smrchief View Post
I bounced over to this thread on a recommendation from Big Als thread and am glad I did..
... Big Al and Tom for that matter awesome RR and seem like solid guys ... too bad big Al seemed to have things constantly jumping in front of him ... he seemed to keep a great attitude though ...
Old 12-24-2011, 09:46 PM   #497
thorzite
Ok, Hold my beer ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parepin View Post
I KNEW she stole my sock! Yeesh... Oh well.

Thanks again Thorzite and to all of you guys in Phoenix. We had an awesome time and still find ourselves talking about it nearly every day.
... good shit man ... that Cindy's a damn sock thief ... your welcome here anytime man...stay safe
Old 12-24-2011, 09:51 PM   #498
thorzite
Ok, Hold my beer ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
If I go chas'n em' you can bet I'll do a layover at your place
look forward to it bud ... gimmie a shout! ... walleye ... them's some good eatin ... what part of Idaho Jim, I lived in Coeur d' alene for about a year ... gorgeous country man ... My old man is still up there ... well just outside Spokane ... I loved camping near the yak river in MT....good stuff man!

thorzite screwed with this post 12-24-2011 at 11:15 PM
thorzite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:29 AM   #499
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorzite View Post
look forward to it bud ... gimmie a shout! ... walleye ... them's some good eatin ... what part of Idaho Jim, I lived in Coeur d' alene for about a year ... gorgeous country man ... My old man is still up there ... well just outside Spokane ... I loved camping near the yak river in MT....good stuff man!
Yup delicious vittles them are Lewiston is home central when I'm west... Then all directions from there, mainly N Central Washington for Walleye on the Columbia, Grouse and other Upland birds "THE" Barter Faire, aka... Okanogan Family Fun Faire they call it now. Stuff like that, and of course the great riding maaan... Great riding!
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:36 PM   #500
Treadless
used 2 b aventuring

Oddometer: 5,214
a sighting in santa barbara

Hey guys, enjoyed meeting and shooting shit briefly this morning. glad i stopped... now i have another adventure to catch up on and follow.

Treadless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:01 PM   #501
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer: 1,082
Heya guys. Been having a blast here in Baja over the last couple of weeks. A few of you may have noticed that my GPS locator hasn't moved in the better part of two weeks and to be honest neither have I too much. The beach camp here just south of Loreto is the shit. Lots of snorkeling and fishing and hiking and all that jazz. Just livin the life, you know.

Well... it hasn't all been peachy keen. I've a question I would like to throw out there to you guys.

How

The

FUCK

Does THIS shit happen?

So I'm riding down the road one night, returning from town. There is nothing special or particularly hardcore about this road. No wheelies, no jumps, no hard hits. Just about 20 miles of washboard. I'm putzin along in fourth gear when the front falls off.

The front just fell off.

I hit the deck and slide to a stop. I may have cussed a few times before I strapped my tank bag to my back and walked some ten to fifteen miles back to camp. I don't think I made it back until well after 2AM.

Needless to say I was pretty pissed off.

And my mind still has trouble wrapping around HOW exactly this happened.

Before I left home i even sandblasted my frame and checked everything for any stress cracks before having it all powdercoated. I was lucky, though. I walked away from it with little more than a stiff knee after eating shit in fourth gear, which I estimate puts me somewhere between 45-50MPH. Had it been daylight hours I no doubt would have been going quite a bit quicker and could have really been in trouble. And now with the frame out of the way checking valves will be nice and easy.

So, anyway, I managed to work out a deal with a local farmer and hauled my bike over to his place for storage.

Now I haven't told anyone back home about any of this and probably won't until I get myself situated a little better. I was able to borrow Ian's bike to run into town and get the word out. As far as a game plan goes, I'm going to throw the rest of my camp gear into storage down at the beach camp for the time being and try to catch a ride back into town with just a backpack to haul around. I'll grab a hotel and try to figure out the logistics of it all. By the sounds of it I'll have to catch a bus down to La Paz and then catch a flight to Tijuana where I should be able to walk across the border back into San Diego. Either that or maybe catch a ride with some folks going north.

Once I'm across the border I'll be shopping around for a truck to both haul my bike north and live out of for the next several week-months while I try to establish myself on the west coast. A small diesel pickup with a cap would be nice, 4X4 would be superb, but beggars can't be choosers. When it all comes down to it, my main priority needs to be just go get north of the border and from there I can just wing it.

