Weekend Anarchist

Oddometer: 483
Old 07-02-2012, 12:28 AM   #647
pigpen
Gone Riding

Oddometer: 618
excellent ride

Alex,

I just hosted Parepin at my house in Portland for a few days after meeting up with him and Jettin'Jim at the Hell's canyon gathering! Here is small addition to his report as his computer is/was slowly failing.

I liked his ride report, riding style, and writing style, so I really wanted to meet him and chat with him. I had PM'd him a few weeks back and was holding a computer he had shipped to my house. I had taken off and did the same type of thing for 5 yrs when I was 26! It was different as I was traveling in a VW van and windsurfing anywhere from Hood River to Baja. That was a long time ago, but I remembered how cool it was to have a safe place to crash, clean up and get work done.
I was very impressed and very happy to have Alex in my home for and extended period of time. I was a really crappy host as I was just getting ready to move out of my house of 16yrs! My couch I promised him had sold during my Hell's Canyon trip, no complaints sleeping on a blow up mattress or the bean bag chairs, while I still had my bed. He pitched right in and helped me pack, move, and unload all my shit out of a 2500 sq ft house into a buddies house and a 10 x30 storage facility. I felt he was like a brother after a few hours of hanging w/ him and working with him. Not one complaint that was not in jest or kidding around! Riding around on a bike does not prepare you for manual labor. It was not easy work!

He showed up the first night with a slab of fresh salmon from the columbia river that he got from the native tribes that are able to fish and sell. Alas some jackass got into an accident north of my house, ran from the accident in his vehicle and took out a power pole, no power all friday night, no salmon, no internet, no lights. I had to find candles in my packing mess as we hung out after dinner at a local pub!
He also volunteered at OMRRA, Oregon Motorcycle Road Racing, for two days where I'm am the Race Director. Up at the crack of dawn and home after dark both days. I knew he was a motorcycle fanatic as it was raining Saturday morning and the look on his face was pure excitement when the first practice group went out! Shitty weather, no protection from the elements and he was smiling like a Chesire cat the whole day!
There was a lot to see as the electric bikes and sidecars were also racing this weekend. That evening we grilled up the salmon, veggies, rice, a topped it off w/ fresh watermelon for desert. We drank way too much local brew, etc. The picture of the salmon dinner will make most just drool! Alex, if you find that pic, add it to the report. I was soooo tasty! My camera was packed somewhere, still is.
Day 2 at Portland International Raceway Alex got closer to the action as he worked in corner #3, flagging and picking up wrecked bikes. I think he just flirted with all the girls though. Some how part of the party returned to my house an continued way too late.
Monday and Tuesday he helped me move! I'm a contractor and I have a lot of heavy tools, scaffolding, equipment, etc. Muchas gracias my friend. I made him take a few bits of kit that did not fit me, merino wool shirt, windstopper shirt, Gortex liner, and some gloves to replace his old tattered ones. He reluctantly accepted these gifts, as I insisted he take them, they were extras anyway. I was glad he accepted them though. Alex blazed to The Dalles to meet up w/ another inmate tues. night but was back for more work on Wed. When he got back, he was super excited with the new gear. He really helped out tremendously, as I had to be out by thursday and we accomplished this. He took off in the afternoon on thursday to go ride w/ some other inmates as I returned to work.
The only bad part was that we never got to ride together as he showed up at the rally a tad late and I had to get home to finish work, pack, and take care of all the details. I ripped the 435 miles home in a day as he took a few days top get there. My XR650R was already at another friends house, and no time to take off and ride.
He left after four days of working w/ me and came back for more punishment. Although I took good care of him w/ food and beer, etc. I could not ask for a better house guest. If I was not headed to Colorado to visit my parents w/ my son for a few weeks , I would have hired him on the spot.
Thank you Alex for your ride report, all the help you extended me in a tough time for me and a new friendship that reflects what ADV is all about! We will ride together soon. If all goes as planned the two rides we are looking into will be off the charts cool! I'm not at liberty to reveal them as this his ride report and it will be a miracle if I can make it happen but I am going to try my best to join you in your adventure.
If you think you understand someone in their ride report musings, bring them into your home and get to know them better! You probably won't be disappointed, at the very least your out a few beers and a meal, but on the other hand it could be quite an experience.
Good luck my friend and safe travels! Until we ride again!

Having fun is not a sport! It's a full time job for some of us!
pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:46 AM   #648
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,575
Right on Pigpen. Sounds like some good "Misadventures" were had in P-Town. Hope you are enjoying the area Parepin.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #649
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer: 1,076
I'm still around, and still on the road. Just bein a bit less active around here. Maybe I should ride more and write less. I'll see what I can do.

Yeah, it's been an interesting ride, that's for sure. I've met up with old friends...

Met some new ones...

Had some classic shenanigans.

Epic rides...

Surreal moments...

And friendly strangers...

I found my long lost brother...

And had a bromantic dinner...

The races!

The bikes!

The... high tech lap counter.... I kept my hands in my pockets.

And met yet another long lost brother! This is Brian, who happens to be the LEAST photogenic mofo I've ever met. Two pictures of him came out...

Somewhere between these two there's a good photo. I'm not there yet.

And that's just been the last few weeks. I'm in Idaho now, just kind of hanging out and riding a bit. I plan on another month of wandering before I NEED to make a move. I'm also looking at flying home and having some hardware removed as I seem to be having some problems lately. But rest assured, I'm still out there doing what I do and taking notes.

Thanks to TJ for an awesome time, and for helping me become painfully aware of how out of shape I have become. Good times, and I'll keep you posted as any shits and giggles rides develop. And the gear, lets not forget the bad ass gear.

