Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #676
fadingfastsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Hey Polito you filthy bast....wait, I feel bad for you! It's a new feeling. Anyways, I'm really bummed to hear about this latest setback. I almost shit a brick hearing one of the stator mounting bolts came loose, seeing as how I put in the stator. As I sit there and think about it, I locktited the living shit out of all the mounting hardware, (which we have on video hahah). Then I remembered you'd swapped the stator since. Did you guys go heavy on the locktite when you reinstalled the stator mounting hardware? I have seen this happen on more than one occasion, and it's always been a lack of threadlocker on the stator to case mounting bolts. This allows them to vibrate loose, and walk back out of the threads....usually resulting in just what happened to you.

Anyways, let me know how I can help. I owe you for those jetski batteries (which were unfortunately never put into service), and I'll see what else I can scrounge together. Give me a call and get me update. I'll help however I can.

-E
fadingfastsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:27 PM   #677
fadingfastsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Oh, and I've got an open room at the house again. Come move to San Diego for the winter. It could be worse...
fadingfastsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #678
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer: 1,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadingfastsd View Post
Hey Polito you filthy bast....wait, I feel bad for you! It's a new feeling. Anyways, I'm really bummed to hear about this latest setback. I almost shit a brick hearing one of the stator mounting bolts came loose, seeing as how I put in the stator. As I sit there and think about it, I locktited the living shit out of all the mounting hardware, (which we have on video hahah). Then I remembered you'd swapped the stator since. Did you guys go heavy on the locktite when you reinstalled the stator mounting hardware? I have seen this happen on more than one occasion, and it's always been a lack of threadlocker on the stator to case mounting bolts. This allows them to vibrate loose, and walk back out of the threads....usually resulting in just what happened to you.

Anyways, let me know how I can help. I owe you for those jetski batteries (which were unfortunately never put into service), and I'll see what else I can scrounge together. Give me a call and get me update. I'll help however I can.

-E
Not your fault, man. That bolt was the last thing I fucked with, and thus, the first thing to go. I thought I loctited everything, but thinking back, I don't think I cleaned them beforehand all that well. I can see oil contaminating the threads and keeping the loctite from bonding. Either way, what's done is done.

In a weird way, I feel fairly fortunate. Jim and I had chosen to take the remote pass over the mountains rather than the highway around them. Had I been going at highway speeds when it kicked loose and locked up, who knows how it could have gone down. Being on the mountain, all I had to do was pull in the clutch and coast. The entire incident put me in touch with a lot of cool people in a really cool town, and I found some work and a place to stay out of the whole ordeal in an area that is abso-fucking-lutely beautiful. I can stand in front of the window in this unfinished loft, look over the rolling hills and watch the sun set behind nearly half a dozen mountains...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadingfastsd View Post
Oh, and I've got an open room at the house again. Come move to San Diego for the winter. It could be worse...
Be careful with offers like that. You remember what happened last time you offered me a place to crash for a few days.
Parepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #679
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,470
Janis? Don't wanna walk away from it? Geez Al, you're killin' me here....

Guess I know where to find ya, kinda. Might have to swing thru Colorado on my way east.

A bit further south than I had planned though.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:05 PM   #680
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post
Janis? Don't wanna walk away from it? Geez Al, you're killin' me here....

Guess I know where to find ya, kinda. Might have to swing thru Colorado on my way east.

A bit further south than I had planned though.

You're assuming that a KTM will take you that far.

You're an optimist. We need more people like you out there.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:02 PM   #681
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parepin View Post
You're an optimist. We need more people like you out there.
I'm thinking this is one time the old saying about pots, kettles and the color black would be a compliment....

(and look up the word "anthropomorphize" again...)

Old 08-12-2012, 11:58 PM   #682
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Quote:
(and look up the word "anthropomorphize" again...)

You leave Janis out of this, you bastard. She and I had a good talk under the influence and I promised her that I would NOT abandon her.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:30 AM   #683
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

As a professional mechanic, I don't understand the concept of attaching names, etc to machines. They're collections of parts that happen to go down the road under their own power (kinda). As much as I love my 950, when it's time has come (not casting any aspersions), I will walk away from the smoking pile with no regrets. I'll then run right out and buy another as soon as I can.

Now back to the ride report, dammit! You're stuck with a broken bike again, you've obviously got a functioning computer/internet connection, get to writin', son!

Old 08-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #684
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Quote:
As a professional mechanic, I don't understand the concept of attaching names, etc to machines. They're collections of parts that happen to go down the road under their own power (kinda). As much as I love my 950, when it's time has come (not casting any aspersions), I will walk away from the smoking pile with no regrets. I'll then run right out and buy another as soon as I can.

Now back to the ride report, dammit! You're stuck with a broken bike again, you've obviously got a functioning computer/internet connection, get to writin', son!
I didn't name her for what it's worth. Someone else did. It just kinda stuck. That being said, accepting the name and personality has been the biggest mistake I've made in a while. I find myself talking to Janis, now. It's fucked up, I know, but the road is a lonely place.

Oh, and... yeah... I'm working on it.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #685
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,964
Quote:
....accepting the name and personality has been the biggest mistake I've made in a while.
Sure?
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:41 PM   #686
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Sure?
I thought we agreed not to bring this up in public...
Old 08-14-2012, 07:39 AM   #687
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I thought we agreed not to bring this up in public...
Don't know what you're talking about.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
Old 08-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #688
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,699
Quote:
You leave Janis out of this, you bastard. She and I had a good talk under the influence and I promised her that I would NOT abandon her.
I would have hated to see you leave her out there.

Sometimes a motorcycle comes along, you spend hours, days, months, years of quality time with it and it developes a personality. With the personality a name happens..... People that have never encountered this will never understand because it's just a pile of parts. Not every bike has a personality many are just piles of parts and even though they are tons of fun they are just bikes. Some bikes have souls and when you encounter one of those bikes with souls you have something special. Those bikes with souls are rarely the pretty bikes that shine when the sun hits them and they wear their battle scars with pride.

Let's hear it for Janis

And the stange man that showers with her.

Alex, I hope you and Janis are back out doing what you do best soon.
"Be real careful which and who's dream you get caught up in!!!" ~ Jettn Jim
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:41 PM   #689
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,546
Janis is starting to remind me of CACK!
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:03 AM   #690
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmo View Post
Janis is starting to remind me of CACK!
I know I don't know you, but by virtue of being friends with Alex.... is there anything that doesn't remind you of cack?