Now the reason I am posting all of this is that, simply put, I don't know anyone on the west coast short of Motomedic and he's a bit out of range. I'm open to any and all suggestions. I don't think I'll have a problem getting into San Diego and finding a place, motel or otherwise, to crash for a few. Everything else is kind of in the air.

And so if anyone has and ideas, lets hear them. I'll be posting in the regionals as well, but I'm limited with my communication around here. I've no cell phone and won't have WIFI again for another week after I get dropped off back in town again.

For what it's worth, I've about $6K to my name with which I'll be "Starting my new life". I'm willing to put about half of that into a (hopefully) reliable vehicle.
Parepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:06 PM   #502
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,579
NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:32 PM   #503
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Man that ssome shit luck, could the powder coating have weakened it with the heat process? Looks to be right in line with the fuel tank and obviously your running a larrrrrrrggggggggggeeeeeeeee tank so extra weight, just wondering if that had somehow stressed the frame and the powder coating process made it worse, add in loadsa off road and washboard...stress fracture

Cant help with accomodation as other side of the pond but good luck.

Could you not get a slightly bigger diameter tube and weld it in place over the crack to get you back mobile????
kwakbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:37 PM   #504
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakbiker View Post
Man that ssome shit luck, could the powder coating have weakened it with the heat process? Looks to be right in line with the fuel tank and obviously your running a larrrrrrrggggggggggeeeeeeeee tank so extra weight, just wondering if that had somehow stressed the frame and the powder coating process made it worse, add in loadsa off road and washboard...stress fracture

Cant help with accomodation as other side of the pond but good luck.

Could you not get a slightly bigger diameter tube and weld it in place over the crack to get you back mobile????
There are, no doubt, plenty of ways I could put the frame back together. The thing is, I doubt it would ever be straight again, and I KNOW I wouldn't feel safe at all riding it. Not to mention when the front end went AWOL it shredded my radiator as well as a few other odds and ends.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #505
fadingfastsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Hey man, I've been following this RR for months, never posted, but really enjoyed watching all the fun you're having.
I'd like to offer my help. I live in San Diego, about 30 minutes north of the border (Tijuana). I run RaceTech Electric we manufacture stators, voltage regulators and other electrical components) out of Ocean Beach (small suburb northwest of downtown SD). I run my biz out of a small but friendly full service repair motorcycle repair/parts/service shop, Ocean Beach Motorcycle. I've got a good welder, and I'm decent with it. I've got a Nissan Titan, I can help with rides and/or moving the bike from the border. We could move it over to the shop and weld up that frame pretty easily.

Anyways, I'm in San Diego, and available, and would be happy to help you out.
Shoot me a PM.
Evan
fadingfastsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #506
fadingfastsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Just thinking....theres a great motorcycle salvage place down towards the border in Chula Vista area, called Stockers. I use them for parts pretty often. Great chance they'd have a full KLR frame there. Maybe get a good used frame and swap everything over? Just a thought.
fadingfastsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #507
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadingfastsd View Post
Hey man, I've been following this RR for months, never posted, but really enjoyed watching all the fun you're having.
I'd like to offer my help. I live in San Diego, about 30 minutes north of the border (Tijuana). I run RaceTech Electric we manufacture stators, voltage regulators and other electrical components) out of Ocean Beach (small suburb northwest of downtown SD). I run my biz out of a small but friendly full service repair motorcycle repair/parts/service shop, Ocean Beach Motorcycle. I've got a good welder, and I'm decent with it. I've got a Nissan Titan, I can help with rides and/or moving the bike from the border. We could move it over to the shop and weld up that frame pretty easily.

Anyways, I'm in San Diego, and available, and would be happy to help you out.
Shoot me a PM.
Evan

Done
Old 01-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #508
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,579
+1 for RaceTech!
NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:41 PM   #509
Treadless
used 2 b aventuring

Oddometer: 5,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadingfastsd View Post
Just thinking....theres a great motorcycle salvage place down towards the border in Chula Vista area, called Stockers. I use them for parts pretty often. Great chance they'd have a full KLR frame there. Maybe get a good used frame and swap everything over? Just a thought.

Putting the word out in The West forum may also generate a frame to use. JAT

*edit* I see the word is already out.

Treadless screwed with this post 01-15-2012 at 05:02 PM
Treadless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:43 PM   #510
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
Unless things have drastically changed, you should be able to fly direct
from Loreto to San Diego. Short of that, the express bus is a comfy
ride from Loreto and a lot cheaper. If you find a frame, you can ship it
to Loreto on the bus.