Thanks to Fey for teaming up as we battled some of the back country roads of central Oregon. I had a blast killing copious amounts of time with ya!

Thanks to Brian for showing me around, givin me a place to crash, showing me where to find the best fuckin burrito in town, and for the care package. We'll hafta hit up the mountain again, soon.

And, of course, Feike and Jettin Jim. These two have continually pointed me in the right direction for years now as far as EVERYTHING moto related. Gear, parts, tools, maintenance, if you've got a question, there's an answer between the two of them. Great guys and I've always had a blast just cruisin, drinkin, chillin, and bullshittin. I even got a few nuggets of wisdom out of the fucks, and have adjusted my lifestyle and outlook accordingly.

I know I've been dragging ass on this, but I haven't forgotten it. When things slow down, which they surely will, I'll be back with a vengence. I've got thirty gigs of pictures to show off and some good stories to tell. I'm giddy with anticipation.

And, of course, if anyone wants to go for a ride, just drop me a PM. I've surprised several people on this ride so far when I show up at their front door, like they never expected me to pull in. I've got nothing better to do and I'm just looking for an excuse to ride!
Parepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #650
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,616
hell yeah!
woodly1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #651
fadingfastsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Hey Polito! You filthy Nomad...when are your updates coming on your 2 month vacation on my couch in San Diego? hahah where are you bud!?
fadingfastsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #652
frank wheelbarrow
ten four

Oddometer: 710
Thanks for the update been along for the ride since the beginning.
Safe place to leave bike, here in northern Utah.
know that they are only 5 outcomes at the end of the two weeks: Finish, Mechanical, Abandon, Injuries, Death.
frank wheelbarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #653
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,390
So you're in Idaho and always up for a ride? You didn't say which part of Idaho.

Meet at the Country Kitchen in Athol at 8:00am Saturday morning we're going for a dual sport ride, do some scouting, geocaching, and finding the best milkshake in Northern Idaho.

It was nice meeting you at the Hells Canyon Gathering and I'm glad Pig Pen showed you a good time in Portland.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:01 PM   #654
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadingfastsd View Post
Hey Polito! You filthy Nomad...when are your updates coming on your 2 month vacation on my couch in San Diego? hahah where are you bud!?
Hey buddy! Two months on the couch, that's some bullshit. I found myself waiting on you to get on your goddamn bike and go for a ride than anything. How can a man own such a beautiful machine and just leave it parked? Shame on you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
So you're in Idaho and always up for a ride? You didn't say which part of Idaho.

Meet at the Country Kitchen in Athol at 8:00am Saturday morning we're going for a dual sport ride, do some scouting, geocaching, and finding the best milkshake in Northern Idaho.

It was nice meeting you at the Hells Canyon Gathering and I'm glad Pig Pen showed you a good time in Portland.
I would be there in a heart beat if I were still in the area. Jettn Jim and I are up at his sister's place in Washington at the moment. I guess the plan is to hit up as many of these back country roads up this way as we can before returning to Lewiston for a change of tires and some gear, then on the road again. We'll meet up down the road, though. I'm sure of that.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:01 PM   #655
azwheelin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Dude, I think I love you,.... of course just in a broman way, but still the same. Good luck to you man! I really enjoy your stories!
azwheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:57 AM   #656
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Oddometer: 2,145
If you need a place to crash/eat/rest in SLC ever, drop a line.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #657
Satonic
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Converted me to a inmate too!

I started reading just before bed. Big mistake.... oh well guess i'll sleep tomo night instead!

Truly epic...

I too would offer you a place to stay / a warm meal however I live in Bangkok, Thailand so if you ever drift as far as Asia hit me up!

Stay Safe, Stay Happy.
Satonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #658
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedvw View Post
If you need a place to crash/eat/rest in SLC ever, drop a line.
Awesome

..... where the hell is SLC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satonic View Post
Converted me to a inmate too!

I started reading just before bed. Big mistake.... oh well guess i'll sleep tomo night instead!

Truly epic...

I too would offer you a place to stay / a warm meal however I live in Bangkok, Thailand so if you ever drift as far as Asia hit me up!

Stay Safe, Stay Happy.
Welcome aboard, my friend. You can say goodbye to any productivity over the next few days/weeks/months.

And Asia may be a possibility, you never know.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #659
fadingfastsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parepin View Post
Hey buddy! Two months on the couch, that's some bullshit. I found myself waiting on you to get on your goddamn bike and go for a ride than anything. How can a man own such a beautiful machine and just leave it parked? Shame on you...
I get that you don't understand this concept at all Polito, it's completely foreign to you. The reason I couldn't ride every day was simple.... I HAVE A JOB!
hahahah

Now come back to San Diego so we can have some more fun.
Oh, and stator/reg kits in the mail on Monday for you & Jim.
fadingfastsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:52 PM   #660
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Jobs are for suckers. I plan on making my return. After all, we need to check out the Salton Sea. I get the feeling that this may be the wrong time of the year to visit the desert, though. We should make a go of it, though. Maybe even cruise up into Joshua Tree or something, if you can get the time off. I've seen how you live, with all the luxuries and what have you. Throwing around hot water like it fucking grows on trees and downing bowls of legit Frosted Flakes like it aint no shit, rather than the far thriftier Flaked Frosts. Get back to your roots, dude.

Oh, and thank you, good sir. You are truly some kind of gentleman. Your brother, on the other hand, needs to get laid and catch a tan. You can tell him Polito said so.

Nomad Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadingfastsd View Post
I get that you don't understand this concept at all Polito, it's completely foreign to you. The reason I couldn't ride every day was simple.... I HAVE A JOB!
hahahah

Now come back to San Diego so we can have some more fun.
Oh, and stator/reg kits in the mail on Monday for you & Jim.